Grand Cayman Port Is Closed Today

N&J

Just heard from friend traveling on Triumph and they arrived at there second port Grand Cayman to find out that the port is closed. They are upset since Carnival did not find another port to go to. etc.. I know it hard for Carnival to find another port at the last minute.

We will be going on Splendor in November 21 and one of the ports is Grand Turks so far that port is closed, hoping it will be open by November 1

GC was closed until just about 2 hrs before arriving while on the Victory, due to high seas. When we got there, we were prevented from going ashore because 1 pax was deemed a terrorist.

Local security as well as US FBI\CIA arrived to interview her and it was almost 3 hrs after arrival before we were cleared for tenders. Most tours were cancelled and folks who had planned on dives were disappointed. Their whole trip was centered around the dives.

We were just glad to be able to get ashore for a few hrs!

WOW, that would get me mad. If the decision to not tender in is made and you head back out to sea, then you can at least deal with it and plan your day at sea. Waiting for 3-4 hours not knowing when/if they will let you off the ship seems like a real waste of a day to me. BUT, I still would go ashore for a while. We love port days.

We were there a few years ago...arrived, beautiful, sunny day...and went on our excursion. The woman taking us sight-seeing asked our group if anyone had anything else planned, if not she suggested we go back to the tender and board our ship after she brought us back to town. Still beautiful and sunny but my hubby and I didn't chance it and went to catch the tender. The waves were smacking the walls of the dock so forceful it made boarding the tender tough. We rocked and rolled all the way back to the ship... but still sunny. We later heard that several people on different tenders were injured and even had bones broken.

Missygirl

Just heard from friend traveling on Triumph and they arrived at there second port Grand Cayman to find out that the port is closed. They are upset since Carnival did not find another port to go to. etc.. I know it hard for Carnival to find another port at the last minute.

We will be going on Splendor in November 21 and one of the ports is Grand Turks so far that port is closed, hoping it will be open by November 1

It could be the rough seas not allowing for safe tendering. Knock wood we have never missed Grand Cayman. Keep in mind it is hurricane season, port closures are more frequent this time of year.

Two years ago, we along with other ships (around Xmas) were trying to tender to GC (We were on the Golden Princess). The captain came on and said it looked doubtful. I feared seeing my younger daughter breaking and down and crying as she loves to swim with the 'rays. We saw ship after ship turn around and sail away. Then, the captain turned the ship to that other bay they have (I forget the name) and a Voyager class ship joined us- there was only room in that bay for two ships. We tendered, about an hour and half late, in an area that was pretty deserted, though taxis showed up. I saw a different ray excursion and they took us on and out.Because we were the first ship to pull in in two days (no one made it the day before) we were mobbed by hungry 'rays! Great time.

Because it is a tender port it is not uncommon for ships to miss Grand Cayman and have another sea day instead. The day we were scheduled to go there last Feb there were rough seas and the regular place the ships tender from was closed but we got lucky and our Captain was able to take us to the other side of the island and we were able to tender from Spots Bay although all water excursions were cancelled that day. No one swimming with the stingray that day! Now we have a reason to go back!;)

Missing Grand Cayman deserves to be a disappointment BUT its not something unexpected or unusual either. Most of the time it is not known until the last minute that the tenders are not going to be running so no one should ever expect another port is going to be substituted if that one is missed. Did your friend think the captain was going to cruise a few miles further and just pull into another port and let everyone off?:rolleyes:

Do hope you get to visit Grand Turks and hope your friend re-adjust their thinking and does get to visit Grand Cayman someday.

I suppose this was Tuesday that the port was closed? I saw one cruise claiming they were stopping there...and wondered how that was going to work with Ike just a bit NE of Cayman at the time.

We stopped on our cruise there, but Stingray city was closed. That was our planned highlight so we were very dissapointed and instead went snorkling by Don Fosters...and had a great time.

Can't get upset with Carnival about that one

If Carnival cant dock, odds are none of the cruise ships are docking.

This is a common occurance with this port , and if they would have done their research ...like most of us here at CC

they would have known that

and been prepared for that to happen

An extra sea day is great :D

They should be happy ...and make the most out of it

I am not planning an excursion ahead of time for that port

I really , really want to do the Stingray swim,

but realize ahead of time ...that it just might not happen

It is the way life goes...and cruising

and you cant be mad at Carnival for that one ;)

After missing Grand Cayman 4 times because of tender issues, I finally booked a land vacation there! It is a very nice, but expensive place.

Since then, I've made the tender into there twice, but we never go during hurrican season.

GC has been very concious of the costs of closing their port and do not take it lightly. They have chosen not to build a pier there to protect the reefs and would sooner close the port than jepordize the welfare of the visitors that enjoy their island and the waters that surround it. I have missed this island on several cruises, and made it on several others. You must simply realise that this is part of cruising in this part of the gulf and completely out of any cruise lines control.

Archived