News: Oct 26 Miami<=>West Carib cancelled -- NCL not fully refunding costs.

EugeneD

One in particular is HAL:

Ship Name: blank.gif

Westerdamblank.gifblank.gifSailing Date(s): October 26, 2008blank.gifPorts of Call: Departs From Ft. Lauderdale, Florida visiting Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (Private Island); Grand Turk Island; George Town, Grand Cayman; Costa Maya, Mexico

Thanks for the suggestion, I ended up going with this approach. Compared to NCL, I am afraid there's less entertainment at night, and less restaurant choices, so hopefully I won't be bored by the end, but I know overall it's a quality ship/food/service and all that.

(The RCL was pricier, and NCL from NYC, my wife had concerns about Bermuda weather in October, plus someone told me it's a 20min cab ride to the beach -- for 3 days in a row, it may feel like a commute).

Now I just need to figure out how to get from Miami to Ft Lauderdale. We fly in the night before at 10pm, and I've got a paid-for hotel in South Beach. I was planning to just roll out of bed and board our ship in Miami. So now, what's the best choice -- going back to the airport the next morning for the airport shuttle makes no sense, right? Should we just rent a car that morning -- can it be returned somewhere close to the port? Otherwise, cab ride of 30 miles will be very expensive right?

Thanks for the suggestion, I ended up going with this approach. Compared to NCL, I am afraid there's less entertainment at night, and less restaurant choices, so hopefully I won't be bored by the end, but I know overall it's a quality ship/food/service and all that.

(The RCL was pricier, and NCL from NYC, my wife had concerns about Bermuda weather in October, plus someone told me it's a 20min cab ride to the beach -- for 3 days in a row, it may feel like a commute).

Now I just need to figure out how to get from Miami to Ft Lauderdale. We fly in the night before at 10pm, and I've got a paid-for hotel in South Beach. I was planning to just roll out of bed and board our ship in Miami. So now, what's the best choice -- going back to the airport the next morning for the airport shuttle makes no sense, right? Should we just rent a car that morning -- can it be returned somewhere close to the port? Otherwise, cab ride of 30 miles will be very expensive right?

Probably going back to the airport would be the best bet, but check with your hotel to see what kind of suggestions they may have. I think you will be surprised with HAL> Though we love NCL, there are certain aspects of HAL that are very special. You are right, there will not be as much going on at night but there usually is something, the entertainment, though geared to the older cruiser is usually pretty good and for food is very good. Remember the shorter the cruise the more it attracts a little younger crowd, you will be fine. Good luck,,,

Nita

Take a cab which will cost around $80. Then submit the receipt to NCL. Since you are not dinging them for the $200 in air change fees, you can make the case for the reimbursement of the cab fare.

The suggestion above is great! Make lemonade out of lemons and I'll just bet this will be one of your very best vacations EVER! We love HAL, too, as well as NCL and Celebrity and never feel we are "missing" anything sailing any of these lines. The ambience on HAL is definitely a bit upscale from NCL, but that can be great. (Don't miss their afternoon high teas, for instance!)

The only difficulty you might have would be in the dining room. Do you have dress clothes with you? If not, you'll probably have to eat in the buffet a couple of nights. That's not so bad though...I ate there for 14 days on a HAL cruise because the table service was so bad and we still enjoyed the food.

Super Shuttle may be something to look into from the airport; they are at all the airports in Florida and have main phone numbers for Palm Beach; Broward and Miami-Dade. They are quite reasonable and very reliable. I don't know if I'm allowed to post business phone numbers, but if you google, they'll come up. Not sure if they go airport-to-airport (haven't done this myself), but it's worth asking. Good luck.

Archived