Converting to NCL

sox583

Speaking of eggs benedict...

Every time I have had eggs Benedict on NCL, they were prepared to perfection. The breakfast buffet on the Jewel class ships have eggs Benedict and even on the buffet, they were perfect.

Recently I ordered eggs Benedict for breakfast in the main dining room on the Liberty of the Seas. There were three other passengers in nearby tables that had ordered eggs Benedict and all three passengers sent them back. Then I was served mine and realized why...the eggs yolks were ROCK HARD. I sent mine back too and was told by the waiter that the Chef said that is the way he prepares eggs Benedict. I must specify if I want the egg yolks softer. Well, I never!!!

As for the specialty restaurants on all three lines....they are pretty much the same...excellent. NCL's Le Bistro and Cagney's high quality food which is prepared to perfection every time we dined in them are my favorite restaurants. Teppanyaki is a very close third. RCCL's Portofino and Chops is as good as NCL's shining stars. We have also dined in Carnival's supper club and find them to be excellent too, not better.

Comparing the main dining rooms on all three lines...again, pretty much the same. I do absolutely love the savory bites RCCL has every night at dinner. Always look forward to them when we cruise RCCL. NCL's chocolate fondue in Le Bistro is another item I always look forward to.

Each line has great things to offer and each line falls short with some things. Take the good with the not so good and you will have a fabulous time no matter which line you cruise on. I give the edge, however, to NCL's newer ships.

Our very first cruise was on the CCL Triumph 8 years ago. I remember the food being just great and so pretty and well presented when brought out. I also remember the service being terrific (always a Coors Light waiting for me at the table when we arrived. However, we just got off the CCL Victory (sister ship to Triumph) from the very same itinerary as 8 years ago. What a complete difference from our last CCL cruise. The food was mediocre at best (think catering house wedding food) with no presentation at all. Service was poor also. Not sure if it is just this ship or what, but CCL food can't compare to NCL food. I have yet to have a bad meal on NCL and it has a far better presentation..

I too, like many others here, have cruised all three lines. RCCL/CCL are my favorites for my own reasons.

I do agree that Carnival has the largest staterooms. I usually get a balcony cabin, NCL standard balcony doesn't come close to RCCL's balcony cabins, they are much smaller and harder to manuever in and not nearly as much storage as RCCL and the bathroom seemed smaller.

There are things that NCL did far better than the other lines. I think service was good on all the ships, RCCL keeps a better ships and the staff seems to be a bit friendlier.

Someone mentioned that on NCL the officers were more accesible, that's true and they remember haven spoken with you, which is a nice touch.

I think RCCL wins out when it comes to activities on board and the CD really getting involved.

Of the three lines I would sail NCL and RCCL again, Carnival not so much...I've never had a bad cruise but Carnival just wasn't my cup of tea. Again this is just my opinion

I am a preferred Princess cruiser (mainly because of their anytime dining) but have been on Carnival and Royal, I will be taking my first NCL cruise in a few weeks.

My question is in my title, but just wondering what is so great about NCL's bathrooms?

I am a preferred Princess cruiser (mainly because of their anytime dining) but have been on Carnival and Royal, I will be taking my first NCL cruise in a few weeks.

My question is in my title, but just wondering what is so great about NCL's bathrooms?

They are a little larger than some other lines but the big plus: the newer NCL ships, the showers have doors, not shower curtains and the toilets are separated by a door. They are still small, no difference there, just a little nicer, that's all.

Be sure and report back to us after you return.

Nita

Does NCL offer a wide variety of activities on their "at sea" days?

In my view, yes - more than sufficient. I've seen a review where someone complained there was nothing to do, but, rather it turned out there was nothing this particular person was interested in doing. Go with an open mind and you'll see that there are many things on sea days - enough so that some will run into others, or overlap in scheduling and you'll have to decide what to do.

On our cruise a few weeks ago, we enjoyed smoothy tasting (essentially unlimited), my wife/daughter went to a couple dancing classes, my wife and I went to a Martini tasting/session, we went to a couple NCL-U sessions, backstage theater tour with some of the entertainment cast, Friendly Feud, a slide show by the CD and his staff about the ship/crew, some Trivia games, and others - it is all what you make of it. They provide plenty of activities, it's just availing yourself to go to/try them. They don't have to all excite you, and I don't think you'd be able to find anywhere that offers everything exactly matching your tastes, but NCL provides enough that there should quite a few things for you to participate in.

Howard

What Howard has said is pretty true, you may see some mention a lack of activities, but try and pin them down: normally it is a lack of activities they enjoy. Of course sometimes they can't tell us what they would have enjoyed. If you expect lots of pool activities you will be disappointed, but read your Freesyle dailies each night and circle what you would like to do the next day.

Our probem usually is, everything overlaps, so we have to miss some things. If we really don't find anything that we enjoy (usually in the early afternoon) we will go back to the cabin maybe watch a movie, read or take a nap. This is about the only time we watch TV, there is too much to do other than be glued to the tube...

