Does anybody else not want to know too much about their cruise?

lovebug33

Every time we go on any trip, not just a cruise, I always have this internal fight with myself about not wanting to know anything and being surprised, or knowing everything because I am so excited. People posted the capers for our last cruise before we went and I tried not to read them, but I couldn't help myself! Just wondering if I was the only one who has this struggle!

Things are always changing every day, they have added a Mongolian Grill on most ships and now there is a rumor that they might go to a smokeless piano bar on the Splendor, its always good to read up on a upcoming cruise to get all of the newest info that comes out.

Fred

I'm with you!

I like to know about the SHIP, and the PORTS, but I don't want to know the day to day details.........I like a bit of a surprise, and learning about "stuff" when we're onboard. I also don't want to look at menus. If I learned the menus and the activities ahead of time, I could just mail in my cruise.......

It's so much fun to plan, and to read trip reports, but I don't want to know EVERY detail about my cruise ahead of time.

I'm blown away by the amount of people that want to see menus, Capers, etc. To each their own though. I guess I can see it if you're traveling with a family/newbies. I'm a very go with the flow type person - I don't like to overplan things. I never look at the Capers in advance, and I know generally what the menus contain and that I'll always find something(s) I want to eat:). I don't care who the CD is, piano player in the piano bar, etc. I know I'll always find something to do, even if it's just reading my chick lit book on Lido deck. I do like to look at pictures of the ship to build excitement. I love when people post their photos - you can build your excitement, and vicariously live their vacation experience. I also like to plan my excursions - something I didn't really learn to do until my 4th cruise.

I have read everything and anything about the Miracle ...In 48 hrs I will find out if it's all true :D

Believe me its all true :D Give the Grilled tuna on white with extra tomatoes and mayo a try, I think you will totally love it.

Fred

I really like knowing all I can possibly know about the cruise. There may be decisions I can make now so that my vacation is easier. I feel like all the preparation makes the cruise more pleasurable. Nothing takes away from the awe feeling you get when you first board the ship!

Things are always changing every day, they have added a Mongolian Grill on most ships and now there is a rumor that they might go to a smokeless piano bar on the Splendor, its always good to read up on a upcoming cruise to get all of the newest info that comes out.

Fred

The smokeless piano bar on Splendor is no longer a rumor - John Heald confirmed it on his blog. My next cruise is on Inspiration, and a very recent cruiser said that the Mongolian Grill isn't installed on Inspiration:(. Kicking myself that I didn't try it on Valor in April!!

The smokeless piano bar on Splendor is no longer a rumor - John Heald confirmed it on his blog. My next cruise is on Inspiration, and a very recent cruiser said that the Mongolian Grill isn't installed on Inspiration:(. Kicking myself that I didn't try it on Valor in April!!

Good to know about the Smokeless piano bar, I will have to read the John Heald blog. Many people have stated that there is a Mongolian grill on both Inspiration and Imagination ships.

Fred

Every time we go on any trip, not just a cruise, I always have this internal fight with myself about not wanting to know anything and being surprised, or knowing everything because I am so excited. People posted the capers for our last cruise before we went and I tried not to read them, but I couldn't help myself! Just wondering if I was the only one who has this struggle!

!

I too am a need to know person. I guess for me it's all about the options.. I want to make sure I don't miss anything at all. It also is part of the excitement. I would look at everything if I could.. I try to tell myself to leave something for a surprise but my nosy self always wins out and I peak.. I snoop for Christmas gifts too .. I know it's bad but I just can't help myself.. a few years ago BF got me a tennis bracelet for Christmas.. not only did I find it, I opened it and wore it when he wasn't home.. called my mom and told her all about it.. she was furious with me :( He now hides everything somewhere else.. I know it's bad but I need to know .. I can't help myself .. I am nosy !!!!

I am a planner. I like to know as much as possible to prepare myself. I have no previous experiance, so if I don't research, how will I know what to do? I would hate to think I spent 2K on a trip to sit on my balcony and read. I can do that on my deck. How would I know to book excursions not from the ship, but from the vendor themselves to save money and have a better trip? I have looked at the menu to give me an idea of how much exercise I will need to do each day to eat the things I want. How else would I know that pizza is available 24 hours, as is ice cream? Or about buying, or not buying, a fountain card? There is so much to learn for us newbies, I personally am very thankful for these boeards and people who post the smallest detail.

FWIW, we went to WDW last year. i spent hours and hours researching the trip. We knew what we wanted to see, when we could see it, and some quick ways to get thru lines. My SIL went this year with no research. They stood in huge lines, missed half the stuff we did, (because they didn't know about it) and didn't have 1/2 the fun we did. Next year, we are hoping to return to WDW, and my SIL wants to go with us, and have me plan, since she regrets missing half the stuff! Sometimes, planning gets you what you want, and when you want it.

Thank you again to everyone who posts any thing on these boards. Chances are, it has helped someone out there plan their trip!

I'm blown away by the amount of people that want to see menus, Capers, etc. To each their own though. I guess I can see it if you're traveling with a family/newbies. I'm a very go with the flow type person - I don't like to overplan things. I never look at the Capers in advance, and I know generally what the menus contain and that I'll always find something(s) I want to eat:). I don't care who the CD is, piano player in the piano bar, etc. I know I'll always find something to do, even if it's just reading my chick lit book on Lido deck. I do like to look at pictures of the ship to build excitement. I love when people post their photos - you can build your excitement, and vicariously live their vacation experience. I also like to plan my excursions - something I didn't really learn to do until my 4th cruise.

