Guaranteed Balcony Price Drop Question

AftMan

I booked the 11/23 sailing of the Mariner a couple of months ago for $1149.00 pp (two people) under a 'Cat X Guaranteed Balcony' price. About two days later I was assigned cabin 7318 (good for me). On Monday of this week the price for 'Cat X Guaranteed Balconies' went down to $999.00 pp. I called C&A, spoke with a gentleman named Jim, and soon had the $300.00 difference credited back to my credit card (I also kept the same cabin). Today the price of 'Cat X Guaranteed Balconies' dropped to $899.00 pp. I called C&A, spoke with a young lady named Kristen to request the price drop. Kristen informed me that I was not eligible for the price drop as a cabin had already been assigned. I asked how I was eligible two days earlier but not now and she would only say that she could not give me the difference in price.

My question is this-Does anyone know what RCI's stated policy is on this?

I plan to call again tomorrow to see if I get the same answer.This seems way too simple for me to get different answers from C&A. I want to be careful as I am pleased with the cabin location and would like to get the price drop and keep the location as I did with the first C&A rep. Perhaps I should just call and ask for Jim.

Insights and/or suggestions are appreciated.

Yes, there is an asterik beside the price that ultimately states that the price is for new bookings only. Best I can tell, every category on every sailing on every ship has this disclaimer on the price. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I am referring to pricing obtained on RCI's website.

If I am correct that this disclaimer is on every price stated on the site, then how can anyone ever get a price drop?

Hope this makes sense.

Yes, there is an asterik beside the price that ultimately states that the price is for new bookings only. Best I can tell, every category on every sailing on every ship has this disclaimer on the price. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I am referring to pricing obtained on RCI's website.

If I am correct that this disclaimer is on every price stated on the site, then how can anyone ever get a price drop?

Hope this makes sense.

It's not the asterisk, Aftman.

When you input all of your information, looking for the current price, are there red words "Royal Caribbean Special Event"?

If not, you should get the price reduction.

If nothing else works, ask the person to put you back into the guarantee pool and take the price reduction and take your chances on the cabin assignment.

But you SHOULD get the price reduction just by asking for it.

Resolution:

This morning I spoke with Doug at the Miramar call center (800 327-6700). Doug at first told me that the system would not allow a price reduction as the system was calling the reduced price a 'new customer only' price. He asked me to hold while he spoke with his Resolution Department. After holding for about 2 minutes, Doug came back on the phone to let me know that I will be getting the $200.00 credit back to my card as well as keeping the same cabin. Mission accomplished.

Lessons learned:

1. You may get different answers to the same question at RCI. If you feel strongly that you have a case that is not properly being addressed, call back and speak to someone else.
  2. I spoke with a total of three RCI reps during the described events. The two that were able to help were both working during the day. Possibly the day shift employees are on days due to more experience and/or better customer service. The sample size is small but moving forward I will probably always try to resolve any issues during the day.
  3. The Resolution Department has the power.
  4. Cruise Critic members are always happy to help. Thanks to Ray, Linda, and Merion Mom for your input. It was appreciated.

i have a similar question

i too am sailing on the mariner and got a price drop last week and upgraded to a D1.

this week the balcony guarantee dropped to 699. should i call and get the balcony guarantee or keep the D1 i have. it would save 300 pp, but unsure if this is a downgrade or a smart money saving strategy. thanks!

Archived