RCCL saving fuel

DEBCAT65

Thanks for posting that. I wish they wouldn't have changed cruises that were already advertised, though. I think it's pretty crappo that they've modified ports of cruises that people have already paid for and (in my parent's case) booked the cruise BECAUSE of the ports that were cancelled. (My parents ended up cancelling the cruise that cancelled the port they wanted to go to and booked another one HOPING nothing changes again.) Personally, I think they should have considered leaving the cruises already set and changing cruises not yet advertised or on the website.

However, I also realize they are booking cruises in 2010, so there would be no immediate relief of high gas prices. *ah well*

What do you think will happen to fuel supplement charges now (if anything?)

We are first time cruisers with RCCL and are very upset with an itinerary change. Obviously it is to save fuel! We paid $100 extra per person for a Feb 1st date for a South American cruise only because there was one extra stop in the intinerary. We would have preferred a date in Jan. but wanted one less day of sailing and so paid up for the extra port. We also paid extra for the airfare and even included pre and post hotel stays, all arranged with RCCL.

A couple of weeks ago we were told that they have decided to change the itinerary and have removed the one extra port. They are now advertising the fare as the same as the other dates and have added a senior discount for this cruise. We asked if we could take advantage of the lower fare and were told that we are not eligible for the discount because our airfare will change if we make any changes and that it is their choice if they decide to make changes to the itinerary. It is too late for us to cancel....we have taken time off from work and are travelling with another couple. We are disappointed in the way they treat their passengers...We have travelled on Holland america and have never had this type of thing happen. Your article confirms our belief that it is all to save $$ on fuel. Then why don't they treat their passengers fairly and atleast remove the extra $100 that differentiated this itinerary from the other sail dates? Starting off this cruise with a sour taste in our mouths!

Sometimes ships are filled by people sailing because of a particular itinerary. If the cruiselines alter itineraries and reduce port stops, I can't see how the cruiselines can still expect to fill their ships with satisfied customers. It doesn't make a bit of difference to some people whether there are 2, 3 or 4 port stops, but to others it does. And I agree...ANY changes to an itinerary should be made to sailings that have not yet had any bookings. Reminds me of some of the itineraries that have been made into "immersion" cruises to the dismay of some of those already booked. Bad move! However, with bookings opened into 2010, there's more of a chance something will change with your sailing the further out it is.

We had booked the Explorer in Fall 2009 because of the stop in Quebec City. After RCI notified us of the change, we cancelled the trip. We have been to Halifax, etc. several times and had booked specifically because of the run to Quebec.

X does a 14 day rt in fall 2009 from Bayonne to QC. We shall see if it remains and then book on the Indy in Nov for the OBC.

Thanks for posting that. I wish they wouldn't have changed cruises that were already advertised, though. I think it's pretty crappo that they've modified ports of cruises that people have already paid for and (in my parent's case) booked the cruise BECAUSE of the ports that were cancelled. (My parents ended up cancelling the cruise that cancelled the port they wanted to go to and booked another one HOPING nothing changes again.) Personally, I think they should have considered leaving the cruises already set and changing cruises not yet advertised or on the website.

However, I also realize they are booking cruises in 2010, so there would be no immediate relief of high gas prices. *ah well*

What do you think will happen to fuel supplement charges now (if anything?)

I've noticed that happen on one of our cruises. It stinks, but it does happen on the Voyager so there is loads to do aboard...and the eliminated port was not any biggie to me...

Higher fuel prices will continue to increase costs of cruising and other things we like and need.

Archived