Food on Holland vs Princess

lolo73

Hi, sounds of if we may be disappointed with Holland then as it sounds as if the passangers are very old. We are looking on taking the 20 day europe cruise on holland but perhaps we should play it safe and stick with princess, only issue princess is 12 nights long and not sure if this is enough time seeing as we are coming from afar. I thank you for your response.

Are you looking at Noordam? The demographics are much younger. We are in our forties. We have done this cruise (2007 and 2008). Lots of Europeans of course and most everyone is in great shape. The Med is very port intensive and you need lots of energy.

I don't think the criticism is aimed at the people who take a Holland cruise but rather the offerings. They seem to be aimed towards an inactive, quiet crowd. Personally, Holland made us feel very old; it seemed laughter was not the order of the day. Yes, you are there for the scenery & ports but on our cruise we had 4 sea days - I can read at home.

I don't think the criticism is aimed at the people who take a Holland cruise but rather the offerings. They seem to be aimed towards an inactive, quiet crowd. Personally, Holland made us feel very old; it seemed laughter was not the order of the day. Yes, you are there for the scenery & ports but on our cruise we had 4 sea days - I can read at home.

I am very active but I do like it quiet. I can easily entertain myself. If you need to be entertained every minute then HAL probably isn't the line for you. I am 47 years old so please don't assume everyone is old and inactive:mad: . FYI...I'm not musch of a reader either.

Of course, everyone can read/play board games or cards/watch movies or play trivia at home.....(this is in defense of all cruiselines)....that being said; doing all of the above onboard a floating hotel is GLORIOUS!!!!!!!

I just think that HAL is a "quiet/understated/lovely", "floating hotel", environment for those who choose that sort of cruising....and, it doesn't matter what your age, it can be perfect for you!!!

It's wonderful to have so many choices of cruiselines to match what "you" want!

This is obviously a big concern for you as you've had 2 previous threads on this topic (with many answers). I don't know what else anyone can say to give you a better answer. Only you can come up with a decision YOU are happy.

From August 28th, 2008, 10:14 PM age demographics?

On September 1st, 2008, 12:11 PM ages on Holland

LOL - Good catch!

Don't worry - they have hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza AND a taco bar maybe even burritos. Food was good.

The one thing I will give a very hearty nod to Princess on, though, is their pizza. Holland America can't hold a candle to it.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I am very active but I do like it quiet. I can easily entertain myself. If you need to be entertained every minute then HAL probably isn't the line for you. I am 47 years old so please don't assume everyone is old and inactive:mad: . FYI...I'm not musch of a reader either.
I'm 52 (so hardly yet a "senior") and HAL is perfect for me. I like to be laid back during a cruise. Hey, I work my butt off at home. When I sail, I want to do what pleases me.

Now let's see ... on a sea day ... get up around 8:00 or 9:00 and perhaps attend onboard services. Then maybe a lecture if the subject interests me. Then we'll spend some time in the Explorations Cafe, followed by afternoon tea ... followed finally by "afternoon nap." Then it's dinnertime!

What day could be more perfect? :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Now let's see ... on a sea day ... get up around 8:00 or 9:00 and perhaps attend onboard services. Then maybe a lecture if the subject interests me. Then we'll spend some time in the Explorations Cafe, followed by afternoon tea ... followed finally by "afternoon nap." Then it's dinnertime!

Blue skies ...

--rita

AND... you've now got a terrific UPGRADE to help you enjoy your 35 days of heaven!

I'm 52 (so hardly yet a "senior") and HAL is perfect for me. I like to be laid back during a cruise. Hey, I work my butt off at home. When I sail, I want to do what pleases me.

Blue skies ...

--rita

You forgot; "sitting and watching the sea go by!!!!!!!" And, I can relate to that "working your butt off thing!" :p

Of course, everyone can read/play board games or cards/watch movies or play trivia at home.....(this is in defense of all cruiselines)....that being said; doing all of the above onboard a floating hotel is GLORIOUS!!!!!!!

I just think that HAL is a "quiet/understated/lovely", "floating hotel", environment for those who choose that sort of cruising....and, it doesn't matter what your age, it can be perfect for you!!!

It's wonderful to have so many choices of cruiselines to match what "you" want!

You got it in a nutshell...

any insight out there comparing the 2 lines on food they serve and perhaps the level of services?? and what the heck the age demographics. The more I reasearch Holland the more a hear..... caters to seniors is this true?????

