Has anyone ever gotten an upgrade they didn't want?

EydieG

This may seem really strange, but here is what happened. We thought we had picked specific cabins. We were on a low deck, but we had two rooms right next door and only one room down from the elevator, right in the middle of the ship. We are taking my mom for her first cruise and wanted to be next door. Also, she has trouble walking too much so near the elevator in the middle seemed perfect. When I went online to fill out the forms I noticed different room numbers. I called our TA (Sunday night) and she said she had made a mistake and booked a catagory of cabin instead of a specific cabins. Carnival upgraded us one deck. That was nice but the rooms are on totally differents ends of the ship. We were told the person dealing with group booking (our TA's company buys groups of cabins) was closed on Monday for Labor Day and now our TA is off on Tuesday and Wednesday, so now we have to wait until Thursday to try to get something worked out. I'm so frustrated! What are the chances that we will be able to get two rooms together or even close at this late date without having to pay more? (our cruise price has gone up since we booked)

I have never gotten an upgrade I didn't want, however, it sounds like you have. Before you stress over this, wait until you talk to your TA. If there is someone in the office who can handle this I'd call as soon as you can. Your TA if they are worth their salt should be able to fix this and make it right. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Did you book a GTY or a 4A or 6A type of rate? Hopefully your TA can work it out for you. I once was upgraded from a 1A to a 4A, but the 4A was on the other end of the ship from the people I was traveling with. My PVP was able to move me to a 4A closer to my friends, but still not right next door.

Did you book a GTY or a 4A or 6A type of rate? Hopefully your TA can work it out for you. I once was upgraded from a 1A to a 4A, but the 4A was on the other end of the ship from the people I was traveling with. My PVP was able to move me to a 4A closer to my friends, but still not right next door.

The OP said she booked two specific cabins near each other. The TA evidently booked 2 guarantees it sounds like from the assignments. Thats why everyone is saying the TA made a mistake... and needs to fix it.

The OP said she booked two specific cabins near each other. The TA evidently booked 2 guarantees it sounds like from the assignments. Thats why everyone is saying the TA made a mistake... and needs to fix it.

Hmmm a TA books a gty instead of assigned cabins and I have to ask did they charge you (OP) for a gty or for the assigned cabins? I ask because I'd be curious to see if this is a way for them to make more money.

This is not an upgrade that you didn't want. This is your TA following their own agenda instead of yours. TA booked you as guarantee cabins, Carnival just put you where they needed to. 100% TA's job to correct and EAT all expense. But since they followed their own agenda already, WATCH OUT, any excuse they come up with is likely self serving.

I much prefer TA's over PVP's, but have never claimed or thought all TA's were perfect.

Dan

There also should be someone who could "step-in" while someone is out of the office. A customer shouldn't have to wait this long to get an answer. Sounds like another person just doesn't want to step up to the plate and take care of this.

Good luck to you!

This is the reason we ditched our TA after one particular cruise.

I honestly wonder if they knowingly book a different category in order for them to make more money....just hoping it won't turn out sour.

I agree with others that the TA needs to make good on this. I'd also ask to speak to your TA's supervisor. Then again, I am not patient and willing to wait till she returned....

Sounds like your TA dropped the ball.

When you first booked didn't you receive an invoice with your specific cabin numbers on it? If you did take that back to the TA and tell them to make it right. If she booked a group then they need to do some fast shuffling.........

Carnival can not upgrade you from a assigned cabin without your consent first, or in the case of you using a TA, Carnival assumes that the TA will contact you for approval and that the TA got it before contacting Carnival back to agree to the change.

The only way Carnival would "just" change your cabins is if you had booked a Handicap Cabin and really didn't need it, while a truly handicapped person does ........... but again, they would consult with you through your TA before making the change. Now they might just do it if you booked a Quad or Triple Cabin for only 2 people and needed it for a larger party/family, but they still confer with your TA about the issue.

