it's cheaper to book 2 one way tickets than roundtrip...

bhpeters

If it's $100 cheaper (total) to book 2 one way plane tickets instead of a full roundtrip ticket, wouldn't it make sense to do that?

Am I missing something in that logic? Am I taking a risk somewhere that I won't get the flights? Seems to me I should save the $100...

Might not have been a sight glitch. The way airlines price anymore, you need to check everything. You are working on the incorrect assumption that there is some logic to the prices. If you asked fellow passengers what each paid, I would bet very few match. Sometimes you just get lucky and hit at the right time!

I try every way possible, looking at various web sites, the airline web sites, different venues to fly into, etc. to get the lowest fare, but it doesn't always work for me, either. Even looked at one way fares which typically are more expensive. :eek:

Might not have been a sight glitch. The way airlines price anymore, you need to check everything. You are working on the incorrect assumption that there is some logic to the prices. If you asked fellow passengers what each paid, I would bet very few match. Sometimes you just get lucky and hit at the right time!

I needed to book airline tickets to California a couple of years back. I happened to surf over to Travelocity during a slow time in the middle of the night at work. Believe it or not, I got a deal for roundtrip air for slightly more than $200 ... and direct flights too! This was when California was generally running $400+ from Philadelphia.

I happened to show this deal to the guy I was working with ... who frequently traveled to Los Angeles because he had family there. His response? "Holy S***! Grab that!" Fortunately I did. The next day it was back to over $400.

Could have been a glitch ... I don't know ... but I'm glad I jumped on it.

You have to keep on checking ... several times each day ... at different times during the day ... to get a good deal.

Blue skies ...

--rita

If it's $100 cheaper (total) to book 2 one way plane tickets instead of a full roundtrip ticket, wouldn't it make sense to do that?

Am I missing something in that logic? Am I taking a risk somewhere that I won't get the flights? Seems to me I should save the $100...

If the cheapest fare for your round-trip itinerary is using one-way fares, then the reservation system should do that automatically. There is no need to book separate one-way tickets. Likewise, if you're travelling from A to C with a connection in B and it's cheaper to price it with separate A to B and B to C fares, the reservations system should do that automatically as well (plus it will be all on one ticket with your status being that of a connecting passenger with all the rights that go with that).

When I say "should", it means a system I'm familiar with does do that. I have no idea if other systems do the same but I would expect so.

When my daughter booked our multi destination flights. she was playing around looking for deals. She looked up the flights and the total came up to less than the individual flights. She called her TA and she said to hurry up and book it. She did sure enough the next day the individual flights came up to the total of the two. Some times you just get lucky:)

Archived