Why did YOU book a cruise on Solstice/Equinox?

Leejnd4

What were the main reasons you booked a cruise on Solstice/Equinox?  

282 members have voted

1. 1. What were the main reasons you booked a cruise on Solstice/Equinox?

• Getting to cruise on a brand new ship – and a brand new CLASS of ship
    • Because it’s Celebrity - the ship itself is less important
    • Aqua Class – it sounds great and we want to try it
    • The price – it’s a great bargain for what you get
    • The dining venues sound fabulous, and we want to try them
    • The unique attributes, such as the Lawn Club and the Hot Glass Show
    • The ports/itinerary – the ship was less important to us than where it’s going
    • Other - describe below

We were on one of the first sailings of the Century. Worked out great and we love to try new ships.

And WE are waiting until Peggy and Bob report back from their cruise before we book anything ourselves. Might as well send out a scouting party in advance, I always say. :)

We booked the Solstice because we have been wanting to try Celebrity and we really think there is better service on a new ship. The first year of a new ship seems to have some of the best crews aboard.

The ship itself looks beautiful and has many unique features that we feel are right up our alley.

Another interesting thing to note is how few people felt that the unique attributes of S-Class (Lawn Club, Hot Glass show) factored into their decision. Only 8 out of 106 – that makes me think about the vast amount of money, and the incredible engineering challenges, that were involved in installing that lawn. Will it ultimately be worth it to Celebrity? While I don’t recall the specific details, I do recall reading that they had to actually widen the ship’s original design, and include some kind of extra supporting structures, to accommodate the enormous weight of all that turf. Considering how few people actually indicated it was a compelling reason to book their cruise on these ships, perhaps it’s really just a very expensive minor nicety? Another thought: given the heavy focus on this lawn that we saw in some of Celebrity's marketing (commercials, brochures, etc.), was this the right thing for them to focus on, considering how few chose it as a factor in their decision to book? I guess we’ll have to wait to see just how big of a hit it really is.

I have to say as a marketing professional that the lawn has already paid for itself with the buzz that it has created. People who don't even cruise are talking about it. It is a first at sea and it has created so much free publicity that even if no one ever walks on it (and I will) it was worth the price. Kind of like the zip lines on Oasis of the sea. That's one thing RCCL knows how to do, create some buzz.

I have to say as a marketing professional that the lawn has already paid for itself with the buzz that it has created. People who don't even cruise are talking about it. It is a first at sea and it has created so much free publicity that even if no one ever walks on it (and I will) it was worth the price. Kind of like the zip lines on Oasis of the sea. That's one thing RCCL knows how to do, create some buzz.

Dr K - There is already a lawn on The World of Residensea. :)

Dr K - There is already a lawn on The World of Residensea. :)

OK, let's be serious here. Residensea isn't a real cruise ship. I can't buy a ticket tomorrow, can I? Surely I can buy a condo, or rent someone else's but 90% of the people on these boards will never have opportunity to sale on that nor will anyone write about it. In terms of buzz, no one but the richest among us cares.

So let me rephrase, the lawn on Solstice is the first lawn on a mass market cruise ship that would get the cruise industry press talking.

Excellent points, and food for thought. I know I will be walking on it! :)

OK, let's be serious here. Residensea isn't a real cruise ship. I can't buy a ticket tomorrow, can I? Surely I can buy a condo, or rent someone else's but 90% of the people on these boards will never have opportunity to sale on that nor will anyone write about it. In terms of buzz, no one but the richest among us cares.

So let me rephrase, the lawn on Solstice is the first lawn on a mass market cruise ship that would get the cruise industry press talking.

No need to rephrase....The Lawn Club is area that speaks to imagination and reaching higher limits on a ship you and others can afford to sail on.

The Lawn Club area will be a destination on this class of ship, and while it is not part of guests vocabulary at this time, once the ship sails, it will be a highly utilized area that people will enjoy.:)

The Lawn Club area will be a destination on this class of ship, and while it is not part of guests vocabulary at this time, once the ship sails, it will be a highly utilized area that people will enjoy.:)

I agree - not only about the lawn club but other aspects of the new ship that people just won't be able to fully appreciate until they've experienced it first hand.

Archived