TA Same Price as RCCL - Common?

lyadams

I have not cruised for about 2 years and we've always used the same TA for 4 cruises. They are currently working on a cruise for a group of mine in '09.

Question - is it common for the TA's price to be the same as RCCL site and Travelocity? We've always received a quote lower than what you can get on line - but again, that was two years ago. We are also not getting any additional "perks" that they've told me (re: no paying of fuel, taxes, gratuity)

Will continue to book through them as has been great service and I don't want to walk away. Was just curious as to what the common practice is these days. Thanks for the input!

TA's can sometimes book a group with lower rates than RCI. Last fall my TA reserved 100 cabins which she marketed as a group on FOS, and we got a rate about $100 less than direct from RCI at that time. At any rate, your TA should give you something, at least a bottle of wine.

Travel agencies cannot discount Royal Caribbean. That is why you'll see all the prices the same.

Is this a recent development? It seems to me in years past we got lower quotes from the TA but the last 2-3 years the prices are the same as RCCL. We also don't get any perks from our TA, I'm thinking maybe it's time to shop around for a TA who does give some perks, we've dealt with this one for at least 17 years, but the TA company is changing their policies and customer service.

I'm a little upset with them because when I asked for a price quote on an upcoming cruise recently, they pulled the port charges out as a separate line item because their new slogan is they are

' "unbeatable" so we will match any or even beat any competitor out there'

I have never had them split the port charges out of the base cruise price before so I think this is just a way for their base price to look lower than the others who include them. It makes me feel like they are trying to pull a fast one over on me, when I questioned why it was a separate line item they just said you always have to pay that.

Thanks everyone for your insight. It is very interesting.

RC stopped giving discounts a few years ago :( Best any one can do is find a resident or senior discount or a TA that gives perks.

BTW....we are not allowed to discuss any TA's or mention any big on-line TA's that too stopped a few years ago! :eek:

Welcome to CC.....I agree that is is very interesting!!! :)

Archived