News: Oct 26 Miami<=>West Carib cancelled -- NCL not fully refunding costs.

EugeneD

Oct 26 West Carib (Roatan, Belize) from Miami has been cancelled.

NCL offers 25% back as a 12-month credit towards another cruise.

In addition, $100 per ticket will be refunded for flight changes.

Unfortunately, US Airways charges $150 to change or cancel non-refundable tickets, and Orbitz another $30 -- leaving me $80 in the hole per person so far. Customer Relations suggests faxing my receipt -- AFTER I pay for it -- and only then they will review to see IF they will refund the additional $80.

As for the credit, I need to scramble onto another cruise line as NCL has nothing to Carribbean during those dates, so that means the 25% credit is towards my NEXT cruise -- which may not be in exactly 12 months, not everyone cruises that often. Again, customer relations advises they may honor the credit 6 months after expiration, but again cannot guarantee and suggest I first allow those credits to expire, and then beg to have them honored.

Is this normal? Are there any ideas for me to be made whole under this scenario, either by NCL, or any creative ideas on the forum how to re-arrange my itinerary given this constraint from NCL? I have flights from Philadelphia to Miami round-trip, Oct 26 to Nov 2, already booked.

Honestly, I've never heard of a cruise line canceling a cruise and not offering a full refund! As far as airfare booked outside the cruise line, that's what insurance is for. This is very confusing.

I went to the NCL website, and the Pearl's Oct. 26th is still available to be booked. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

Did you check the cruises leaving from Fort Lauderdale on that date? It is really an easy shuttle to get to Fort Lauderdale from Miami airport. I think Princess and HAL leave from there. Carnival has cruises leaving from Miami on October 26th as well. You know what they say, "Where there's a will, there's a way" Good luck

The $100 for flight changes is fairly standard across the industry. I know that in the past when RCCL, for example, has had delayed or cancelled sailings that has been the amount they have offered for flight changes - but people who kept receipts for reasonable amounts of additional charges (extra flight charges, non-refundable hotels etc) and wrote a polite letter to the company got those charges refunded as well.

Well, there are other cruiseline options from Ft L., but then I'd probably lose my 25% rebooking credit.

I imagine the other displaced folks are rushing to do the same, so feel rushed. I don't want to feel like I'm being coerced into sailing on a ship I would not normally go, all the while paying full price for the pleasure..

As for Miami, I think the hotel/etc would cost the same as a cruise anyway, but I am considering it..

Considering the cruise line is not obligated to offer ANY compensation other than the cruise fare paid, I think the OP should be grateful for the assistance offered, and follow up with a fax requesting additional reimbursement.

You may get it or you may not, but you have no other recourse here. Read your cruise contract if you doubt that.

You DID purchase travel insurance, right? This is exactly the type of thing that you can get reimbursed for. From your insurance company, not NCL.

If NCL took it upon themselves to keep everyone "out of the hole" so to speak, why have insurance for this? If you can count on the cruise line taking care of you, all you would need is medical and evacuation insurance. That's not the way it works.

I just did a quick search and see cruises with Carnival, RCCL & HAL leaving from either Miami or Ft Lauderdale on the 26th. And looking at them, some seem reasonable priced

Yes, as you say, you would would lose the 25% credit on your next NCL cruise if you can't sail in 18 months (12 months + the 6 you say they'll extend), and it obviously wouldn't be on your first choice for a cruise, or you would have booked it instead of NCL. But you seem upset about the possibility of being shorted on changing air schedule...so I hope you're able to make lemonade out of this disturbing lemon you've been given

good luck

Edesy: I must have misunderstood your initial post. I didn't realize you were trying to make money on the cancellation. I thought you were looking for ways to still vacation using your current airline tickets etc without losing too much money. People are helping with advice regarding rescheduling and you are still looking to get 25% toward another cruise. If you don't have insurance, you better make up your mind and book something.

Edesy: I must have misunderstood your initial post. I didn't realize you were trying to make money on the cancellation. I thought you were looking for ways to still vacation using your current airline tickets etc without losing too much money. People are helping with advice regarding rescheduling and you are still looking to get 25% toward another cruise. If you don't have insurance, you better make up your mind and book something.

I'm not trying to make money on this, the 25% is only $150pp or $300 for me and my wife, and it covers transferring between Ft Lauderdale and Miami for example, and maybe the remaining difference in ticket changes.

