Slight Changes to Supper Club menus - just off Glory today.

Tom-n-Cheryl

Just got off the Glory this morning. We dined in the Emerald Room supper club on 3 evenings.

Perhaps this has been pointed out in the past, but I could not "easily" find it with the search feature on here...

They have added two new options for starters:

> Pumpkin and Feta Cheese Parfait

> Escargot Bourguignonne (replacing the other escargot option) and even better than the main dining room escargot. This now goes into my rotation of favorite starters (w/ Beef Carpaccio)

Both of the above were very good - I enjoyed the Escargot TWICE :)

I wish I had taken my camera to the supper club - that can now be someone else's mission!!!

Another addition was a vegetarian option as an entree - unfortunately, I can't give any more details than that, as I EAT MEAT :D

On a side note - I tried the onion soup a THIRD time this sailing, as I kept reading where many said it was GREAT. Well, I guess I just don't care for their version, even though Cheryl and a friend at our table both loved it.

I'll jump on the scales Monday morning and check out the damage :eek:

Tom

Thanks for the info. I hope this(escargots) is changed on the Libertys supper club menu when I go in November. I did not like the old escargot dish they had at the supper club, found it very bland.

Thanks for the info. I hope this(escargots) is changed on the Libertys supper club menu when I go in November. I did not like the old escargot dish they had at the supper club, found it very bland.

I would guess that it is fleet wide at this point. I also did not care for the "old" escargot option in the supper club. The new one was EXCELLENT!

I also noticed that some of the dishes are coming to the table somewhat different. For example, the surf and turf no long comes with the pumpkin ravioli... and a few other minor changes with the other selections.

Tom

Both the parfait and the escargot dishes sound good to me! We will be enjoying the Supper Club on the Miracle at least one night on our Oct. cruise. I hope they have these new items.

As for the onion soup, I think this is one item that is not as good in the Supper Club as it is in the dining room. Or at least that was my impression of it. I really enjoy it in the dining room. :)

Thanks for the info!

Just got off the Glory this morning. We dined in the Emerald Room supper club on 3 evenings.

Tom

What time do they start serving in the supper club? We are sailing on the 13th (next SATURDAY!) I am diabetic & cannot eat late. Also, I have read where there is music & one can dance. Do the people dance between courses, before being served or after, or ? ?. We just can't visualize all of these luxuries.

Just an old couple trying to be young again. :)

Perhaps this has been pointed out in the past, but I could not "easily" find it with the search feature on here...

> Escargot Bourguignonne (replacing the other escargot option) and even better than the main dining room escargot. This now goes into my rotation of favorite starters (w/ Beef Carpaccio)

I wish I had taken my camera to the supper club - that can now be someone else's mission!!!

Another addition was a vegetarian option as an entree - unfortunately, I can't give any more details than that, as I EAT MEAT :D

On a side note - I tried the onion soup a THIRD time this sailing, as I kept reading where many said it was GREAT. Well, I guess I just don't care for their version, even though Cheryl and a friend at our table both loved it.

Tom

Thanks for sharing the changes with us. I can't picture feta cheese and pumpkin together. Was it a starter and did anyone in your group have it? I'm on the fence with the french onion soup too. It's definatly different than anything I've had in the past but yet it's good at the same time. The first time I had it I wasn't going to order it again.....til the next time we ate in the supper club lol

After I'd seen Tom's comment on an earlier post about the new starters, I had to do a Google search, as I'd never heard of one of those terms (the ol' CruiseCritic learning experience, I guess):p

Here's the pictorial link I found concerning the escargot dish. I'm not sure if this is the exact way it would be created or served in the CCL supper clubs, but I do know that this looks deeeelish.:) On Tom's suggestion I'm going to give it a whirl next week myself.

http://www.finestchef.com/Escargot.htm

I also noticed that some of the dishes are coming to the table somewhat different. For example, the surf and turf no long comes with the pumpkin ravioli... and a few other minor changes with the other selections.

Tom

Do you remember what was served with the surf and turf? Thanks.