Nita

Our very first cruise was on the CCL Triumph 8 years ago. I remember the food being just great and so pretty and well presented when brought out. I also remember the service being terrific (always a Coors Light waiting for me at the table when we arrived. However, we just got off the CCL Victory (sister ship to Triumph) from the very same itinerary as 8 years ago. What a complete difference from our last CCL cruise. The food was mediocre at best (think catering house wedding food) with no presentation at all. Service was poor also. Not sure if it is just this ship or what, but CCL food can't compare to NCL food. I have yet to have a bad meal on NCL and it has a far better presentation..

I haven't taken my first NCL cruise yet (that comes in 2 1/2 weeks!) but I TOTALLY agree with you about the decline of Carnival. In fact, I was a very staunch & enthusiastic supporter of the Carnival Cruise line and spent lots of time on this board & others talking up the CCL brand. After last year's Victory cruise I refuse to set foot on another CCL ship. The food was okay....but the service was so abominable that I won't give them another penny of my travel dollars.

We have also cruised RCCL and CCL, although we have only cruised RCCL with kids. My question is, we will have a 12 year old who will want to be in the teen club with the other kids traveling with us (ages 14, 14 and 16). How strict is the age requirement? Do they check that?...how?

I know on RCCL (when he was 11) he was able to hang out with the teens (they start the teen club @ 12 yr olds) only because they didn't scan the sea pass cards. Excecpt for the teen dances, which he didn't attend.

thanks in advance for your replies.

In my view, yes - more than sufficient. I've seen a review where someone complained there was nothing to do, but, rather it turned out there was nothing this particular person was interested in doing. Go with an open mind and you'll see that there are many things on sea days - enough so that some will run into others, or overlap in scheduling and you'll have to decide what to do.

On our cruise a few weeks ago, we enjoyed smoothy tasting (essentially unlimited), my wife/daughter went to a couple dancing classes, my wife and I went to a Martini tasting/session, we went to a couple NCL-U sessions, backstage theater tour with some of the entertainment cast, Friendly Feud, a slide show by the CD and his staff about the ship/crew, some Trivia games, and others - it is all what you make of it. They provide plenty of activities, it's just availing yourself to go to/try them. They don't have to all excite you, and I don't think you'd be able to find anywhere that offers everything exactly matching your tastes, but NCL provides enough that there should quite a few things for you to participate in.

Howard

Sounds great. Our last RCCL cruise...the options were a little light IMO, but your list sounds perfect.

I was interested to read this thread. I too am going on NCL for the first time in less than 3 weeks. I have been on all the other major lines except for Holland America. We usually cruise with RCL and have over 25 cruises with them. Not so sure I will like the freestyle dining, but I will give it a try. I won't pay extra money for the specialty restaurants, unless they have a special.

On RCL we have had some wonderful tablemates,, in fact we still cruise and eat dinner with them.Also, I don't worry about what time I eat on RCL, if we are doing something special we will eat in the buffet. It's very nice and the food is the same as the dining room most of the time. Plus you can wear whatever you want. Like shorts or jeans.

We have also cruised RCCL and CCL, although we have only cruised RCCL with kids. My question is, we will have a 12 year old who will want to be in the teen club with the other kids traveling with us (ages 14, 14 and 16). How strict is the age requirement? Do they check that?...how?

I know on RCCL (when he was 11) he was able to hang out with the teens (they start the teen club @ 12 yr olds) only because they didn't scan the sea pass cards. Excecpt for the teen dances, which he didn't attend.

thanks in advance for your replies.

very strict and there is good reason for this. If I had a kid that was borderline i might feel differantly, but if there is one exception made, where do they draw the line? Most if not all lines are strict.

I guess you can compare it to drinking ages, no one can drink at 20 plus 364 days if the law is 21>..

I am really surprised about RCI. We have cruised with friends on both HAL and PRincess, in both cases, absolutely no exceptions.

NIta

I was interested to read this thread. I too am going on NCL for the first time in less than 3 weeks. I have been on all the other major lines except for Holland America. We usually cruise with RCL and have over 25 cruises with them. Not so sure I will like the freestyle dining, but I will give it a try. I won't pay extra money for the specialty restaurants, unless they have a special.

On RCL we have had some wonderful tablemates,, in fact we still cruise and eat dinner with them.Also, I don't worry about what time I eat on RCL, if we are doing something special we will eat in the buffet. It's very nice and the food is the same as the dining room most of the time. Plus you can wear whatever you want. Like shorts or jeans.

I hope you adjust your attitude a little before you cruise, because it almost sounds like you do not expect to enjoy it. I hope I have taken your comments wrong. You say you have enjoyed your table mates, that is great, we have had some we enjoy as well, along with ones that have almost spoiled our cruise. When you cruise Freestyle you can sit with others if you choose. On a couple of crusies we have met people we choose to dine with over and over, but still like the flexiblity of eating when we want without choosing the buffet. Yes, often the buffet is the same or similar, but still not quite like sitting in the dining room.

again, lets hope you go with a positive attitude. May I ask, why, if you have 25 RCI cruises would you decide to change now? Many of us have 25 cruises, but not with one line....

