Newbie Here: what should I know?

Hi!

I'm new to the boards and want to know everything. We don't have a cruise just yet, we know we're going but want something during a holiday in 2009. Thanksgiving or just before Christmas. Looking to book very soon.

What should I know? Any suggestions on a cruise? ;)

p.s. we want to leave from Port everglades or Miami. I've heard the waters are choppy from NY?

thanks a bunch!

Welcome to cruising!

I have only cruised with Royal Caribbean & it has always been great, so i would recommend them.

I think your best bet would be to go in November near or during Thanksgiving. I think you would probably get better rate. November rates seem to always be very good. Early December is great, but if your cruise crosses over to Christmas and ESPECIALLY New Years, the rates go up quite a bit.

Also, typically, in November, its still pretty warm in Florida, so when you go down to the Caribbean, the weather won't change a lot. I went on a cruise in March once when it was still a little cool in Florida (50's/60's). When we hit the caribbean it was in the high 80's. When we got back, my sinuses were all messed up :(

You need to know that the cabins will be tiny, unless you spring for a suite of some sort. And get a cruise brochure from whichever line you're going to cruise with--it has a ton of info that will be helpful, and the deck plans, so you can get excited getting aqquainted with your ship!

As far as choppy seas--it can be choppy or smooth as glass--that's up to Mother Nature! The larger ships handle small chop very well. Try to book your room near the midships area, so you won't' get so much "up and down" motion.

And don't stress about cruising! (Alot of folks do!!) It's a vacation, pure and simple. There's no right or wrong way to do it! Just go, and enjoy!

Do get a guidebook on your ports of call--you'll be a step ahead of the crowd if you know what to expect and what's available in each port! Libraries have them for free (in the travel section) or you can buy them at any bookstore! Research is key for a good trip!

You need to know that the cabins will be tiny, unless you spring for a suite of some sort. And get a cruise brochure from whichever line you're going to cruise with--it has a ton of info that will be helpful, and the deck plans, so you can get excited getting aqquainted with your ship!

As far as choppy seas--it can be choppy or smooth as glass--that's up to Mother Nature! The larger ships handle small chop very well. Try to book your room near the midships area, so you won't' get so much "up and down" motion.

And don't stress about cruising! (Alot of folks do!!) It's a vacation, pure and simple. There's no right or wrong way to do it! Just go, and enjoy!

Do get a guidebook on your ports of call--you'll be a step ahead of the crowd if you know what to expect and what's available in each port! Libraries have them for free (in the travel section) or you can buy them at any bookstore! Research is key for a good trip!

thank you so much for all your info. I'm definately going with RCCL. You are a wealth of information! :D When do you think the water is not so choppy in NY. Maybe in the summer time?

Why do you think the water in NY is choppy? I've sailed different times of the year from NY, the water is not that bad. The only time I've had choppy water is the last day home around Cape Hatteras.

I had the worst choppy water on a Mexican Riviera cruise.

Decide what cruiseline and itinerary you are interested in and then go from there.

Welcome!!

Some of the things that I have learned and used to make our cruise a great vacation!

Go with an open mind & go with the flow of things.

Get as much information on the ship, type of cabins available, pay attention to cabin location - what is above, below or next to the cabins you want to book.

CC is a great place for questions, reviews and good information.

Have fun planning!!

Why do you think the water in NY is choppy? I've sailed different times of the year from NY, the water is not that bad. The only time I've had choppy water is the last day home around Cape Hatteras.

I had the worst choppy water on a Mexican Riviera cruise.

Decide what cruiseline and itinerary you are interested in and then go from there.

I heard it was choppy in the winter. I've only sailed out of NY in the fall and it was choppy then too. But I thought I'd ask about the winter. I thin we are going to go with the Navigator of the seas. Thanks for the help everyone!

DH and I have left out of Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and Port Canaveral in the month of November. That is always a very nice time to cruise. Like mentioned before the rates are usually a little better. We love to go at that time of year. I have been out of NY only one time and it was in Sept. we did not have choppy waters at that time. We try to get a balcony cabin or JS when we cruise. Good luck finding the perfect cruise for you and enjoy all your research.

Bibleteacher, Welcome to CC, you have come to the right place for information. Being this is your first cruise, as CB mentioned, stop by a local Travel Agent ask for a Travel Brochure for a specific Destination & Cruise lines or get couple differant ones. I would recommend anything mid ship, 4-10 rooms forward or rear of elevators, smoother. Cruising is so relaxing, and meeting new friends a joy. Have fun.

Just keep reading cc and asking questions. The people on these boards are wonderfully nice and full of information. We have our first ever cruise booked to November. I have been on these boards almost daily and have everything researched and love reading the reviews and comments of all the ports. I have learned so much from these boards it is amazing. I will talk to people that have taken a cruise and it seems I know more than them and haven't even cruised yet.

One other possible suggestion: If you are a credit card user, look into and read all the thread on the RCI Bank of America Visa card. We (hubby and I seperate) applied last year as soon as we booked. With all the bonus points and all the tuition and everything else we have used the card for, we have gotten $300 taken off the cruise, and another $400 in OBC. And we will probably have enough to redeem another $100 before we leave.

(Just remember as many posts will point out, as with any credit card the points are not worth it if you are paying the interest rates on the card)

Archived