How did they fit in the extra decks?

Clarea

I've been looking at the external dimensions of Oasis and have been wondering how they got 8 decks of balcony cabins on Oasis when Oasis is supposedly only 4 feet taller than Freedom. Freedom has 5 decks (decks 6 thru 10) of balcony cabins. Oasis has 8 decks (decks 6 thru 14, with no deck 13).

I know that on Freedom there are 3 decks between the highest stateroom deck and Viking Crown. On Oasis, there are only 2 decks between the highest stateroom deck and Viking Crown. This is because they have taken the attractions on Freedom's deck 13 (sports deck) and put them on the deck above the pools (deck 16) on Oasis. So that accounts for one of the extra decks.

That still leaves 2 decks to fit in 4 feet of space, which obviously is not possible. So I wonder what I'm missing? Are my dimensions wrong? Are the decks on Oasis not as tall? Does Oasis have shorter smokestacks? Do the decks on Oasis start lower in the ship?

I got to thinking about this because when you look at external dimensions, Oasis is to Freedom pretty much as Freedom is to Voyager. However when you compare enclosed space (GRT) Freedom is about 15% larger than Voyager, but Oasis is about 40% larger than Freedom.

Go to the following web site and you can see that they lowered the life boats and, so, the first deck of balconies are closer to the water line on the Oasis OTS.

http://www.nauticalcities.com/

ie. to get the truck under the bridge, don't raise the bridge but flatten the truck tires.

Warning! Warning! Obnoxious pop-up web site at above URL then discovered I didn't have my Windows Firewall turned on.

Thanks for that link to nauticalcities. That's a great website.

So you're thinking that for example, deck 6 on Oasis is closer to the waterline than deck 6 on Freedom? Maybe the increased width of Oasis allows them to get a usable passenger deck closer to the bottom of the ship?

Also, in looking at the profiles of Oasis and Freedom, Oasis might be a little shorter from Viking Crown to the top of the stacks. All these factors might account for my mystery 3 decks.

Thanks for your input.

Archived