I'm not trying to make money on this, the 25% is only $150pp or $300 for me and my wife, and it covers transferring between Ft Lauderdale and Miami for example, and maybe the remaining difference in ticket changes.

I can see how some of you may read this as trying to have my cake and eat it too, and I assure you it's not like that. Like I said, I would normally never consider some of these other cruise lines. If you'd like specifics, fine -- I would normally not go on a ship with pre-determined dinner hours, so my choices are usually Princess or Norwegian. Etc. So it's not like I can just swap one for the other. In addition, many leave Saturday rather than Sunday, so I'd still need to change my flight to arrive earlier, and/or get a transfer between airports.

So although I'm not losing my shirt, in no way am I being made whole, let alone making out on this.. But thank you for your hostility, it made me feel even better today.

I don't think that about you. Please don't feel badly. I hope it all works out for you and your family and that you'll get to take some type of vacation. I understand your disappointment.

To be made whole, insurance would have covered that. I'm guessing it wasn't purchased. Hopefully you'll be able to switch flights with very little added expense. Good Luck to you.

I'm sorry you are frustrated, but you should jump at another line. The prices are now coming up on 'last minute' and there are a few that leave on the 26th out of Ft. Lauderdale or Miami.

One in particular is HAL:

Ship Name: blank.gif

Westerdamblank.gifblank.gifSailing Date(s): October 26, 2008blank.gifPorts of Call: Departs From Ft. Lauderdale, Florida visiting Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (Private Island); Grand Turk Island; George Town, Grand Cayman; Costa Maya, Mexico

I don't know what you paid for the NCL cruise, but maybe this would make up for the 25% off another NCL cruise. I know that you said you don't like to have a 'set' dinner time, but there's no law that says you must go to the dining room.

Again, I understand your frustration and pissed-offedness (ok, I know that's not a word, but it works here), and it's not my cruise that's screwed up, and I'm not in your shoes, but take a deep breath and try, if you can, to keep an open mind. Go on another cruise - you can get a decent deal if you look. Everything happens for a reason - keep your chin up. (At least try to.)

I would normally not go on a ship with pre-determined dinner hours, so my choices are usually Princess or Norwegian. Etc. .

I did see an RCCL sailing on the 26th and I've heard that they are coming out (or have already come out) with a variation of freestyle dining. You might want to check that out as well

We always enjoyed or Royal Caribbean sailings but haven't cruised them with any flexible dining

Thanks for HAL & Carnival suggestions. I found those as well, and I'm considering it as an alternative. I just found out about this yesterday, so I'm working as fast as I can..

If it doesn't work out, I will try to submit my cancellation receipt or just eat the difference in flight.

I will advise everyone how it ends up.

Honestly, I've never heard of a cruise line canceling a cruise and not offering a full refund! As far as airfare booked outside the cruise line, that's what insurance is for. This is very confusing.

I went to the NCL website, and the Pearl's Oct. 26th is still available to be booked. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

It does seem confusing I guess, but what they are giving, which I think is perfectally on line with other cruise lines: Full refund plus 25% off on your next cruise. As for the air, $100 is standard. you are right, insurance is for such things. I will give you an example: if an airline has engine problems and can not get you to your distinative on time, and you are staying at a resort with a non refundable deposit you will lose the deposit. The Airline may put you up for the night if the next flight isn't til morning, even give you food vouchers, but the hotel lose is yours.

I hope this clears it us a little. A few years ago, something similar happened on Celebrity but the cruise wasn't cancelled until people were already in Europe. Celebrity, of course refunded money and did a discount on a future sailing but everyone was on their own to get back to the USA. In that case they didn't even offer the $100. As I said this was maybe 2 or 3 years ago.

NIta

Thanks for HAL & Carnival suggestions. I found those as well, and I'm considering it as an alternative. I just found out about this yesterday, so I'm working as fast as I can..

If it doesn't work out, I will try to submit my cancellation receipt or just eat the difference in flight.

I will advise everyone how it ends up.

HAL has open dining as well. This has to be a big disappointment but the alternative would have been a cruise that could go nowhere, or almost nowhere. I feel for the passengers when this happens and the cruise lines. Either they continue with the sailing plans and have upset passengers who say they should have cancelled the sailing or they cancel and have passengers that are completely unhappy. It is a no win situation for everyone.

Nita

Archived