One parent Cruising with (almost) 18yo DD and 17yo friend...???

BooBooMonkey

I've read/searched here about cruising with minors, but I'm still unclear about the rules.

I am taking my (soon to be) 18 yo DD on a cruise in November and her 17yo friend is joining us. I understand that her friend will need a notarized letter from her parents stating she is allowed to go out of the country with us, etc.

My husband (DD's father) is not coming (girls cruise!). Do I need a notarized letter from him also? Seems silly, but I thought I should check. DD turns 18 on our cruise, by the way. Also, she is already in the military...does that make a difference as far as her status?

Thanks!

I don't know where your cruise is going but, I would guess you are going to need (if not want) another notarized letter.

I was on an AK cruise where I took DS(1) to meet rest of family in Canada. The minute we stopped at the border the agent asked 'where's your letter?'. Of course, being prepared :=), I had one!!!

Better safe than sorry!

The letter was notarized by both my husband and myself and stated that I had permission to take DS from AK to Canada (and back).

Since your child won't turn 18 until the middle of the cruise, then yes you will want the notarized letter just in case. It shouldn't be an issue with that age but you never know.

Also, remember that her age for the cruise will be the age on date of embarkation so she will be considered 17 for the entire cruise. Being in the military won't affect her status, although you might see if she qualifies for a military discount.

Unless yu and hubby have animosity over the child, you don't need anything from him to take her on vacation. That would only apply to those with custody issues.

Make sure you have medical info for the friend, and authorization to make medical decisions on her behalf!

Unless yu and hubby have animosity over the child, you don't need anything from him to take her on vacation. That would only apply to those with custody issues.

I'm not sure where you get this information. I have no animosity or custody issues with my husband over our children, and I was asked for documentation once. How would the officials know if there is or isn't an issue? I agree that with a child of 17 the chances are less that one parent will be asked for documentation, but that doesn't mean that she can't be. And she could be subject to delay or miss her cruise without it. It's always best to have it and not need it than the other way around.

Best,

Mia

Thanks. No animosity here! Happily married. It just occurred to me that I was taking her out of the country and maybe my husband would have to sign something too. Glad I asked!

Seems silly...she can serve her country, but we need to worry about such a silly detail to spend one day in Mexico (ON her 18th b-day).

I agree about the teen club...she would most definitely be more comfortable with that than trying to hang out with older teens-20-somethings.

Yes, we were able to get the military discount. It is a pretty good deal. They didn't have any decent past guest rates, so I was glad we looked into that.

• 4 weeks later...

You will definitely want a letter for your daughter's friend; as for your daughter.. I don't think so. I am a single parent & have taken my daughter on 2 cruises already (looking forward to our 3rd).

How would they know if another parent even exists?

Make sure you have medical info for the friend, and authorization to make medical decisions on her behalf!

That's not the case at all. If one parent, regardless of personal issues, takes their minor child out of the US, they must have a signed/notarized letter from the other parent saying they know the child is being taken out of the country, and that it's OK. This is to prevent one parent from kidnapping issues. My friend took her daughter, without daddy who had to work, on a cruise and she was asked for the letter from the husband. These parents are an intact family and have no issues.

To the OP, in addition to the letter granting you permission, from both parents of your daughter's friend, the letter must also grant you permission to make emergency decisions for her. That part is really important.

I've sailed both Costa and Disney "solo", without DH, and did not have a notarized letter with me. No one asked, and it never was even a problem.

We HAVE, however, crossed the border from Alaska/US to Canada while on a cruise (rented a car to drive inland) and can vouch the Canadians were very strict in scrutinizing the passports for all of us and verifying the DD and DS were our children.

Re: the medical letter...I don't believe there is a need for one as long as one parent is traveling with the child and can make medical decisions on behalf of that child. In a real emergency, the medical officials are going to do WHATEVER to assist the patient and save their lives. If you do have special religious/medical rules (no blood transfusions), then a letter may help ensure those rules are followed.

CeleBrat

This is not true. How would they know if I have "animosity" toward my hubby or not when I am sailing without him?

BooBooMonkey - yep you are right on. It seems silly but if they ask then you are prepared. Don't forget the friend's health insurance card too. THAT is really important. ;)

Have a great cruise!

Archived