panama canal on island princess

cruisenuts4life

Has anyone done this cruise? I am considering but I am unsure about Colombia ports.What to do in panama,and costa rica (never been )Any input would be helpful. Thanks

Which one the full/partial??

Limon has one of the best excursions we have ever doen, Rainforest/canal. An all day tour but well worth it.

Colombia (Cartagena) was really very interesting. I wish I'd done a little research and chosen a better tour. The old part of the city is fantastic, street vendors were aggressive though, and among the worst I'd ever seen. And, it was brutally humid!

Costa Rica (Puntarenas) had some good tours also. The port itself doesn't have much, but it was an enjoyable place to visit.

We did the partial canal tour on the Island Princess sister ship th Coral this past May. We took some manner of excursion at each port and loved them all. Cartagena, Columbia and Limon, Costa Rica were two of our favorites. If you check my previous posts, I did a complete review of the cruise and the excursions. Hope you enjoy the cruise as much as we did.

The Panama Canal remains one of my favorite cruises. We've done full transit three times, and perhaps will do it again sometime.

Island and her sister Coral Princess were designed for the Canal (they are panamax ships), and are quite nice.

We thought Costa Rica was great, and as Spongerob points out, there are some very good tours from Punta Arenas.

This is good info as what was our Panama Canal Cruise (partial) on RCCL - Jewel of the Seas is now NOT a PC cruise but still includes Costa Rica and Colombia as ports. I am glad to know it is worth the time to still go on the cruise. As we have previously done two transits with Princess, I am actually fine with skipping the canal.

I believe we will probably get an extra day at sea on the day we were supposed to cruise the canal.

We did the full transit canal cruise 2 yrs ago. It was one of our best cruises. Going through the canal was exciting and very interesting. They have a speaker onboard the whole trip through the canal and he was very good.

Be prepared for a long very hot day.

the other ports were great, as we hadn't been to most of them

We did the full transit on the Island in March 2008. It was fantastic and we just loved Cartagenia. We went to the fort and the monastery on a Princess tour and it was great. We stopped in to the Emerald district on our way back to the ship and I bought an Emerald ring. Don't know if it was a good deal or not but it was nice and the price was good for me. There is a whole street of emerald stores. I think Guatamala was my most favourite place I have ever visited. We took a ships tour to Antigua and it is such a beautiful spot. They sell a lot of textile goods there. Nicuragua was also great. We went to the volcano and also shopping. They had lots of wood carvings. costa Rica we did a private tour to go ziplining and really enjoyed it. Hualtulco Mexico is more touristy but it was fun, we went on a catamaran trip with Princess.

This is a great cruise and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Sarah

The only drawback to the full-transit itinerary was some of the port calls were very short. I felt we HAD to take ship's tours due to the tight scheduling. I'd do it again, though.

One of the interesting things we saw was that work was beginning on the new locks. There even appeared to be a large dock being built within the canal itself, near the Gaillard Cut, that might be capable of handling cruise ships.

We are doing the cruise in January and I am curious about inoculations. Has anyone bothered with shots before they have taken this cruise and if so then which ones? Thanks for any help.:)

No inoculations unless you will be tramping through the rain forest or off on your own other than ship excursions. I have done full and partial taransit and no shots required.

Marilyn

No inoculations unless you will be tramping through the rain forest or off on your own other than ship excursions. I have done full and partial taransit and no shots required.

Marilyn

Thanks for the information....have you ever bothered with a Hep A shot?

Archived