Please tell me about Crown Princess

Carnival Game

My 21-year old son and I enjoy Carnival but this ship seems to have so many activities! Is it easy to find your way around this huge ship? Does it seem overly crowded? What do you like best and least about the Crown?

I'm looking way ahead to Nov '09 because we already have a cruise planned for Nov '08. Travel agents are quoting me prices for the 7-day Caribbean of $730 apiece for an inside cabin, total, all taxes & surcharges included. Is that a decent price or should I wait and look for the price to drop?

My 21-year old son and I enjoy Carnival but this ship seems to have so many activities! Is it easy to find your way around this huge ship? Does it seem overly crowded? What do you like best and least about the Crown?

I'm looking way ahead to Nov '09 because we already have a cruise planned for Nov '08. Travel agents are quoting me prices for the 7-day Caribbean of $730 apiece for an inside cabin, total, all taxes & surcharges included. Is that a decent price or should I wait and look for the price to drop?

We have sailed the Crown 3 times and loved every one.

Beautiful decor, as you said lots of activities, good ports and good value. ;)

I would not wait as the price may go up.

It's a lovely ship, a bit fancier than Carnival ships. My son enjoyed the teen activities. I always do a walkaround upon boarding, and had no trouble finding my way around at all. Did not find it overcrowded; never felt the 3,000 people on board. I like the adults-only areas, movies under the stars (MUTS), themed buffets, cabins, etc. Can't come up with anything I didn't like. I reviewed this ship in December so read full review on that page if you like.

If you book and the price drops, you can call and usually get the price adjusted.

ENJOY

If you're taking your son along, keep in mind that the experience on the Crown will be much different than Carnival. While Carnival is a big party, the Crown is much more sedate. It has no night life to speak of and you can walk the decks around 10:00PM and be lucky to see anyone. Daytime has much more activity, but you won't see the hairy chested, 400lb gorilla belly flop into the pool to the cheers of intoxicated guests either.

That said, the Crown is much more relaxing and elegant than what you will experience on a Carnival cruise and the food is much better. Even the buffet food is excellent. And although it is a very big ship, it is easy to find your way around and has many places and things to do.

I'll be going on my third Princess cruise and my third one on the Crown. One of these days I'm sure I'll try another Princess ship, but if the Crown was my only choice, I would be more than happy to sail her again and again.

If you're taking your son along, keep in mind that the experience on the Crown will be much different than Carnival. While Carnival is a big party, the Crown is much more sedate. It has no night life to speak of and you can walk the decks around 10:00PM and be lucky to see anyone.

That was one thing I was going to ask about. My son is far from a party animal but still likes to hear music at 11:00 and would like to find a few people (male or female) his age to hang out with during the week. Does Princess cater to an older crowd much like HAL?

That was one thing I was going to ask about. My son is far from a party animal but still likes to hear music at 11:00 and would like to find a few people (male or female) his age to hang out with during the week. Does Princess cater to an older crowd much like HAL?
Having sailed on HAL and Princess I would say that Princess is very much like HAL and does draw an older crowd. But with a ship that size there are bound to be at least a few younger people onboard.

Much depends on when you go as well. If you go during spring break or Christmas break there will be many more younger people than usual.

Skywalkers is the late night disco. Your son will be able to find people there to hang out with and listen to music...dance.

Princess caters to a diverse group...older crowd, families, younger couples, middle agers. They do tend to roll up the sidewalks early...usually by 11pm or so. But, if you are looking for entertainment after that time, you can find it.

If you are looking for a better price for your cabin, go to one of those online TA's that give multiple price quotes for competing TA's. If the price drops later on, give your TA a call and they can get the price drop. Enjoy your cruise.:)

The Crown is a beautiful ship. Both you and your son will find plenty to do. They usually have pool activities during the days for the younger set and you can relax at the Terrace (adult) pool. There is the disco for late night for your son, lots of music late in to the night.

I have never felt any Princess ship crowded. They have a knack for keeping the hoardes moving with plenty of places to sit and relax. etc. without feeling crowded. Some people still don't get how to manage their way around the buffet area :D but we don't eat there too often anyway.

As others have said, book it, you have plenty of time to cancel if you wish and watch the pricing. If it goes down, your TA will credit you up until final payment day.:)

Join the rollcall and meet others on your sailing. Perhaps there will be some other young men your son's age.

If memory serves me right, the Caribe, Dolphin or Emerald(?) seem to be good quiet decks?
Those are the lower ones so they will be more quiet. Except I have heard some people complain about teh aft cabins on Emerald which are right above a club.

Oh no, I just realized the Crown leaves on a Saturday, which will require an extra day of missed work in order to fly in the day before. The Emerald leaves on Sunday and is about the same price. Is the Emerald just as good?
Sister ships, they are the same the Emerald is only 1 year old and the Crown 2.

Those are the lower ones so they will be more quiet. Except I have heard some people complain about teh aft cabins on Emerald which are right above a club.
Just FYI, I was on the Crown in July, right above Club Fusion and there was NEVER any noise. None. Extremely quiet.

Archived