Need suggestions/help for NYC for one day

Sue's Mom

We will be there on October 12 from 7am to 5pm. My DH is definitely not a fan of cities and was a little dismayed when he found out that we had a day in this wonderful city. I am really excited about it. :D

I have thought about taking a Greyline hop-on hop-off downtown tour because I really want to see Top of the Rock and Grand Central, amongst other things.

As there will be three other cruise ships in port that day, three at Manhattan and one at Brooklyn, it occurred to me that the Greyline may not be a good option.

I would really appreciate thoughts/advice on this point and any other suggestions would be welcome too. The scale of planning for this city is beginning to overwhelm me. I can only liken it to going to visit London - and I am from Britain! Rather daunting.

Please help me. :confused:

As there will be three other cruise ships in port that day' date=' three at Manhattan and one at Brooklyn, it occurred to me that the Greyline may not be a good option.[/quote']

Do the Gray Line bus tour; it will make a daunting city manageable for you. We won't even notice the cruise ship passengers in town, and neither will you. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan for some history, etc.

October 12th is the Saturday of the three day Columbus Day weekend so the city may not be as crowded as usual and frankly Saturdays are never as crowded as weekdays. Take one of the sightseeing tours to get a handle on the city and if time allows visit Central Park (should be prime fall foliage time) or one of the many great museums.

Thank you both for your most reassuring replies. Greyline it is then and probably Central Park.

JMHO, but this is one of the BEST NYC tours. Hits all the highlights. I have done quite a few NYC tours-limos, taxis, hoho bus, etc.. I take new employees so they KNOW what they are getting into delivering and picking up freight in Manhattan. I just think this is the best of the tours.

https://www.coachusa.com/newyorksightseeing/booking.asp?action=ProductDetail&SEE=1&productId=2980

Can you get on the Greyline from EWR?

Stephanie :cool:

No. The Gray Line (not Greyline; if you try to Google it that way you may not find it) tour can be joined at any number of places in Manhattan, including the Port Authority Bus Terminal at 42nd & 8th Avenue, where the airport bus from EWR will deposit you.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking for a way to spend half-day in NY. Was hoping to go to a park.

Would any of you happen to know how far Central Park is from Cape Liberty? Central Park is big, so any advice on a location to get dropped off at that has basic facilities (washrooms, picnic area, etc.) would be great! Thank you

JMHO, but this is one of the BEST NYC tours. Hits all the highlights. I have done quite a few NYC tours-limos, taxis, hoho bus, etc.. I take new employees so they KNOW what they are getting into delivering and picking up freight in Manhattan. I just think this is the best of the tours.

https://www.coachusa.com/newyorksightseeing/booking.asp?action=ProductDetail&SEE=1&productId=2980

I'm a huge fan of the Grayline tours and I've probably done them 20+ times. Great way to hit up the highlights of Manhattan, Brooklyn, and parts of Harlem tourists would not see otherwise.

Looking for a way to spend half-day in NY. Was hoping to go to a park.

Would any of you happen to know how far Central Park is from Cape Liberty? Central Park is big, so any advice on a location to get dropped off at that has basic facilities (washrooms, picnic area, etc.) would be great! Thank you

Cape Liberty to Central Park=New Jersey to New York State

Actual miles=about 15

Actual time to get there-at least an hour.

Cost to get there=from $20.00pp public transport to $150.00 RT by taxi.

1/2 day-you are cutting it VERY close. Transport time alone will be at least 2 hours. Not much time to see anything.

IF you just want to see a park, you could go to Liberty State Park in New Jersey. EXCELLENT views of NYC and the Statue of Liberty. If you want to see Central Park, 1/2 day is really not enough time.

Thank you for your suggestions. Just checked out the Liberty State Park website...can't believe it's just 15 minutes from the pier! It looks great, and the short ferry-ride over to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island is a total bonus! We didnt think we'd be able to visit the island- thanks again for the advice!

Thank you for your suggestions. Just checked out the Liberty State Park website...can't believe it's just 15 minutes from the pier! It looks great, and the short ferry-ride over to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island is a total bonus! We didnt think we'd be able to visit the island- thanks again for the advice!

Please be aware that you cannot get off your cruise ship, make your way to Liberty State Park and just go the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. To actually get to the Statue or Ellis Island requires tickets in advance (or a long waiting line). And to really see anything takes a darn sight longer than 4 hours.

http://secure3.gatewayticketing.com/statuecruises/shop/ViewItems.aspx?Merchant=STC&CategoryGroupExternalID=STCT&CategoryExternalID=NJTKTS

What you actually have time for (if you only have around 4 hours)-a cruise around the harbor around the Statue of Liberty FROM Liberty State Park.

There are many operators. But they usually last about an hour. Here's an idea.

http://www.nywatertaxi.com/tours/gateway/

Hi greatam,

Thanks for the heads up - your advice is making planning so much easier for me. Just one more question - would you happen to know if there are any storage areas/lockers available for our suitcases? we're from out of town and will be just departing the ship with all our luggage in tow.

Hi greatam,

Thanks for the heads up - your advice is making planning so much easier for me. Just one more question - would you happen to know if there are any storage areas/lockers available for our suitcases? we're from out of town and will be just departing the ship with all our luggage in tow.

www.schwartztravel.com

Good idea but SouthernSparkler is getting off a cruise in Cape Liberty.

SouthernSparkler, I know of no place close (there is a place in Carlstadt) that you can store your luggage. You COULD rent a car-transportation to Liberty State Park and luggage storage all in one.

Maybe someone knows if Enterprise will bring cars to the pier because there is an Enterprise office in Bayonne. There is a U-Save car rental place in Bayonne, not that far from the cruise port. Cheap junky cars designed for port workers and military but possibly a solution for a few hours. We have rented trucks from them.

http://www.usave.com/fran_detail.aspx?fid=845

Otherwise, you will have to go to Newark Airport BEFORE you go sightseeing, which on cruise day will be a BIG time waster. Enjoy!!!!

Archived