Nita

Hello all, I had a question,We have been on all Royal Caribbean and Carnival cruises. We are planning to go on the Norweigen Gem in February! What can i expect that sets it appart from RCCL and Carnival

Not much from what I've read. I would stick with what you are familiar comfortable with. You may get stressed out my freestyle and not be happy. I really would stick with what you know. Carnival is known as being a party cruiseline, NCL is not. Royal Caribbean is supposed to have better shows, if that matters to you.

Why is it that there are several posts by people wanting "us" to convert or "sway" them to NCL? The websites of both cruise lines give you plenty of information to make an informed decision.

Thanks for your reply. How do they check the age if the program is a check yourself in and out? RCI didn't scan anything for the day activities they just gathered in a room. However they scanned the sea cards for the dances, which he never tried to enter. Just curious if anyone had actual experience with the teen program on NCL. Some cruise lines start the teen program at 12 years and others at 13 years....not sure why the difference. Thanks for your input.

Nita,

The reason that we are going to try NCL is that we love Bermuda and RCL only a 5 night to Bermuda, NCL has a 7 night. So we will give it a try.

About the dining, still not sure how it works, but I can't see paying extra for a specialty restaurant, so we will eat in the dining room or at the buffet. We don't go on the cruise to eat, so we will be ok. The dining experience is probably my least favorite part of cruising.

donna

I just got off the Carnival Triumph. Boy, what a difference a year makes. The food was pitiful in both presentation and quality. I took the Liberty last Sept. and was pleasantly surprised with the good experience we had. That is why I booked the Triumph this Aug, 31. I wondered if the downgrade was because the ship is older or if it is fleet wide. Now seeing what others say, I beginning to think it is fleet wide. Too bad, because Carnival filled a niche for S. Floridians that want to take a 7 day Caribbean cruise from Miami in the summer. To top it off, we missed 2 ports and were chased by 2 storms, Hannah and Ike. No more cruises during the height of hurricane season for me.

We are booked on our first NCL in March 2009. We have always gone CCL or RCCL. Were on the Carnival Liberty this past May and were really surprised at the level of service also as we had just been on the Victory the year before and it was Great. It was almost like they were short staffed maybe trying to save money however RCCL is a little more expensive but if the service and food is better a lot of us is willing to pay more. We really wanted to experience different lines and loved the itinerary we are going on. I am really excited to try the freestyle dining also as it is really hard to go eat at 5:45pm when lunch may have been at 2 and then there is along wait after the early dining before things crank up around the ship, so I can't wait to see the difference.

Carnival better shape up.

Great information...thanks. We love hearing the similarities and differences of both lines. We appreciate things about both RCL and Celebrity that they may not have in common so I assume we will be just as happy with NCL. I know veteran Hawaii travelers recommend not seeing the islands by cruise as you truly don't get to see much of any of them...but I think we will enjoy the cruise...sample the islands and return to the one(s) we like best!

We cruised on the GEM in August. This was our first NCL cruise having taken 4 other cruises on Celebrity. I wasn't sure what to expect as we had read some pretty negative posts as well as some very positive posts about NCL prior to our cruise.

We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise. The GEM was much larger than any of the Celebrity ships we had sailed on before. My DH loved the fact that he never felt any of the ship's movement. Only the last night we had gale winds and high seas and truthfully it felt like our other cruise days on the smaller ships. My DH is sold on big ships.

Food and dining are of course subjective. We were an extended family, 3 generations, who traveled together. We all enjoyed the dining options. We found the food to be good with good choices. The buffet, which I didn't care for because it was packed, and I mean packed, with people, offered a great selection of international foods on our Med. cruise. Even Indian which I love. We all agreed that if it hadn't been for the crowds we might have eaten there more often. (You won't catch me at the buffet on Celebrity)

Our ship was full and you cannot control where people choose to eat. Our favorite restaurant to hide away for a nibble was The Blue Lagoon. It was close to our room and rarely packed. Our favorite dining room was Magenta. We never had to wait and usually ate either 7:30 or 8 pm.

Our DS (16) had the best time of all of us. He LOVED this ship. He made friends with some of the kids on the Teen program and they would meet up at activities and then do their own things later. Their favorite was to bowl at Bliss and eat at The Blue Lagoon at 1 am. They took full advantage of the basketball court and played soccer/basketball whenever they had time to.

We found the people in charge of the children/teen programs to be professional and welcoming. They made it clear that the teen program was for the ages mentioned and younger siblings or friends would have to remain in their own group.

Bottom line is that the GEM definitely won the men in my family over. They loved the dining choices. I slightly prefer seated times and the formality of dinner on Celebrity as does my DM. It doesn't mean we didn't enjoy freestyle dining - we did as well.

Hope this helps and enjoy your cruise.

Gull

Thanks for your response. We too appreciate "the seated times and the formality of dinner on Celebrity" and RCL, however we have noticed that the entire dinner process is taking as long as two full hours. I do like most aspects of the dinning room...service, people, food etc. but when it gets well into that second hour...I get really edgy. Angie and I have been discussing other options for that very reason.

Thanks

Shawn

Archived