Phillip Island

MOYSHA

One of the stops on our ship is Phillip Island, Australia, and the tour offered by the ship is to watch the small penguins walk from the water to their nests.

Has anyone on these boards done that ? How interesting or wothwhile is it.

We're questioning whether or not to do it and would like input from our fellow ccers

Thanks

Al

Hi there! While I have not done this myself (isn't that always the way? We want to see the rest of the world before seeing our own back yard!) I would think it would be a lovely thing to see if you like penguins. The following sites may help you decide. The about.com site has a good description.

http://goaustralia.about.com/cs/vicsightseeing/a/phillip1.htm

http://www.visitphillipisland.com/

http://www.phillipisland.net.au/penguinparade.html

Hope that helps!

My wife and I visited the penguins in Feb of this year. It is very commercialized, but we found it interesting and worthwhile. You will not be allowed to take pictures. We sat on bleachers and waited for the penguins to arrive. It is really fascinating and they are small. We were lucky because the chicks were still on shore in their nests at that time of year and it was even more interesting hearing and seeing them reunite. If you visit the Port of Call section, you should be able to find a lot of discussion concerning this tour. The bottom line for us is that we would recommend a visit. If you like penguins and you are visiting Auckland, they have a very nice "aquarium" where the penguin exhibited is good. You get to take pictures and see them up close from an "Artic Cat".

One of the stops on our ship is Phillip Island, Australia, and the tour offered by the ship is to watch the small penguins walk from the water to their nests.

Has anyone on these boards done that ? How interesting or wothwhile is it.

We're questioning whether or not to do it and would like input from our fellow ccers

Thanks

Al

Was in Australia in 1998 and went to see the Penguins. It was amazing - we were told they would appear at a certain time and sure enough when the waves rolled in at that time there appeared dozens and dozens of the little devils. We were on a land tour and had supper as well. I think it is something to see after you've gone all that way. We were there in October, dress warmly at that time. Millie

OMG this was so great. we booked the "Ultimate Penguin" tour which was a different beach than the groups go to. There were 8 of us total and we sat on the sand with night vision goggles and witnessed the most amazing, cutest parade of little guys. It was the absolute highlight of our trip. That was 2 years ago and I still smile when I think of it.

---------------

Helen

Definitely worth it and I think the main reason the ship stops at Phillip Island. Expect to see about 700 Penguins waddle in at dusk after fishing in the ocean. There is also a Koala habitat so you will probably see them as well.

There is a HUGE greenhouse on Phillip Island which grows Gerbera flowers and exports them all over the world. It is beyond amazing in its size and the number and colours and sizes of the flowers. We are not garden type people and found it a jaw dropping place!! The penquins are cute too, but not worth a trip IMO if you have seem something else similar in another location. Have a wonderful trip!

I have seen this interesting spectacle several times. Many years ago, you could just sit on the sand and watch the little penguins coming home to their nests after their hard day out at work. Now, it is more commercial and you pay for viewing space, behind barriers. It is always fun to watch as the penguins have their own little personalities. Bear in mind that these are "fairy penguins" and they are very small. They are very cute though, and are only found in Aust and NZ (I think), so if you are coming from afar, this could be your only opportunity to see them. If you are actually stopping at Phillip Island, there are other things to do, as there are some beautiful beaches, other wildlife like seals etc, and some interesting restaurants in the town of Cowes. Have a great time. :D :D :D

Archived