First ever cruise on Queen Victoria: help please

firsttimewithcunard

My wife and I are joining the QV world cruise for the last 35 days from singapore to Southampton. We have not cruised before so we are going in, somewhat at the deep end.

Can more experienced cruisers advise us on what our A6 cabin is likely to be like? Secondly, we are not anti-social but are pretty horrified at the prospect of sharing a dinner table with strangers every night. We're keen to have a table for two. Whar are our chances?

I hope I can help here. I cruised on QE2 in the Cunard family, so good choice going w/ Cunard and the newer QV. The general rule on rooms is to try to get as close to the middle and upper decks as possible, while also staying close by the elevators and stairwells. Try not to be on a deck where there are lounges/rooms, to keep the foot traffic down in the halls. I'm not sure where A6 is in the scheme of things. On the dining, I believe you can request a smaller table (or table for 2) and hope for the best. If you cannot and you end up at a table that doesn't work, the Maitre D will be quite willing to help. One thing is for sure w/ Cunard. The food & service will be 1st class. Happy travels.

Way to go w/ the 35-day cruise. I have never gone that long on a ship. Very impressive. I

Since you will be aboard for 35 days I would slip the Maitre d' at least $100 upon boarding and you will get the table you want. It's more than worth it.

:eek: $100!!!!! yOU have to be kidding...this is a wind up right????? I had the pleasure of the QV sing to souton this year...and never once had to resort to this sort of tactic. Jean-Paul, the MD in Brittannia is very helpful and Im sure would be more than happy to move you if you are unhappy with the table you are allocated without you having to resort to the unpleasant habit of bribery suggested here (said tongue in cheek, as I hope was what Wripro was doing when he said it). After all, its his job to make your experience in the restaurant as pleasurable as possible.

As to the position of your cabin on the ship., I prefer middle and low, its all personal opinion, though on that particular sector you should find it pretty smooth sailing all the way up untill the med and from there the ship handled our one rough day very well...so anywhere as long as its on the ship should be great.

I loved that particular sector so much Im booked again for 2010 , unfortuantely I couldnt quite swing it again for 2009, Compguy, if you have any particular questions regarding your trip or the ship, Im more than happy to help....

The QV is a beautiful ship, and I am sure you will be thrilled with being on her. There seemed to be quite a few tables for 2 available, and as stated previously if you do not get one, ask the Maitre d', but you probably can do it for less that $100! We usually ask for a table for 6 and have never yet been disappointed by the people with whom we have sat. We were only on the QV for 13 days, but didn't even get to try all of the things to do and see on her, so I'm sure you won't be bored! The theater is magnificent, and our table mates had a box on a couple of nights, which they thought was splendid. Our only complaint is that Hemipheres was very crowded on a couple of nights, so its a good idea to get there early if you want a seat. We were unable to get a seat on 2 nights, but otherwise we were unaware of any problems with feeling overcrowded. I would certainly go on her again, I think you have made a good choice! Our photos from the trip are at http://gallery.me.com/lesleyblake

Enjoy!

My wife and I are joining the QV world cruise for the last 35 days from singapore to Southampton. We have not cruised before so we are going in, somewhat at the deep end.

Can more experienced cruisers advise us on what our A6 cabin is likely to be like? Secondly, we are not anti-social but are pretty horrified at the prospect of sharing a dinner table with strangers every night. We're keen to have a table for two. Whar are our chances?

Hi there. We are on the full WC on QV and have a roll call for this cruise and segments why dont you join us. I am also in a A6 and there are photos on Cunards site and on this board somewhere. Friends of mine are just back from Med cruise on QV so I should have more info & photos then. Keep in touch on our roll call

Pat

Hi there. I was on the QV earlier this year & can confirm that the maitre'd was charming and accommodating, and we certainly did not need to pay him to help us with our table choice.

With regard to stateroom, I believe the A6 cabins are almost 'in hull' balconies, and have metal rather than glass fronts. I don't know if you are aware of this. I originally booked one of these cabins without realising that fact & it was due to these notice boards that I found out & made a change to an A5 cabin. (I think I am correct about these balconies - no doubt someone will point out if I have made an error).

If you are willing to go for an A5, I can reccommend 4180, as it has a double sized balcony, which means that you have not only chairs, but also loungers on your balcony & plenty of space. Would certainly be my choice again.

Unless you have bad luck, the "strangers" at your dinner table will be friends within a day or two. IMHO, meeting new people is one of the joys of taking a cruise. And I am not a gregarious person who usually talks to strangers on the street, but maybe even a bit shy. Spending 35 days sitting at a table for two sounds pretty lonely to me.

