Does anybody else not want to know too much about their cruise?

lovebug33

I'm the same way, I like to be surprised. I want to walk into the ship and say wow, not say oh I saw this in the pictures. I'm so tempted to look at peoples pics in the reviews, I quickly run through them. I'm the same at Christmas, I don't snoop for gifts, not even as a kid, I don't even like to post a wish list lol

I like to review the deck plans, sort of get an idea where things are. I remember one year I was at a club in the back of the ship (however I thought it was the front), I needed to get to the kids club which was also at the back of the ship, I went all the way across the ship, up the stairs only to discover I was at the wrong end and had to go back across. I am trying this year to learn where areas are a little better.

I like to see the menus just to see a general idea of the offerings and what is available. I also like to see people suggestions of places to try. I have now heard mentioned the Mongolian Grill is on the Splendor - I however can't determine its location from the deck plans, but I would like to try it.

Shore Excursions I also like to do ahead time, however Carnival is messing that up by now showing them yet.

When I'm spending the thousands that it takes to get from Calgary to where ever and then the cost of the cruise, I want to make sure we get the most bang for our buck. Research has given me the best possible vacation and helped me avoid wandering aimlessly around wondering what can I do next.

i think its great to be prepared and informed but i agree with allowing the element of surprise to be there for vacation ( cruise or not) sometimes i think this board goves too much info so first time cruisers miss out on some of the newness and excitement of thier first cruise, and some people (i wont mention names DS ) become a "expert" after one cruise and hours of reading cruisecritic...lol...

When I first found this site I read everything and anything about everything and anything. Then, when Splendor finally made her maiden voyage I could hardly wait for the reviews to come in....then after I read a few of the reviews which were less than favorable (which I think mainly was due to this being the first official run) I decided I didn't want to read anymore. I didn't want to read about the pink...I didn't want to read about how this isn't perfect or that isn't just so, because it really brought me down. Brought me down because it hadn't occurred to me that pink could totally destroy someones vacation, or that a lackluster food presentation could really make one question whether Carnival was the cruise line to use.

I decided from then on, to only read about this and that (see? not everything and anything anymore) and about our destination and our excursion selections and stick to reading reviews of other peoples trips, not necessarily to read about the ship but their happy vacation.

So for me? Til I see Splendor I'm off reading about her. I hate to have my rose colored glasses broken before I board...because typically I'm like a golden retriever, happy and oblivious and just so dang happy to be there. Who would want to risk losing that? So for now, I have my Splendor blinders on, so she can hit me with everything she has when I board. *giddy clapping*

Has anyone noticed I'm almost to the 200 day mark??? Holy CATS! This time next week we'll be *under* 200 days!!! Factor Thanksgiving, Christmas and Valentines Day in there and look out, it will be just about time to pack!

Is that choirs of angels I hear singing? :D

I prefer a lot of information in advance. I want to know what all of my options are and to be able to plan things so that I can see and do everything I want to do. But I'm also willing to go with the flow if things change unexpectedly due to circumstances beyond my control. I'm the type who makes all kinds of lists and charts, and wants to see the menus and capers beforehand. However, just because I've charted each day with all of the available options, that doesn't mean I have to do them; it's just that I like to know what they are. I don't ever want to miss something because I didn't know about it.

Hi,

Just wanted to ask .....what is a Caper?? I keep seeing it mentioned and just not sure what I'm missing in the abbrev. is it short for an excursion?? Or something else entirely?? DH is the researcher for us, but I like knowing we have things planned. And I agree with you I don't want to miss anything because I wasn't in the "know" whether or not we do it is different, but at least we know it was an option....whatever "it" is. Thanks for sharing,

Donna ~~Sailing in 31 days!!!~~ :D

No matter how much you know about a place or ship there will always be surprises. I like to read up so I don't miss anything, as well as knowing things to avoid. There are always hidden gems no matter where you go, but sometimes it takes someone with experience to point them out.

Case in point: Our DD is much more excited when she sees something she recognizes and knows a little bit about, like seeing the Lincoln Memorial and knowing that it was on the back of a penny!

You'll have fun no matter what!

I'm the "TA" for my family. I love all of the advance preparation. I really enjoy looking things up over the months before a vacation. I found the cutest little 800-year old bell factory/hotel in the Cotswolds that way. My DH doesn't like knowing what's coming, though. He likes the surprise. So it works out perfectly for us. For this next cruise I'll ask my DH and daughters general questions about what kinds of excursions they might prefer in various ports, and then I'll make all the arrangments. To me, that's half the fun!

Hi,

Just wanted to ask .....what is a Caper?? I keep seeing it mentioned and just not sure what I'm missing in the abbrev. is it short for an excursion?? Or something else entirely?? DH is the researcher for us, but I like knowing we have things planned. And I agree with you I don't want to miss anything because I wasn't in the "know" whether or not we do it is different, but at least we know it was an option....whatever "it" is. Thanks for sharing,

Donna ~~Sailing in 31 days!!!~~ :D

The Capers is the daily newspaper listing the activities of the day, dining room attire etc.

I didn't discover Cruise Critic until I had already gone on five cruises. I enjoyed them all without knowing about all the chair hogs, improper attire in the dining room etc. I did know enough to check out deck plans for unfavorable cabin locations. :) I still like to check out floor plans and shore excursions for possibilities. But I don't like to have my whole trip scheduled, like the ability to change plans if necessary.

Some folks are just compulsive and need to know everything before they travel.... just let me know the basics and let the rest be a surprise when I get onboard and figure it out myself !:eek:

Sorry, I am one of those compulsive fools! I am printing off anything that I might want to refer to later....My binder is getting thick and I am using lots of tabs! I just want to know everything so I can make the best use of my time and money!:)

i ll start researching an iteniary atleast a yr in advance..

ship, ports of call, cabins ..all the way down to the menus..

by the time it s time to sail..it feels like i ve already been there..

im retired so i ve got the time..but, the wife go s crazy when i start

telling her about our next cruise when it s 6 mos. off..she s one who

would rather let me take care of all the detail s and then let her know the

night befor we sail or fly out..

Archived