Picture of New Menu with $14.95 Chops Steak

GMoney

I've steered clear of the original thread on this, just because of the flared tempers d/t the newness of this. I have to agree, for just a few more buck, head up to Chops for the full experience. Definitely one of our fondest memories from our last cruise. I have to say, I feel bad for the servers. They work so hard (from my experiences), I think it's horrible that now they have to worry about getting charges onto your seapass, too. Don't know how I feel about the broad scope of this. Just my 2 cents.;)

Here is a picture taken today from Majesty's new DR menu with the new $14.95 NY Strip Steak from Chops. It's a little hard to read but you'll get the idea...

OK I am totally confused, when did they add a Chops to the Majesty???? How can you offer a steak made at Chops when there isn't one on board??? Did they add one???Anyone???

Laura

OK I am totally confused, when did they add a Chops to the Majesty???? How can you offer a steak made at Chops when there isn't one on board??? Did they add one???Anyone???

Laura

It's a Chops quality steak. It's not actually made in Chops.

It's a Chops quality steak. It's not actually made in Chops.

OK I get that but will it be as good. I mean the cooks in Chops are really great at cooking your meat just the way you like it. I really dont see that happening in the main kitchen and what about the time it takes from when its cooked to when it gets to your table?? I just don't think you are going to get what you are paying for.

Laura

OK I get that but will it be as good. I mean the cooks in Chops are really great at cooking your meat just the way you like it. I really dont see that happening in the main kitchen and what about the time it takes from when its cooked to when it gets to your table?? I just don't think you are going to get what you are paying for.

Laura

We were wondering the same thing. For an extra $15.00 I'm thinking it will be "made to order" and not cooked earlier in the day like the rest of the food in the dining room. Who's going to pay extra for a steak which was made 8 hours earlier and reheated?

I've steered clear of the original thread on this, just because of the flared tempers d/t the newness of this. I have to agree, for just a few more buck, head up to Chops for the full experience. Definitely one of our fondest memories from our last cruise. I have to say, I feel bad for the servers. They work so hard (from my experiences), I think it's horrible that now they have to worry about getting charges onto your seapass, too. Don't know how I feel about the broad scope of this. Just my 2 cents.;)

I agree with you totally on this one, but I feel I too have to weigh in on this one just in case RCCL is scoping this one out for future cruises.

I loved my experience at Chops and feel it was soooooooooo worth the extra charge, RCCL made it about the total experience...I had never experienced that level of service at any restaurant, obviously because I couldn't afford it...so the experience just added to my overall enthusiasm (if not obsession) with cruising.

I also love my experience in the dining room on the ship...it has an allure all its own...if they start offering a Chops quality steak at an extra price...or for that matter anything else at an extra price...it just cheapens the overall dining room experinece for me.

So if your listening RCCL...keep the specialty restaurant foods and pricing separate from the Dining Room!

Liberty did not have the additional steak at a charge. I just looked over all of the menus and it is not there. I think it may just be something that is being offered on ships that do not have a Chops. New menu started on Sept 1.

Just FYI, the ships that have reported this are Majesty (no Chops) and Freedom (which has a Chops). So far, it looks like a limited-scale experiment, or might be the start of a broader rollout.

Since the menus changed Sept. 1, does anyone have the menus for Liberty? My DH are debating on whether to skip the main dinning room all together next month. We did book Chops for our anniversary but are thinking windjammer/Johnny Rockets for the rest of the week. The new menus will definitely help in deciding. Thanks

Laura

You can't possibly believe that they hire specialty chefs who ONLY cook in specialty restaurants, can you?

The same chefs, sous chefs and kitchen staff prepare the meals for the whole ship including main dining room, buffets, any deli's, fish n chip places, specialty dining rooms, etc.

What you are paying for is more food, better presentation of it and personalized service.....and the feeling you are getting special treatment. Same chefs......

You can't possibly believe that they hire specialty chefs who ONLY cook in specialty restaurants' date=' can you?

The same chefs, sous chefs and kitchen staff prepare the meals for the whole ship including main dining room, buffets, any deli's, fish n chip places, specialty dining rooms, etc.

What you are paying for is more food, better presentation of it and personalized service.....and the feeling you are getting special treatment. Same chefs......[/quote']

Actually... you are incorrect about this, sort of... The application/hiring process for Chefs at Chops/Portofino is different than that of the MDR... the qualifications needed are different for those venues as the food cooked in MDR is more mass-produced, banquet style (heavy focus on prep is needed) and what is served in the specialty restaurants is cooked to order...

For the specialty restaurants, they seek a staff that has more restaurant kitchen experience whereas for MDR, they seek culinary folks who have more of catering-type experience... One is more prep-based and not as fast-paced as the other...

DH interviewed with RC Culinary a few months back... :)

I would say though, that ordering this steak probably entails pulling one of the MDR kitchen folks to "fire up a $15 steak", he then stops chopping veggies and proceeds to the grill... Whereas ordering it at Chops means you are getting someone who grills a heck of a lot more steaks in his day to day...

There's a skill-set involved with grilling steaks that not all culinary professionals possess...

This is one of the tackiest thing I have ever seen. I think it just cheapens the entire dining room experience to have an entree for additional charge listed on the menu.

I tend to agree. When I first read about this, it struck me as here is the MDR cheap quality stuff, but if you want the good quality food, here is the cost. I think it degrades what is offered in the MDR.

I tend to agree. When I first read about this, it struck me as here is the MDR cheap quality stuff, but if you want the good quality food, here is the cost. I think it degrades what is offered in the MDR.

Absolutely. I will be very interested to see how the waiters are handling this. I mean pushing the extra cost item(s).

I agree with the folks who think that this extra charge "Chops" steak in the MDR is a terrible idea and very tacky to say the least.

What is the exact message that RCCL is going for here? Something to the effect of "Well here is the dining room menu and it is ok, but for only $14.95 more you can get an excellent steak" I mean it sounds so awful, something along the lines of an InfoMercial. YUCK.

I agree with the folks who think that this extra charge "Chops" steak in the MDR is a terrible idea and very tacky to say the least.

What is the exact message that RCCL is going for here? Something to the effect of "Well here is the dining room menu and it is ok, but for only $14.95 more you can get an excellent steak" I mean it sounds so awful, something along the lines of an InfoMercial. YUCK.

:D:D

That's why I am curious to know how the waiters will handle inquiries.

Like, the menu says a sirloin is 'no extra charge' but the strip loin is $15. Whats the difference? Maybe if they were offering a tenderloin (filet) the difference would be more apparent, but they are not.

Archived