How early did you get upgraded?

Hi everyone, we've still got 220 days til our cruise leaves and I keep checking to see if we've been upgraded. How early do upgrades generally happen? Is it something that happens, if you're one of the lucky ones, much nearer the time. We're in a D1 balcony but would love to be in a Junior Suite (can't afford to pay the extra myself though!) Happy cruising:) :) :) !!!

Free upgrades are EXTREMELY rare and unusual these days, as most sailings do not have problems selling out. If they do occur, it is usually after final payment day, if they have a lot of high priced cabins unfilled very close to the sailing. It seems that those who book guarantee cabins are more likely to get upgraded, as are those who are Diamond Plus (over 25 RCI cruises) Interim price drops are more common (and you can call to get a credit if the price of your D1 drops), and this helps them fill up the ship. If you really have your heart set on a JS, it might be best to pay for one if the prices come down between now and then.

We were upgraded once and were never told, not even when we checked in. We found out when our key did not work in the cabin door, and we went down to customer service and they told us we went to the "wrong room" but still didn't say that we were upgraded. We figured it out when we opened the door to the new room.

Rather than hoping for an upgrade, I would keep checking for a price reduction and see if you can get into a JS for around the same price as your D1. Upgrades are too rare to expect one.

Agreed.

It is best not to get fixated on getting an upgrade - they really are pretty rare. If it happens, then it is a lovely suprise, but chances are (about 99.9%) that it wont - so don't set yourself up for disappointed.

This whole upgrade thing surprises me a little - i.e. how many people post with fairly boundless optimism that they will get lucky. Reminds me of when I was little (about 10 or younger) and they used to have raffles at school fayres etc... I ALWAYS used to "know" that my ticket number would come up and I would be able to win the big teddy bear! It took me quite some years (and disappointment) to realise that my numbers didn't normally come up and, if they did, I would normally be left with the jar of jam... :(

Sorry, not trying to be pesimistic, just "managing expectations".

Good luck and happy cruising :)

Boo

I've been wishing for an upgrade...and we're not even in a fancy-schmancy cabin class! :D We're in an inside cabin (aka, closet!) and would LOVE to be upgraded to a porthole cabin (we're not greedy, LOL). I heard that some people on the cruise have had the upgrade fairy visit them, and the ship doesn't seem to be filling up overly quickly either.

I suppose there's still hope!

Archived