Your TA goofed and needs to make it right, if you still have problems, request a 3 way conversation between you, the TA and Carnival to get this worked out. Carnival will not speak to you directly since you elected to book through a TA, but the will talk to you with the TA on the line also.

Touchy issues here. There is also some element of buyer due diligence to ensure that you got what you asked for.

Do you have your request for 2 cabins next to each other in writing? They can simply claim you did not ask for that and they booked 2 cabins as you "requested". Now it's your word versus theirs.

Did you sign and return a contract to the agency? That essentially means you agree to what has been booked for you (and probably adds some cancellation fees and other terms and conditions.)

Carnival can not upgrade you from a assigned cabin without your consent first, or in the case of you using a TA, Carnival assumes that the TA will contact you for approval and that the TA got it before contacting Carnival back to agree to the change.

Nope, we had a specific cabin booked once, and found out at the pier that they upgraded us without notifying us or our TA (He's a good friend so I know he was telling the truth about not being notified) We picked the specific cabin on a specific side of the ship and did not want the upgrade.

Since our cabin was gone, we made the best of it. We did get the chance to experience a cat 11 and found out we'd never pay for one.

So, while it doesn't happen often, Carnival can and will upgrade people without consulting them.

But best wishes to the OP. I'm sure there will be some solution to this! Keep us posted!

This may seem really strange, but here is what happened. We thought we had picked specific cabins. We were on a low deck, but we had two rooms right next door and only one room down from the elevator, right in the middle of the ship. We are taking my mom for her first cruise and wanted to be next door. Also, she has trouble walking too much so near the elevator in the middle seemed perfect. When I went online to fill out the forms I noticed different room numbers. I called our TA (Sunday night) and she said she had made a mistake and booked a catagory of cabin instead of a specific cabins. Carnival upgraded us one deck. That was nice but the rooms are on totally differents ends of the ship. We were told the person dealing with group booking (our TA's company buys groups of cabins) was closed on Monday for Labor Day and now our TA is off on Tuesday and Wednesday, so now we have to wait until Thursday to try to get something worked out. I'm so frustrated! What are the chances that we will be able to get two rooms together or even close at this late date without having to pay more? (our cruise price has gone up since we booked)

First, call now and talk to a manager. Explain carefully that the TA made a mistake and it is up to them to fix it, regardless of the cost, at their expense.

Secondly, after they fix it, fire the bum and get a real TA or PVP!

I was under the impression that I was using a real TA. She is from a company that has advertised on these board pages (I guess I'm not supposed to mention them by name). I just received an e-mail from her although her phone line says she isn't in the office today that said not many cabins are left and they "may" be able to get us in a cabin "close" to another one. I didn't put my request in writing (never have, should I?) but I did receive a cruise confirmation shortly after booking that says the original cabin numbers on it. TA says it is her fault for putting it in as a guarantee.

Her e-mail says she is still trying to get it resolved. Tomorrow is her regular work day and if we don't get it straight by then I'll ask fo speak to a manager. I'm just worried that if all the cabins are booked, what can they do?

I was under the impression that I was using a real TA. She is from a company that has advertised on these board pages (I guess I'm not supposed to mention them by name). I just received an e-mail from her although her phone line says she isn't in the office today that said not many cabins are left and they "may" be able to get us in a cabin "close" to another one. I didn't put my request in writing (never have, should I?) but I did receive a cruise confirmation shortly after booking that says the original cabin numbers on it. TA says it is her fault for putting it in as a guarantee.

Her e-mail says she is still trying to get it resolved. Tomorrow is her regular work day and if we don't get it straight by then I'll ask fo speak to a manager. I'm just worried that if all the cabins are booked, what can they do?

That sounds like a good plan. I just went on a search site and while there weren't a lot of cabins for your cruise, most of the catagories had 2 cabins next to each other available, so I think you have a chance!

Best Wishes!

Archived