Mail....?

terri910

I checked out the FAQ on Carnival's website and didn't find anything on this. Maybe I missed it, but I'm sure people here will know!

We'll be leaving in 19 days for our Vancouver/Hawaii cruise, and will be away from home for two weeks. There will be a couple of important bills that will need to be paid while we're gone. Although I probably could pay them before we leave, I'd rather not if I have an alternative.

I seem to remember something about being able to mail from the ship. When the ship reaches Hawaii my postage should be fine (as opposed to trying to mail things when we are in Vancouver). I'm hoping there is someplace on the ship to deposit outgoing mail; it will save me having to search for a mailbox while on shore in ports.

Is my memory failing me, or is there a place where outgoing mail will be taken care of?

If you are mailing anything more critical than a postcard, mail it yourself from shore. While I don't doubt the ship does its best to deliver mail to the post office, It has been our experience that items left with the ship for posting have an unacceptable failure rate.

Seems to me, if you are in Hawaii, you can put your mail in any USPS post box whilst on a shore excursion.

Mail posted on the ship is only going to wait until you reach the next POC anyway.

Yes, I know I will be ABLE to put our mail in any postal box. I am hoping to AVOID using time in port searching out a mailbox. I'm sorry I didn't make that clear in my post.

But the last sentence in your post seems to indicate that there is a place on the ship to post mail....and thus I will be able to take the stamped envelopes with us and have them posted when we reach Hawaii, which coincides perfectly with when they should normally be mailed (allowing an extra couple of days to get from Hawaii to the mainland).

If you are mailing anything more critical than a postcard, mail it yourself from shore. While I don't doubt the ship does its best to deliver mail to the post office, I has been our experience that items left with the ship for posting have an unacceptable failure rate.

Yikes.

Okay, now this is the type of info I was looking for. If I MUST find a mailbox on shore, I will...I was just hoping not to have to spend time doing that, when I could be snorkeling instead! :)

Hi- what you can also do is sign up for free online onetime payment directly from your bank, thus avoiding going to the mailbox. Making payments online you choose the date when you want it paid.. Call your bank to get more info. Hope that helps

I would post it before leaving.... one thing less to think about!!!!:)

The mortgage payment depletes the 'ol checking account pretty good. It's a bit nicer to wait until that week's paychecks have been deposited (we have direct deposit)...but I may wind up mailing them before we leave anyway.

Hi- what you can also do is sign up for free online onetime payment directly from your bank, thus avoiding going to the mailbox. Making payments online you choose the date when you want it paid.. Call your bank to get more info. Hope that helps

Hmmm.....I hadn't thought of that. That's a great idea!

Thanks!

Do you have a neighbor, friend, or family member that could mail the envelopes on the day you prefer? I know I mailed myself a postcard from the ship, and it arrived about a month after we returned home :eek: .

We pay the majority of our bills, using our banks secured web-site; no stamps, no hassle, and can send payments anywhere we have an internet connection.

we have mailed things from the ship before, and they have taken WEEKS to arrive. If you're going to be mailing something time-sensitive like a bill, I think you would be much better off dropping it off yourself while in port.

Another alternative might be paying over the Internet -- either on the ship or while i port.

Oh, and I see you are considering direct debit as well (well that is what we call it in Canada, lol, might be called something different in the US)

This is a much superior method and saves on the cost of postage, the paper, envelope and supplies required in the bill. Better for the environment too:-)

Yes, I know I will be ABLE to put our mail in any postal box. I am hoping to AVOID using time in port searching out a mailbox. I'm sorry I didn't make that clear in my post.

But the last sentence in your post seems to indicate that there is a place on the ship to post mail....and thus I will be able to take the stamped envelopes with us and have them posted when we reach Hawaii, which coincides perfectly with when they should normally be mailed (allowing an extra couple of days to get from Hawaii to the mainland).

I sent some postcards from the ship on a 4 night cruise to Key West and Cozumel. The postcards were dropped in the ship's mailbox before we got to Key West so I assumed that my relatives would get these postcards quickly since they were being dropped off at a US port. Well, the postcards didn't make it for a month and a half. To this day I have NO clue why they were so delayed (unless these postcards remained in the ship's mailbox for weeks, or they were re-stamped and mailed from Mexico). In any case, I learned that time-sensitive mail should NOT be sent from the ship.