Holland has better Europe itineraires so we are torn.

please help

We have split our cruising experiences across many cruise lines (see signature below)

Age of passengers depends on what time of the year you are traveling Not necessarily the cruise line. If you are traveling to Alaska, Europe, Caribbean when there is no school, yes, there are loads of children, parents, and grandparents on the cruise. When school is "in session", there are fewer children, fewer "young adults", and fewer parents of school age children.

Food, I find the food on both Princess and HAL to be similiar, BUT, the coffee on Princess is SWILL (undrinkable). Princess serves you a delicious meal (yes the bread is outstanding), excellent service, and then dessert is topped off with diluted syrup they call coffee. They coffee syrup is served on the Lido deck as well.

If you want "brewed" coffee on Princess, you must go to the java bar and pay for it. Many folks who cruise on Princess bring their own personal coffee makers. Yes, it is really that bad.

I think that they both have good food, given that it is essentially banquet food. Based on only one HAL cruise and several Princess I would agree that the quality of food is slightly better on Princess (with the exception of beef dishes in which case BOTH lines are cheaping out on the quality). I would give the edge to HAL on presentation and on the buffet arrangement. Too close to call for us...it is a toss up. One thing about Princess...for our taste they have absolutely terrible coffee. HAL tastes better to us.

I am 45, my wife and i cruised 3 times on princess and are trying HAL this time. from i have heard and observed, the crowd gets older on the longer cruises not so much the cruise line. our first HAL cruise is feb 2010 14 day Au and NZ. suggesteions are appriecated.

My husband and I took our daughters and their friend (22,23 & 25) on the Oosterdam / Mexican Riviera and they LOVED it! They made friends with the staff and had a lot of fun. Compare that to the RCCL - Mariner that we all went on and they didn't like it very much. I think it's all in how one want's to perceive it. We enjoy HAL over RCCL and Carnival and don't consider the passengers "old". Everyone is so much nicer on HAL ships. I don't know why but you can feel it and we've missed it. Getting back on board the Zaandam 10/8/08!! Can't wait!

I've cruised with Princess a few times and just returned from an Alaskan cruise with Holland. I went to both buffet and dining room on all cruises, and was very impressed with HAL. The food tasted great, service was good, and staff was very friendly and helpful. Except for bread, fruits, salad, desserts, and drinks, at the buffet, specialty salad and entree were made to order and brought to our table. I didn't experience such service on any of the Princess cruises, and sometimes, I even had communication problem with the crew because they came from Eastern European. They have great selection of items to chose from whether you are meat lover or vegetarian or prefer Chinese chop suey or pasta.

In terms of demographics, I did observe the average age of the cruisers on HAL was at least 55 & above. On Princess, I saw quite a bit of young families, and people of all ages. I'm in my early 40's, and I don't mind meeting and sharing table with people who are much than I am, learned a lot from their experiences, the demographics thing is not something I personally care about.

My question. With you having done the Antartica cruise with Princess, were you able to see quite the penguins on those islands and other wildlife during the scenic cruising?

My question. With you having done the Antartica cruise with Princess, were you able to see quite the penguins on those islands and other wildlife during the scenic cruising?

Dodge,

We were on the Star Princess on Jan 10, 2008 (r/t Buenos Aires). We visited the Falkland Islands, Usushia, Punta Arenas, and Montevideo. We cruised thru the Antartic for 5 days then cruised Cape Horn.

The cruise thru the Antartic was spectacular. There was a naturalist on board who gave us loads of information as we were cruising thru the "islands" and glaciers. The captain (with his power binoculars) would tell us of upcoming penguins on icebergs (or land or in the water), whales, and unique birds.

I will say that being up on deck during the cruising was valuable. Because of the furry hats we were wearing, it was difficult to understand the naturalist over the PA system. We had booked a balcony room and found it warmer and easier to turn on the TV to listen and run up on deck when something interesting was on the "other" side of the ship. I really recommend a balcony cabin for this voyage.

We had friends who wanted to "set foot" on the Antartic and spent $10,000 more per person on a crappy "old" ship to be able to take the zodiacs to land.

Believe me, you will see (up and close) a zillion (I mean a zillion) penguin colonies on the Falkland Islands, Usushia, and Punta Arenas....all different varieties of penguins.

We chose this particular cruise because it was r/t Buenos Aires and airline connections were easier than separate embarkation and debarkation ports.

We NEVER buy the DVD of the cruise, but the photographers on the cruise and the nature they caught on the DVD was incredible. You can even view the DVD without looking at the passenger pictures and just see the wildlife. I highly recommend purchasing the DVD if you want up close pictures of the widelife.

Whatever ship you choose, I am sure that your trip thru the Antartic will be a once in a lifetime experience.:)

Archived