What time do they start serving in the supper club? We are sailing on the 13th (next SATURDAY!) I am diabetic & cannot eat late. Also, I have read where there is music & one can dance. Do the people dance between courses, before being served or after, or ? ?. We just can't visualize all of these luxuries.

Their first reservations are at 6:00. IF, and I stress IF, you are lucky enough to dine there on an evening when they have live music (piano player) - he does not play until 7 p.m.. When we first went up to pick our table (one of the first things we took care of once aboard) the hostess (Anna) told us that they no longer had live music. The piano player was playing on 2 of the 3 evenings we dined there. Nobody was dancing. The set up on the Spirit class ships is much more condusive to dancing, as there is more space, and they usually have a duo (singer and guitarist or singer and pianist).

Thanks for sharing the changes with us. I can't picture feta cheese and pumpkin together. Was it a starter and did anyone in your group have it? I'm on the fence with the french onion soup too. It's definatly different than anything I've had in the past but yet it's good at the same time. The first time I had it I wasn't going to order it again.....til the next time we ate in the supper club lol

I tried it, not having a CLUE if I would like it. I definitely enjoyed it. I would order it again, though it's tough to choose as I REALLY enjoy the Beef Carpaccio (and now the escargot). The presentation of the escargot was nice: 5 (as I recall) all lined up in miniature (snail size!) pastries and PREFECTLY seasoned. One additionl escargot in a bowl over which they pour some type of escargot/potato soup. YUMMY!!!

I skipped my favorite salad (Spinach salad) all 3 nights so that I could eat two different starters.

Do you remember what was served with the surf and turf? Thanks.

A small portion of peas, and not much else. It used to come with 3 or 4 mini-sides.... no more :( (I am recalling this from memory - and it was not something I ordered).

Tom

Their first reservations are at 6:00. IF, and I stress IF, you are lucky enough to dine there on an evening when they have live music (piano player) - he does not play until 7 p.m.. When we first went up to pick our table (one of the first things we took care of once aboard) the hostess (Anna) told us that they no longer had live music. The piano player was playing on 2 of the 3 evenings we dined there. Nobody was dancing. The set up on the Spirit class ships is much more condusive to dancing, as there is more space, and they usually have a duo (singer and guitarist or singer and pianist).

Tom

While my dh loves the food, I love the atmosphere. I would really miss the live music in the supper club. It really adds such a nice touch to the evening.

Onion soup. I don't eat cheese. In the reg dining room my request for no cheese was turned down. The supper club (so far) has allowed the request so I guess it will have to be as good as it gets.

thanks much for the update. I love being in the know.

I tried it, not having a CLUE if I would like it. I definitely enjoyed it. I would order it again, though it's tough to choose as I REALLY enjoy the Beef Carpaccio (and now the escargot). The presentation of the escargot was nice: 5 (as I recall) all lined up in miniature (snail size!) pastries and PREFECTLY seasoned. One additionl escargot in a bowl over which they pour some type of escargot/potato soup. YUMMY!!!

I skipped my favorite salad (Spinach salad) all 3 nights so that I could eat two different starters.

A small portion of peas, and not much else. It used to come with 3 or 4 mini-sides.... no more :( (I am recalling this from memory - and it was not something I ordered).

Tom

Can't wait for a review! (Hint, Hint:rolleyes: )

:p DJ

Sorry - I rarely do a formal review any longer, I just post bits and pieces in different threads in response to questions or if something comes to mind that might be useful... :)

What I might add here - that I mentioned elsewhere, is that someone in the supper club showed some bad judgment when it came to their pre-recorded music. USUALLY it has been very appropriate for the evening in other supper club visits. This happened on two of our three evenings. I asked them to change the music, telling them it was inappropriate. The music was promptly cahnged. Once it was a Blind Melon song that caught my ear - the other evening was something more like Pink. It sounded more like their AFTER CLOSING "clean up" tracks. :rolleyes: Don't get me wrong, I like most of what was playing - it's just the WRONG PLACE/TIME...

I got the feeling that many in the supper club were rather new, as a certain degree of expertise seemed to be lacking compared to some of our other 20+ visits to supper clubs.

