Canadian Money - do I need to take some?

Can anyone tell me if the take American money in Canada. We will be in Quebec City, and Prince Edward Island and need to decide on exchanging some currancy before we leave. Any advice???

Barbara

This depends on where you spend money. If you are using credit cards, then no, you won't need any, but if you plan to shop locally or use any government services like buses, then yes, you likely will.

I would not get anything before you leave...just stop by the first Canadian ATM that you find and it will give you local currency.

Hi Barb... smaller guys would like Ca$ as it cost them to exchange but those directly involved in the tourist stuff will likley take your money :)..

as above poster says you will need CA for some things regardless, but credit cards are easiest.

Some one on the cruise we just got off commented they has seen the Zenith recently and they still haven't been able to cover up the X completely on the stack :)

Bob

You can spend your US dollars anywhere in New Brunswick, PEI or Nova Scotia with no problem. You will get a better rate of exchange at a bank but most places will give you a fair rate. You will get your change back in Canadian money.

Bob,

So good to hear from you. I think the Zenith will always have a place in our heart. The size was so nice, because it was more like a large family. The larger ships carry too many people to really get to make many new friends. Hope to cruise with you again in the future.

Barbara

Just keep in mind that if you spend cash you will get your change back in CDN$....that means you are likely to wind up back in Florida with a pocket full "junk metal". Our 1$ and 2$ denominations are coins....1$ = Looney....2$ = Tooney!

They make nice keep-sakes I guess...or if you have kids or Grandkids they make great 'show and tell' pieces for school.

Just something to remember.

Hope you have a wonderful time...Maritime Canada is...next to the west coast....the most beautiful part of Canada!!!!LOL!!!!

I'm sure that there will someone on the dock for your last day who will provide a painless way to turn your CDN$ into stuff to carry home. Last time I was in Canada I was driving and the duty free shop at the land entry on the interstate to Albany had cash registers that worked in both US & CDn $'s. My extra money became t-shirts:)

Some US banks will accept your Canadian money and credit your account in US dollars. If you're careful, though, you'll be able to spend most of the "change" before you leave Canada. We've travelled quite a bit in Canada and really never had a problem using US dollars in almost all instances.

Just so I've got this straight...I can use US $$ for the cab fare and tip from the airport to the hotel (Le Meridien Versailles), for the porters at the hotel, for the cab fare and tip from the hotel to the dock, and for the tip for the porters at the dock???

Well, look at it this way - - - Let's say you ran a small store in a U.S. city and someone came in and asked you to accept some foreign currency. Would you? It's going to require you to go to your bank and have those bills converted into U.S. dollars before you can make up your deposit.

Now, Canadians are a very accommodating bunch (I was born there) and usually try to be as helpful as they can. But we Americans seem to take the attitude that our currency is better than any - and expect vendors and service people all over the world to take our dollar bills and be grateful.

It takes just a small bit of time to buy some Canadian dollars at a bank or foreign currency counter at the airport. It doesn't hurt a bit! :)

Well, look at it this way - - - Let's say you ran a small store in a U.S. city and someone came in and asked you to accept some foreign currency. Would you? It's going to require you to go to your bank and have those bills converted into U.S. dollars before you can make up your deposit.

Now, Canadians are a very accommodating bunch (I was born there) and usually try to be as helpful as they can. But we Americans seem to take the attitude that our currency is better than any - and expect vendors and service people all over the world to take our dollar bills and be grateful.

It takes just a small bit of time to buy some Canadian dollars at a bank or foreign currency counter at the airport. It doesn't hurt a bit! :)

Or go to an ATM machine -- in the Canadian port -- when you get off the ship and take out some of your money. You'll get it in Canadian dollars, which then you can use for whatever purposes you need.

We're going to 4 Canadian ports on our Explorer of the Seas cruise next month. Three of our excursions are booked privately, and I intend to pay the guides in Canadian dollars. It isn't difficult to go to an ATM and get some currency in the country you are visiting.

We're going to 4 Canadian ports on our Explorer of the Seas cruise next month. Three of our excursions are booked privately, and I intend to pay the guides in Canadian dollars. It isn't difficult to go to an ATM and get some currency in the country you are visiting.

No question this is the correct way to do things as you do not get caught in usurious exchange or transaction fees.

Are there ATM's at the airport? I'll be joining the ship in Montreal, not disembarking there. That might be the easiest way to do this. Any guesses how much the cab fare from Le Meridien Versailles to the port might be? Once I'm on the ship I won't need any more Canadian $$$. Won't be buying anything, no tours, may not even get off the ship!

Archived