lone pine koala sanctuary

cheermum42

I will be cruising Australia in November and one of the ports we visit if Brisbane they offer an excursion to the lone pine koala sanctuary I would like to know if anyone has been here and if so could you give me some in sight as to how it was. Also should I take the excursion or do it on my own (the cruise ship is charging almost $50.00 more)

I will be cruising Australia in November and one of the ports we visit if Brisbane they offer an excursion to the lone pine koala sanctuary I would like to know if anyone has been here and if so could you give me some in sight as to how it was. Also should I take the excursion or do it on my own (the cruise ship is charging almost $50.00 more)

You could certainly do Lone Pine Sanctuary on your own. However, it depends where your ship is berthing in Brisbane. Hamilton Wharf is in a suburb of Brisbane and user friendly, whilst some ships berth at the mouth of the river (container port).

We were fortunate to be able to visit Lone Pine during our land trip in Australia.

I hope that our Australia friends will verify this, but we found each park in Australia to have slightly different rules regarding Koalas. Apparently, they are very sensitive and handling them is a specific concern.

At the sanctuary when we visited about 4 years ago, they did allow you to be up close and personal for a short time. The handlers would bring them out and you could gently pet them. When you look at their gigantic claws, you realize that as cute as they are, you might want to think twice about holding one. There was a picture concession that would let you hold a Koala for a picture, with the handler near by.

We enjoyed our time at the Sanctuary as well as the boat ride from the dock in Brisbane. It was time well spent.

If you can do it on your own, it is very easy to do.

Lone Pine can be accessed from the river but you would have to go in from the terminal (if you are out on the river the end of the line for the ferry is near) Look at Lone Pine on the web and see what they reccommend from the CBD.

Archived