Last cruise for awhile.....

im4clowns

well I have my last cruise in less than 2 weeks. this will be my last one for about 1 year. I usually do at least 2 a year. The reason....my DH and I are finally having a baby right before Christmas via a surrogate!!

I have a cruise planned in April 2009 that has been planned for over a year to celebrate our 20th anniversary. I haven't cancelled yet because I have a sister offering to care for our then 4 month old baby girl....just don't know if I can leave for a week. So has anyone cruised and left baby at home?

well I have my last cruise in less than 2 weeks. this will be my last one for about 1 year. I usually do at least 2 a year. The reason....my DH and I are finally having a baby right before Christmas via a surrogate!!

I have a cruise planned in April 2009 that has been planned for over a year to celebrate our 20th anniversary. I haven't cancelled yet because I have a sister offering to care for our then 4 month old baby girl....just don't know if I can leave for a week. So has anyone cruised and left baby at home?

Well - Congratulations!

Yes, it wll be difficult to leave for a week, but its not like you're leaving her with a stranger. It will be a wonderful chance for you and your husband to have some alone time - because once you bring your daughter home, you will be very busy with her. :)

Make sure you leave your sister a notarized letter allowing her to make medical decisions for your daughter. Not trying to worry you - but babies can get ear infections and colds. Just to cover the bases.

Again, congratulations to all of you!

Barb

JMHO if you waited 20 years for this child and went as far as having a serogate I'd say it will be very difficult to leave this baby for a week. If I were you and I'm not obviously I'd wait till after your baby is born and not made a decision based on other peoples experiences as yours is certainly a different situation. Of course after a few months of motherhood you WILL need time to be alone with your husband to have alone time. But speaking from experience of being a grandmother my daughter who was 36 when she gave birth (and had difficulties with pregnancy) does go away overnight and leaves baby with me (for which I am grateful and love every moment with her) she and her husband call constantly to see how she is doing and just this weekend she had an opportunity to stay more than one night and couldn't stay away from baby longer and came home. So I'd wait and see for yourself.

Congrats on the good news. Girls are a true joy!!!!!! (I'm sure boys are too but I only have girls)

As for leaving your baby and going on vacation it is never easy. I am planning our 20th anniversary next June and leaving the kids behing 16, and almost 13th and I will have some difficullties. But I am still going I know I am leaving them in good hands and they will have a great time with Grandma. DH and I need time alone to enjoy being a couple again!!!!

So whatever you do enjoy!!

Yes, go on the cruise. You and your husband will be spending those 4 months focused solely on your new little one. A cruise will give you a brief few days to focus on each other and re-charge your batteries!

Just remember, the early years are easy...It is when they ask for the car keys it really gets tough.

I would just like to say that a 4 month old is a wonderful age to travel with. Get a front pack carrier and go!

So, maybe you will miss out on some of the formal meals, etc., but you can eat the same meals in your room or eat in other dining areas if you don't feel comfortable taking them into the main dining room. Of course, it won't be the same as cruising alone, but you can have great peace of mind knowing you don't have to worry about the baby. A week is along time in a babies life. I know I am going against the grain here, but I would not have left my babies at home. They are babies for such a short time in comparison to the rest of your lives. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Congrats!

Right now I am looking at my Christmas 2005 miracle. He was born after 10 long years of infertiliy -- after we had given up all hope.

I agree with those who say to wait to see how you feel. Looking back I wish I had truly understood how quickly those early months/babyhood goes. I swear, it seems like only yesterday my son was a pink little lima bean in my arms... I watch his childhood pass quicker than my camera shutter can capture moments. Treasure those moments with your baby. They are priceless.

We have traveled all over the world with our son -- and cruising is by far the easiest with a baby/toddler. Consider moving your next cruise ahead a few months when she is six months or a little older.

Whatever you decide -- congratulations. I wish you the same joy in motherhood that I have found. ;)

I have 4 kids all adults now, what i will tell you is it might be hard to leave a 4 month old with your sister, but for the sake of your relationship with your husband it is a must. My ex- wife refused to ever leave the kids with anyone and after 8 years of this it was to late to save the marriage!

I think I would think seriously about this. It's different now because you don't have her in your arms, looking up at you with her little four month old smile.

I know I couldn't leave my little boy at that age. I'd waited 7 years to have him in my arms and 4 months was too soon to go away for anything longer than one night. And, as others commented you still will call during that one night to check if she is OK. Being away and not being there for her if needed....well, up to you, but I couldn't do it.

Good luck with your decision.

Jillybean:)

First of all, a huge congratulations to you! You and your husband must be absolutely thrilled!

I can't answer the question about leaving your 4 month old behind while you cruise. I have an idea---write to Gov. Sarah Palin and see how she does it! :p

Seriously, you'll probably have to cross that bridge when you come to it. By January when your final payment is due, you might be so in love with your new baby that you can't imagine leaving without her! OR, maybe you'll need a little break with hubby to celebrate 20 years and will feel perfectly comfortable with your sister taking care of your baby.

BTW, is this your first baby after almost 20 years of marriage? What a wonderful gift for the two of you. It will keep you younger, that's for sure!

Oh, I was thinking your final payment was due in January for some reason. Good--you have longer to make the decision! I just noticed that my April cruise balance is due January 25th, but that's because we're sailing on the 5th. Glad you have some more time to think it over!

I have until middle of february to make a final decision and I figure by then that I should have an idea if I could leave Avani with my sis. thanks so much!

Congrats and best wishes.............

How exciting for you.............

We have always left our children in trusted hands...can't get much better than an experience sister. It is hard to turn over that first born, I stayed at home for 6 months, but then returned to work so neither parent was with them during the day.

As you mentioned you are keeping your options open....with that kind of attitude you will be a great parent..........

Could your baby come along and perhaps your sister and/or a grandparent to help out? Get a cheap room for them ....

You will be thinking about your baby the whole time and probably would not enjoy the trip as much.:)

I think worth the extra $$ since you won't worry and you'll have help AND the helper will also have a vacation!

Could your baby come along and perhaps your sister and/or a grandparent to help out? Get a cheap room for them ....

You will be thinking about your baby the whole time and probably would not enjoy the trip as much.:)

I think worth the extra $$ since you won't worry and you'll have help AND the helper will also have a vacation!

The problem would be that the minimum age for children traveling is 6 months. This is taken from the RCI website:

Before You BoardSee all results in Before You Board s.gifs.gifWhat is Royal Caribbean International's Age Policy? INFANT POLICY Infants sailing on a cruise must be at least 6 months old as of the first day of the cruise/cruisetour. However, for Transatlantic, Transpacific, Hawaii, select South American cruises/cruisetours and other selected cruises/cruisetours, the infant (as of the first day of the cruise/cruisetour) must be at least 12 months old. s.gifs.gif

Another thing not discussed is the time to get home if need be. How far are you sailing? How long is the cruise? Why not take a short cruise from a near by city if possible. Or just take an extended weekend to rejuvenate your relationship with DH. Someplace within easy driving to get home. There are alternatives for sure and again I truly believe in renewing that connection with DH.

Archived