Hiking in Canada/New England

sunraiser

My husband and I are very active, and are interested in this route for cruising. Are there any hiking/walking trails in these destinations? We do not want to sit in bus tour!

There are wonderful hiking trails just outside Bar Harbor in Acadia National Park.

In Saint John New Brunswick the Irving Nature Park is located just outside town and the trail offers scenic views of the Bay of Fundy. It takes about 2 hours to walk the trail.

If you drive about an hour outside of Saint John to just beyond St. Martins you can hike the Fundy Trail which also offers wonderful views of the Bay. There is a small charge to enter the Fundy Trail area but the Irving Nature Park is free. The Irving Trail is a loop. The Fundy Trail is straight line but they used to offer shuttle buses back to the parking lots. I have not heard any different so I imagine they still do.

On PEI some old railway beds have been converted to walking trails. I don't know where you would access them outside Charlottetown but I am sure that someone local could help if they see this post.

In Halifax there are many trails through Point Pleasant Park which is near the cruise terminal.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week we were in Newport, Bar Harbor, Boston, Saint John, & Halifax.

Newport was our highlight. There is a pathway all along the water way high up on the cliffs. You have a fantastic view of the water on your one side and pass all the mansions on the other. Really nice & no need for an organized tour to do this.

Bar Harbor- the Arcadia National Park is incredible. We took Ollie's Trolley 2 1/2 hour tour and got three 15 minute stops. If you are interested in hiking you should take the direct shuttle or cab.

Boston- We enjoyed the Freedom trail. It is a red marked pathway throughout the city that will take you past the historic sites. We bought a guide book at the visitors center for $7. It was useful to help keep you on path and to explain the different sites. An audio guide for an ipod would be nice too. We had difficulty downloading one and didn't use that. Not a rigorous hike, but very enjoyable. We took a $24 cab (split 4 ways) there and a $12 cab split 2 ways back. (including tip)

Halifax- We hadn't wanted to get this much of a workout in, but we headed out on foot from pier 21 after walking a bit, spotted the citadel and decided to walk there. It isn't all that far, but uphill. Great place to walk around. Bagpipers playing, war artifacts, and spectacular views. I think it was $7 to get in and they recommend spending 1-3 hours. At noon there is a cannon firing or something, but we hadn't timed it well to see that. We ended up taking a cab back as the trip up wore us out. Stupid of us really as we should have taken the cab for the uphill part, but not having a plan that is how it turned out. Also there is a long boardwalk along the waterway from the pier that is nice to walk.

Saint John- cant help you out there as by then we were welcoming sitting on a bus tour as we were hiked out. We did just that and sat on a 2 hour tour from the local transit.

You can enjoy a great deal on foot with this itinerary.

Archived