I travel solo, so sitting at a table with others is a must for me. I can eat alone at home

I would advise you to try out a table for 6-8 that way you are more likely to meet passengers to whom you can find common ground. If however you find on the first evening that you really cannot stand the thought of 35 days at that table, go IMMEDIATELY to the Maitre D" and ask to be placed elsewhere.

On my last cruise (3B2B) I had wonderful companions for the first two sections, on the thrid I had a passenger who could only be called the Mother from Hell, as I had formed a rapport with the wait staff, I arranged that each night I would be seated as far away from her as the table allowed,the other passengers were a delight.

Enjoy your trip,I am doing the frist segment of the QV 2009 World cruise NY to LA

Many thanks for these very helpful replies.

We do have a metal sided balcony in our cabin (4038). Is that a significant disadvantage. Surely, when we're sitting on the balcony we'll be able to see over?

As for joining a roll call, i would if I knew what one was

Finally, I've seen lots of photos of the ship but if anyone had a phote of an A6 room I'd be fascinated to see that or hear about the experience?

M

Hi there. I was on the QV earlier this year & can confirm that the maitre'd was charming and accommodating, and we certainly did not need to pay him to help us with our table choice.

With regard to stateroom, I believe the A6 cabins are almost 'in hull' balconies, and have metal rather than glass fronts. I don't know if you are aware of this. I originally booked one of these cabins without realising that fact & it was due to these notice boards that I found out & made a change to an A5 cabin. (I think I am correct about these balconies - no doubt someone will point out if I have made an error).

If you are willing to go for an A5, I can reccommend 4180, as it has a double sized balcony, which means that you have not only chairs, but also loungers on your balcony & plenty of space. Would certainly be my choice again.

Hi

The A6 balconies are not in hull and it is just the forward balconies that have metal rails the aft ones have glass

Pat

Hi there again Goldie Girl

I have just realised that you were in 4180 and they have now regraded to A5 we are in 4178 which was A6 when we booked for the WC We are looking forward to the larger balcony and pleased to hear that they have loungers on. Any info you can give me re the space between the cabins would be great I believe that it is a stairwell and pantry is that correct and did you get any noise from them at night.

Pat

Hi,

Welcome to our forum, I hope you get lots of good info here. We'll be on the QV in about 6 weeks so I should be able to give you lots of good info when we return.

As for table preferences, I think the earlier you get your request in, the better. If you are using a Travel Agent, have him or her make the request as well. I would encourage you to consider a larger table and use the table for 2 as a fall back. I love having the chance to meet new people and it is so much fun to sit over dinner talking about your day's adventure. I can honestly say that my tablemates on all my cruises are now dear friends who I email and talk with regularly. You can also utilize a table for 2 at the other restaurants such as Todd English.

Happy travels,

Morrie

Hi Morrie,

Looks like you are on our cruise.

We are having our first cruise leaving in 6 weeks on the QV ex Barcelona. We are on A6 foward and we are just so happy to be going. When we booked in February we thought you take what you get.

Anyway I started a thread on the Cunard Cruise section for our cruise which has been rather sparse so far.

Howard

Hi Morrie,

Looks like you are on our cruise.

We are having our first cruise leaving in 6 weeks on the QV ex Barcelona. We are on A6 foward and we are just so happy to be going. When we booked in February we thought you take what you get.

Anyway I started a thread on the Cunard Cruise section for our cruise which has been rather sparse so far.

Howard

Hi Howard,

If you are boarding in Barcelona then I am not on your cruise - sorry! We are going from Rome to Athens by way of Egypt - LOL! I hope you enjoy your voyage - we are very excited about our impending departure.

Morrie

Hi there again Goldie Girl

I have just realised that you were in 4180 and they have now regraded to A5 we are in 4178 which was A6 when we booked for the WC We are looking forward to the larger balcony and pleased to hear that they have loungers on. Any info you can give me re the space between the cabins would be great I believe that it is a stairwell and pantry is that correct and did you get any noise from them at night.

Pat

Hi Pat, sorry for the delay in replying, I have been off-line for a few days. The space is indeed a pantry (abutting 4178), then a small space & then a crew stairwell forward of 4180.

We found the stairwell to be of no particular problem, although some of the crew were heavy on their feet & also let the door bang occasionally. It didn't wake us, nor annoy us in any way though. One slight downside of the balcony on 4180 was that there were sometimes cooking smells from a vent which was over the balcony. Again, this was not overly a problem, and the size of the balcony made up for any slight problem!

With regard to your specific question: 4178 - our friends had this cabin & did find the pantry noisy - and with the hard-working steward arriving early in the morning, did experience some slight irritation with the noise. However, I believe their overriding thought was that they too would book this stateroom again to take advantage of the balcony.

I am sure you will enjoy it, and appreciate the larger space.

GG

Archived