Travel Consent Form

md40901

We will be traveling in about a week and a half with my 12 year old step-son and I'm tring to find a travel consent form to have his mother fill out. Just so that when we take him out of the country we have no problems. I got one online 2 years ago but cant seem to find any free ones online. Any help would be wonderful.

Thank you

I am sure you already know this, but in case you don't here are a couple of helpful documents for traveling with a child.

Parental consent form

copy of child custody agreement

official (raised seal) birth certificate or Passport

vaccinations / insurance card/ allergy

travel insurance

The parental consent form you can usually download from the cruise site.

Custody agreement, some countries have been known to ask for it, if you don't have it you should be ok with the consent form, but its still good to have.

vaccines/insurance/allergy card so if he should get hurt the docs would have this info.

travel insurance, kids can get hurt and the ship medical staff are more apt to send them into port. most regular insurance doesn't cover out of country or med evac from a ship.

bc or passport, standard on any cruise. passport is better if needed for traveling back to your home country.

not trying to worry you, but international law has gotten stricter in the last couple of years in regards to children.(good thing). Have a great trip, he is the perfect age for cruising.

I contacted our local U.S. Consulate and asked about consent forms. They told me that if my children have U.S. passports, than that was when my husband consented to let them travel without him. To get a child's passport, both parents have to now sign, whatever the nationality (and amusingly, they don't have to even speak English, which is the case with my dh).

We're together and my dh doesn't have any objections to our travel (he usually joins us later). I fly with them about every six months to the U.S. plus to some other countries. They're born here in France and have both nationalities. I've never been asked or had to provide any other documents. Once, leaving France, they did run a check on us and of course, came up with nothing and I was allowed to leave with the children. Remember too, that we have two nationalities involved and I was flying to my home country (why they noticed us ;).

By all means, bring the all the documents you think you might need but if this child has a U.S. passport, then in theory, that's all that he should have to have. When there's a risk of flight, arrangements are made with the childrens' passports. Also, if this has been going on for a few years, that will work in your favor (plus if you're all the same nationality!)

In your shoes, I'd have the other papers too but just knowing this little fact might ease your mind and something you can point out if you're ever questioned.

I contacted our local U.S. Consulate and asked about consent forms. They told me that if my children have U.S. passports, than that was when my husband consented to let them travel without him. To get a child's passport, both parents have to now sign, whatever the nationality (and amusingly, they don't have to even speak English, which is the case with my dh).

Another example of don't believe everything people tell you. Consent to issue a passport IS NOT the same as consent for one parent to take a child out-of-the country without the other parent. It's merely consent to issue a passport.

Yes, you will usually have no problem when going to/from the US and Europe. However, try this going to Mexico, Canada, Brazil, Chile, Dominican Republic, etc. without the notarized consent to travel form. You can be denied entry and boarding of your flight. Check with the consulate of your destination country.

You are better off getting the consent form signed and notarized, even if it's never needed.

We will be traveling in about a week and a half with my 12 year old step-son and I'm tring to find a travel consent form to have his mother fill out. Just so that when we take him out of the country we have no problems. I got one online 2 years ago but cant seem to find any free ones online. Any help would be wonderful.

Thank you

MD,

We just returned from our second cruise with our 8-yr-old grandson.

We bring his embossed birth certificate and a copy of the form you can find in the following link: https://www.legaldocs.com/child_1.aspx

It's free! Just fill in the info and it will be condensed into a legal "Child care Authorization." Then get it notarized and you're good to go.

Enjoy your cruise.

captainal

Thanks everyone!

I had one of these forms for our last cruise 2 years ago and it was never asked for. But since I am obviously not the mother on his BC I want to be prepared just in case. And we do not have custody of my stepson, she has no problem signing this form so its never a problem.

Thanks so much

Florida 8 days

Cruise 12 days

• 2 weeks later...

My 11 year old son and I are going on a Royal Caribbean cruise to Mexico and Belize. I just found out Mexico (and I think Belize) requires a minor consent form. My son does have a passport.

While the father is on the birth certificate, we were never married; he has not had a role in my son’s life, has not offered and does not pay any child support, and obviously not a decision maker. Basically his only role was he signed the birth certificate.

What are my options as we do not know his whereabouts or have his contact information? Help! :confused:

My 11 year old son and I are going on a Royal Caribbean cruise to Mexico and Belize. I just found out Mexico (and I think Belize) requires a minor consent form. My son does have a passport.

While the father is on the birth certificate, we were never married; he has not had a role in my son’s life, has not offered and does not pay any child support, and obviously not a decision maker. Basically his only role was he signed the birth certificate.

What are my options as we do not know his whereabouts or have his contact information? Help! :confused:

Messy. Too bad he signed the birth certificate. You really should get an attorney and obtain sole custody to avoid problems in the future.

You will not be able to go to Mexico without this notarized signed letter or a court order. The fact that your son has a passport is irrelevant, and has nothing to do with this permission letter issue. I highly advise you to seek legal counsel and not rely on answers on this board, as I have seen much incorrect advice given about this subject. If you don't have an attorney, start with your county's family law court; often times there is a free advisor and you can call them to begin.

I hope your cruise is at least several months in the future so you have time to do this.

Archived