Have you though about paying these bills online? I use a service that will pay bills directly from my bank account or even send a paper check to anybody anywhere in the US with a couple of clicks from any computer. You could easily do this from the ship

What about mailing it before you leave but mail post dated cheques? Then it will only be cashed when you are ready for it to be cashed but you know 100% that it was mailed on time.

I personally would not recommend doing this. From what I understand, in the US it's illegal to post date checks and that date really doesn't mean anything. It's more for your own bookkeeping purposes than anything else. The recipient is not obligated to only deposit on or after the date. the mortgage company will still deposit the check on the date they receive it, not leave it sitting around the office until the date on the check.

I would go with an option where you have more control, like mailing it yourself on the date necessary or paying online.

I personally would not recommend doing this. From what I understand, in the US it's illegal to post date checks and that date really doesn't mean anything. It's more for your own bookkeeping purposes than anything else. The recipient is not obligated to only deposit on or after the date. the mortgage company will still deposit the check on the date they receive it, not leave it sitting around the office until the date on the check.

I would go with an option where you have more control, like mailing it yourself on the date necessary or paying online.

Really!?!?! I'm Canadian so here a cheque is not valid until the date the person puts on it. It is illegal to deposit a cheque before the date the sender inscribeson it in Canada.

In this case, why not do on-line banking and pay while on the ship or in port? Just make sure you are signed up and understand how it works before you leave :)

I agree with not post-dating a cheque. I know from experience a number of years ago when I handed over a cheque for rent on my apt at the time that the property management company still deposited it on the day received. If they do this, it is not their bank's responsibility to 'hold' the cheque until the date on the cheque. I was basically told that they don't even look at the date on the cheque. I had always thought they couldn't touch the funds until the date on the cheque so that definitely changed the way I bank now. The only time I use a cheque is the odd time I'm sponsoring someone for charity or buying something kids are selling through school.

Personally, I didn't even know that you could mail in a mortgage payment unless it was extra on top of your normal payment. The two mortgages I've had and any of the ones my friends have are directly debited from their bank account just like a car loan. Maybe it's a US thing. :confused:

Direct debit and online banking are the way to go IMO.

Thank you, everyone for the warnings about posting mail on the ship!!!! the last thing I need is for the mortgage payment to take 6 weeks to deliver!

I will be contacting our bank today to find out more about paying the bills online. Really, the only one I am very concerned about is the mortgage. Others are all small enough that I don't mind paying before we leave. I'll also call the mortgage company and see what's involved in being able to make the payment online.

Personally' date=' I didn't even know that you could mail in a mortgage payment unless it was extra on top of your normal payment. The two mortgages I've had and any of the ones my friends have are directly debited from their bank account just like a car loan. Maybe it's a US thing. :confused:

[/quote']

You mean you didn't even have a CHOICE?

Maybe it is a US thing....we do sort of have a thing about being given choices! *L*

Yep...Checks are deposited by the bank, post dated or not. It's so easy to go to your mortgage company's website (hopefully they have one) and all of the info should be right there.

Also, most sites will allow you to pick a date for a recurring debit. I LOVE paying bills this way!

Otherwise, like another poster mentioned, leave the completed envelopes with a friend, family or neighbor to mail on the specific dates.

Enjoy your cruise:)

I checked out the FAQ on Carnival's website and didn't find anything on this. Maybe I missed it, but I'm sure people here will know!

We'll be leaving in 19 days for our Vancouver/Hawaii cruise, and will be away from home for two weeks. There will be a couple of important bills that will need to be paid while we're gone. Although I probably could pay them before we leave, I'd rather not if I have an alternative.

I seem to remember something about being able to mail from the ship. When the ship reaches Hawaii my postage should be fine (as opposed to trying to mail things when we are in Vancouver). I'm hoping there is someplace on the ship to deposit outgoing mail; it will save me having to search for a mailbox while on shore in ports.

Is my memory failing me, or is there a place where outgoing mail will be taken care of?

I will ask someone like a relative or friend to mailed them for me, I will be scared if they get lost, lol

Thats just me:)

I personally would not recommend doing this. From what I understand, in the US it's illegal to post date checks and that date really doesn't mean anything.

That is the impression I have always been under...postdating checks is illegal and they will deposit it regardless. Plus, with the system they have now you can't give a check a couple of days, like you used to, it is immediately deducted from your account once it goes through.

Archived