Grenada on your own with a taxi?

nc_cruiser1

We are thinking of hiring a cab at the pier to take us to Ft Frederick, Grand Etang and Magazine Beach (or maybe just two of the three). We're not sure what "mood" we'll be in when we arrive, so would like to be flexible.

Is this doable / advisable?

Definitely do-able. There are numerous drivers at the pier screaming for business.

If you decide on Grand Etang and would like to avoid the negotiation for a cab, save money, and see more of how the locals live, it is very easy to take a bus to Grand Etang. There are details in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=707089

The fort was visible from the pier and would be quite a short walk. We would have done it except that we were tired after hiking. You could do Grand Etang by bus, go back to the port area, walk to the fort, and then taxi to the beach. I think the beach is close enough that the taxi fare would be quite a bit less for just that destination.

We were in Grenada last year and got a taxi driver to take us around. He gave us a great tour for 2-1/2 hours long at a cost of $20.00 for both of us. He was very knowledgable and friendly and we had a wonderful tour. In my opinion it was worth more than $20.00 We will be in Grenada again this year, but since we've seen some of the island, we're just thinking of going to Grande Anse beach, which is accessible by water or land taxi. I think the cost is around $6 pp round trip which is pretty cheap.

We are thinking of hiring a cab at the pier to take us to Ft Frederick, Grand Etang and Magazine Beach (or maybe just two of the three). We're not sure what "mood" we'll be in when we arrive, so would like to be flexible.

Is this doable / advisable?

• 1 month later...

We just got home from our cruise on the Caribbean Princess. Loved it!

On each island, we tried to book ahead, online, to get a 2 to 3 hour tour, then possibly some beach time. I hadn't found anything to book (have done Mandoo, very good!) but wanted to do a shorter tour. We got off the ship, asked at the tourism booth, and found the tour we wanted, a 2 hour tour for 4 of us, for $50. We asked and found out we could get dropped off at a beach after, and picked back up, for $80 total. We agreed to that. They have set taxi prices on most of the isalnds, as they did here.

We had a good tour, nice driver, we thought. But, when we were at our last site, the fort, the driver said he'd take us to the beach for a bit more. We said we'd agreed on a price, but he said a bit more tip. We stopped and talked it over, between the 4 of us, and decided we would just go back to the ship and get left off in town to shop. When he stopped in town we had been gone just under 2 hours. I handed him $60, the $50 for 2 hours, plus a $10 tip. He said we'd agreed on $80, but I reminded him it was for time at the beach, and he said he wanted more, so we decided to stick with the $50 for 2 hours. He wasn't happy, but we got out anyway! He was lucky to get the tip, after saying he wanted more than we'd originally agreed upon. The problem may have been because we first spoke to one guy, then got passed to a taxi driver. There may have been some confusion there. Anyway, we enjoyed the tour, he had been pleasant until the misunderstanding. Just wanted to warn others to make perfectly clear what they're getting, for the exact amount, in advance!

• 2 years later...
We just got home from our cruise on the Caribbean Princess. Loved it!

On each island, we tried to book ahead, online, to get a 2 to 3 hour tour, then possibly some beach time. I hadn't found anything to book (have done Mandoo, very good!) but wanted to do a shorter tour. We got off the ship, asked at the tourism booth, and found the tour we wanted, a 2 hour tour for 4 of us, for $50. We asked and found out we could get dropped off at a beach after, and picked back up, for $80 total. We agreed to that. They have set taxi prices on most of the isalnds, as they did here.

We had a good tour, nice driver, we thought. But, when we were at our last site, the fort, the driver said he'd take us to the beach for a bit more. We said we'd agreed on a price, but he said a bit more tip. We stopped and talked it over, between the 4 of us, and decided we would just go back to the ship and get left off in town to shop. When he stopped in town we had been gone just under 2 hours. I handed him $60, the $50 for 2 hours, plus a $10 tip. He said we'd agreed on $80, but I reminded him it was for time at the beach, and he said he wanted more, so we decided to stick with the $50 for 2 hours. He wasn't happy, but we got out anyway! He was lucky to get the tip, after saying he wanted more than we'd originally agreed upon. The problem may have been because we first spoke to one guy, then got passed to a taxi driver. There may have been some confusion there. Anyway, we enjoyed the tour, he had been pleasant until the misunderstanding. Just wanted to warn others to make perfectly clear what they're getting, for the exact amount, in advance!

Well well well looky here, my friend Nita. :)

I was doing a search on the WWW and this popped up.

Wanted to find out about the cost of a taxi ride to Magazine Beach.

I sent Mandoo taxi company an email, which he just replied.

He stated $50 round trip. :eek:

You are right about making it clear, where, how long, etc.

The fort was visible from the pier and would be quite a short walk. We would have done it except that we were tired after hiking. You could do Grand Etang by bus, go back to the port area, walk to the fort, and then taxi to the beach. I think the beach is close enough that the taxi fare would be quite a bit less for just that destination.

Just a quick note that the fort in town is Fort George and is easily walkable (albeit up a steep set of steps). Fort Frederick and Fort Matthew are way up the top of our highest hill overlooking the town and does need a bus to get there :cool:

Archived