I totally agree with you....I am not that big of a planner (although I am a TA)...I think sometimes too much information can hurt. There is good information everyone should know, but then there's some that will just raise expectations (especially for newer cruisers) that just lead to dissapointment. Reading some complaints people have on vacations makes me shake my head at times:) .

I have never had a bad cruise or vacation ( and believe me, I have stayed places that I would not recommend to others) ..I'm just happy to be on vacation and try to enjoy every minute. Life is just too short.

Mostly I just like to know things about the ship so I have a good sense of where everything is. I'll find our cabin and then the shortest routes to everything.

As soon as I book a cruise, I print the deck plans for the entire ship. I review it almost daily until I have it memorized. As soon as we are on board, I can easily find my way around. DH depends upon me to know the way. He never researches anything but wants me to 'be in charge' for our vacation. It's the ONLY time I'm in charge so I want to do a great job. It does help that I cruise on sister ships frequently so there isn't much memorization necessary.

I am a planner. I like to know as much as possible to prepare myself. I have no previous experiance, so if I don't research, how will I know what to do? I would hate to think I spent 2K on a trip to sit on my balcony and read. I can do that on my deck. How would I know to book excursions not from the ship, but from the vendor themselves to save money and have a better trip? I have looked at the menu to give me an idea of how much exercise I will need to do each day to eat the things I want. How else would I know that pizza is available 24 hours, as is ice cream? Or about buying, or not buying, a fountain card? There is so much to learn for us newbies, I personally am very thankful for these boeards and people who post the smallest detail.

FWIW, we went to WDW last year. i spent hours and hours researching the trip. We knew what we wanted to see, when we could see it, and some quick ways to get thru lines. My SIL went this year with no research. They stood in huge lines, missed half the stuff we did, (because they didn't know about it) and didn't have 1/2 the fun we did. Next year, we are hoping to return to WDW, and my SIL wants to go with us, and have me plan, since she regrets missing half the stuff! Sometimes, planning gets you what you want, and when you want it.

Thank you again to everyone who posts any thing on these boards. Chances are, it has helped someone out there plan their trip!

I'm the exact same way! lol I don't need to know quite everything about my vacation, but I do want to know the pros and cons of every aspect, from where I'll be sleeping to the best excursions/activities to do while I'm there. I only get a week of vacation every year, so for me it's about having the best week of the year and making the most of those 7 days. I don't want to spend every waking moment wondering what to do next. I want to know what I'm doing next. We went to Maui in 05. I planned the trip for a year. Did tons of research on the internet, bought guide books and maps, price shopped, etc. and we had the time of our lives. Got to do many things and see many things that others did not because I had all my activities booked before I even left home...no scrambling last minute to book the often sold out evening luau in Lahiana, kwim? So yes, I have to know everything. Or close to it!!

The activities and information does change, sometimes not by much, other times radically!!!!

I want to know about the ship and the names of the places, but as for activities each day, I can discover that when I get on board!!!! I do want to know what tours are available so I can do my homework and decide what I want to do....It won't be a problem for Janaury as I got a preview of the Exotic Western route thanks to Hurricane Ike!!!!

In regard to an earlier post, I can say with certainty that there is a Mongolian Grill on the Imagination. I don't know about the Inspiration, but if it was posted wrong it's probably because the names of the ships are too similar and caused confusion for someone.

I know I accidentally read a review on the Inspiration instead of the Imagination one day. Just didn't look at the title close enough. Silly me!

Sometimes the best made plans go right out the window anyway, like with Misguided and I, thanks to Ike. I had every single detail planned about the ports we were supposed to go to, but it was thrill deciding what to do on the spot for once....;) I am one of those obsessive planning people, so when things change, I feel a little lost!

I prefer a lot of information in advance. I want to know what all of my options are and to be able to plan things so that I can see and do everything I want to do. But I'm also willing to go with the flow if things change unexpectedly due to circumstances beyond my control. I'm the type who makes all kinds of lists and charts, and wants to see the menus and capers beforehand. However, just because I've charted each day with all of the available options, that doesn't mean I have to do them; it's just that I like to know what they are. I don't ever want to miss something because I didn't know about it.

I do lots of research as far as what there is to do in each port & like to read reviews & learn what the ship has to offer as far as food venues etc. but I don't really want to see pictures of the ship....I want to be surprised. I also don't care about seeing the Capers (is that what Carnival calls them?) ahead of time...I would rather wait & see what is going on when I get there. I won't even look at the menu for the evening...I wait until I sit down & the waiter hands it to me :)

Happy Cruising~~

I do my homework in regards to the ports I'm visiting, my cabin location and type, and the general layout of the ship. Those are areas in which I don't want any surprises such as being stuck under the disco, not having an idea for an excursion if I want one, or find myself late to something I really want to do because I can't find the place the activity is on the ship! :)

As far as CD's, capers, menus, etc... that's something I'm very easily able to roll along with. I know I'll be fed; I won't go hungry. I don't know enough about or interact with the CD's to really care one way or the other, and I know I will ALWAYS be able to find something to do on the ship, even if it's just lie on the deck all day. :cool: The Capers can change for every cruise, so I don't really see the point in seeing them beforehand.

JMHO. :)

Archived