Tom

After I'd seen Tom's comment on an earlier post about the new starters, I had to do a Google search, as I'd never heard of one of those terms (the ol' CruiseCritic learning experience, I guess):p

Here's the pictorial link I found concerning the escargot dish. I'm not sure if this is the exact way it would be created or served in the CCL supper clubs, but I do know that this looks deeeelish.:) On Tom's suggestion I'm going to give it a whirl next week myself.

http://www.finestchef.com/Escargot.htm

By the way Don - their new Escargot presentation looks even better than that photo.

ENJOY it on your cruise which begins TOMORROW - we are LAND LOCKED for TWO MONTHS!! :eek: :D

Tom

We were on the Spirit in April and let me tell you the Supper Club dinner for my 50th birthday could not have been more luxurious! There were four of us, two in their 70's and on at 81 and diabetic. We booked for 6:00 and I am not sure how early they start. Call as soon as you get settled and make a reservation. The Supper Club is like going to one of the best restaurants here in San Francisco! It is on two levels. We were upper with the music and dance floor on the lower. The music at dinner was perfect. Not too loud to have conversation. Couples were free to dance between course or after dinner. The wine steward and servers were so professional and friendly. The food was fantastic. They make any minor alteration you need for your diet so please just let them know. Mom and I are allergic to shellfish so our first course was adjusted. If you don't want sugar for dessert the offer a great cheese course!

All in all it was a 5 star evening and I will never forget my 50th birthday!

Please go to the Supper Club and have a wonderful evening!

Alan

By the way Don - their new Escargot presentation looks even better than that photo.

ENJOY it on your cruise . . .

Tom, I had this starter just last night . . . .

Deeeeeeeeeeeelicious !!!!!! :D

Got the filet on Monday, and it was perfectly cooked throughout. Lobster on Wednesday, and the lamb last night. All superb.

Got to know the vocal duo during the week, and she sang two requests for me. On Monday when they took their break, they kicked up some CD that made me laugh and think about you two. Monica, the SC hostess had to stop it once because it was no longer creating an atmosphere. . . it WAS the atmosphere. What's up with that all of the sudden?? :confused:

Thanks, again, for the escargot suggestion, as I'd have not tried it otherwise.

Tom

The escargot sounds yummy!

I really enjoyed the taste of the Supper Club onion soup, but it was too, too rich! After a couple of spoonfuls, I knew I couldn't have any more of it. If I tried to eat more, I wouldn't have been able to eat the rest of my dinner. The dining room onion soup is not as rich, and much easier to eat with dinner.

Tom we changed our Spring Break cruise from the Fascination to the Glory. Do you remember what night(s) are the "formal" ( I know the name has changed) ?

I want to do an online reservation for the Supper Club.

Are you sailing eastern or western?

On the eastern route the first "formal" night was Sunday night, the second "formal" night was Thursday.

I make a point to be in the dining room for the first formal night, as I never want to miss Prime Rib. We will typically be in the supper club for the second formal night (as well as a couple of other evenings).

Tom

Could you clarify about the live music? Why did the hostess tell you they "no longer" had it, when they actually did have it, just not every night? And can you explain what you mean by "inappropriate" music? Was some of it not suitable for ballroom dancing (e.g., Madonna, Prince, etc.)?

I hope this doesn't become a new thing fleet-wide. Lack of live music would be almost a deal-killer for me.

:(

Could you clarify about the live music? Why did the hostess tell you they "no longer" had it, when they actually did have it, just not every night? And can you explain what you mean by "inappropriate" music? Was some of it not suitable for ballroom dancing (e.g., Madonna, Prince, etc.)?

I hope this doesn't become a new thing fleet-wide. Lack of live music would be almost a deal-killer for me.

:(

I know that it was the first (or second) sailing for Anna as hostess, though she had been onboard for weeks prior. So I have NO IDEA why she would have told us that there would not be any live music - unless there hadn't been prior to our sailing!!

Regarding the music, as I said before it was something like Blind Melon and Pink that caught my ear. Usually, when they play recorded music in supper clubs (Carnival), it is an instrumental piece or something along the lines of Norah Jones. Basically more appropriate for the "refined" dining experience.

Tom

Archived