Maasdam Dry Dock

AWED23

She goes to dry dock right after her holiday cruise.... I think the date is January 3, 2009. It is going to be abbreviated from originally planned. Her drydock was to have been until January 30 but now is only going for about a week or so.

Veendam is now scheduled to be the first of the "S" to get the major dry dock changes and Maasdam will be last.... in 2010.

:)

She goes to dry dock right after her holiday cruise.... I think the date is January 3, 2009. It is going to be abbreviated from originally planned. Her drydock was to have been until January 30 but now is only going for about a week or so.

Veendam is now scheduled to be the first of the "S" to get the major dry dock changes and Maasdam will be last.... in 2010.

:) I knew you would know. We will be getting back to the Maasdam after 30 HAL cruises and a few others. She was the ship for our first HAL cruise (Cabin S-002). Then there was not a Neptune Lounge but the Maasdam is so clasic in decor that she remains one of my wifes favorites. It was on that first cruise with HAL that we met Frits Gehner the Hotel Mgr..It was his first assignment with HAL. We had a really great suite luncheon in the Hudson room. It was Indonesian with a crew show...It will be fun to go back aboard her in Boston next July for a 35 day RT to Rotterdam. Thanks again S7S....:cool:

Excellent! That means we are likely the first cruise after her drydock...we are january 9, 2009. that will be fun for us....I know only a few changes but fun still.

we've only done one other cruise it was with HAL and it was just before the zuiderdam went to drydock, so the other side will be fun LOL

Really happy both of you have great Maasdam cruises to look forward to!!! We are on the next to last Maasdam cruise before her drydock. We sail for 14 days on December 5. There will be one more 14 day cruise and then drydock.

I promise to take good care of her for you!!! :)

You're 'gonna' love her and most especially her crew. :D

Hello...

Is there a reason why there seems to be concern about the Maasdam going into dry dock?

I've never sailed with HAL before and have first sailing planned for Oct. 09. The ship looks nice enough and it's a perfect (for me) week long itinerary.

Just curious why the concern.

Thanks...

murphysmum;)

Maasdam is a fabulous ship and one of our two favorites out of a very many HAL cruises.

The big interest in her drydock is because she was to have been the first of four sister ships to get substantial 'steel' changes and now she is scheduled last.

That makes me VERY happy.

The changes have been outlined here in various thread but mostly involve adding more cabins by doing away with Navigation Deck stern pool and replacing it with some sort of fountain, shallow waterarrangement with lounges. We LOVE Maasdam's pool just the way it is.

There are to be changes to lounges and other decorating and entertainment changes in addition.

Veendam will now be the first to get these changes.

We just returned from two weeks aboard Maasdam and this week authorized final payment for two more weeks in December.

She's a fabulous ship with an awesome crew.

Hello...

Is there a reason why there seems to be concern about the Maasdam going into dry dock?

I've never sailed with HAL before and have first sailing planned for Oct. 09. The ship looks nice enough and it's a perfect (for me) week long itinerary.

Just curious why the concern.

Thanks...

murphysmum;)

As S7S mentioned, the "S" class ships are all getting some changes. There are a number here that prefer the "S" class ships as they are, and the changes represent some significant alterations compared to the way they are. In addition to the appearance changes, there will be more cabins which translates to more pax on average, creating a condition of more crowded public venues (none of the changes have mentioned expansion of the public venues). I'm a fan of the "R" and "S" class ships due to the size and the pax load. You should be able to enjoy the cruise before the changes are made.

Hello again...

Thanks for your informative reply.

Yes, if changes involve adding more cabins, I'll be very pleased to sail before they attempt to fit more cabins in. I think that I read that the ship holds about 1200 now?

I like all of the old Renaissance ships as well as the P. Gauguin. I've been on larger ships with RCCL and Princess and didn't really like the frenzied atmosphere and the crowds, but the HAL ship sounded VERY nice.

Again, thanks!

murphysmum;)

Archived