Doc Dance, 11/26 Volendam, no Mariner tags

marybeach

Got our docs today, and the agency sent along a book called "Caribbean by Cruise Ship". It is the same one I borrowed from the library to check out the itineraries before we booked, and it does have good information. They also sent canvas bags, which was a very nice gesture.

However, there were no Mariner luggage tags or the usual buttons. We are both Mariners. I've called the agent and left a message. Do we need them to expedite boarding or are they just nice to have? I still have an old button, but no luggage tags.

Advice?

You don't need Mariner tags, as there are so many Mariners that they mean nothing. The buttons I think are a piece of junk and throw them away as soon as we get our doc.

However, you do need the luggage tags. Phone your TA and ask her where they are. Either she removed them or HAL forgot to include them. If worse comes to worse, the fellas taking the luggage at the pier will have some, but that is such a pain to have to stand there and fill them out.

Good luck.

By the way, did you docs come in a dark blue faux leather folder? If not, then the Agency must have it kept it. Get after them if you didn't receive it.

I totally agree with Esme that the Mariner Pins and tags are no big deal. Come to think of it when we got our Docs about a month ago we got the Mariner Pins but the Mariner Tags that you put on your luggage were not in the "Pleather" Blue HAL folder. We just had the regular luggage tags that you fill out with name and cabin number etc. I honestly do not think the Mariner Tags for the luggage do any thing. Plus the pins just get caught on things, I ended up putting my last one on my fanny pack.

Congratulations on getting to do the DOC DANCE!!!!!

Enjoy your Dance.

Not sure that the Mariner tags do a whole lot either, but a couple of cruises ago HAL did not send them with the Documents so my wife called HAL and they sent some out to us. I have noticed that we tend to get our bags faster than other cabins near us when the Mariner tags are on, but that could be luck of the draw as well. We got our bags a lot sooner on the Ryndam than the couple who were traveling with us in the stateroom located across the hall and were on their first cruise (no Mariner tags.) Again, not sure if it was luck or the tags. Can't hurt to put them on.

I've found the luggage service is quite good either way - all pieces delivered within 2 hours of boarding in FLL (no mariner tags) and within an hour in Seattle (w/ mariner tags)

Personally, I wouldn't sweat it

On our last cruise out of FLL, a HAL Rep told us that they no longer have seperate check-in lines for Mariners, since 80% of HAL'S passengers are repeat passengers (Mariners)....They are not mailing the Mariner tags any more, unless someone specifically requests them...On our South America cruise last year, the Mariners Party was jam packed, & now understand they are holding it in the afternoon on some ships..Agree, the tags are no longer effective or needed..

Marybeach- Same thing here-same cruise. I booked with an online agency and received our docs about two weeks ago. We did receive the blue folder along with all of the normal stuff, minus the mariner tags and buttons. I noticed too. Does not sound like any big deal though. I was actually really impressed to get "real" docs at all, since I had never booked online before. Anyway, finally our turn to post on the 30 day thread- yippy- have not looked, you may have posted already. This is our first time springing for an actual "S" cat, so I am especially excited about that. However, I can see that raising the bar could easily become a problem, as I surely won't be able to do this every cruise. Sorry for rambling, have not seen many posts about this particular sailing. Have a blast!!!!

It's good to see that we will have some company on the cruise. We are looking forward to our getaway. Since several of the islands are not too developed, this will be relaxing, I think. At least my SO won't be dragged from shop to shop on each island. Fortunately, he is good natured about it!! The TA is checking on the tags and HAL said that our Mariner numbers had not been input with the booking, so they added them. We did an outside guarantee for the first time and it will be interesting to see where they put us. I do think our Mariner numbers could make a difference there, so I'll keep checking the immigration form to see what cabin we are assigned in the next few weeks. We're also waitlisted for early dinner, so we'll be surprised by that assignment, too. Oh, what an adventure!!! :)

Archived