Newbie perspective

cf_chuck

That is what makes CC so valuable....... cruisers should have few surprises when they board. This information is available if one looks for it. The cruise lines make no attempt, that I know of, to keep it a secret.

For a 'newbie' who does not research, they might have an unpleasant surprise or two. It comes back to "Do your homework".

You are so right about newbies not aware of the hidden costs

Those of us that cruise a lot take these costs for granted and avoid them whereas newbies could and do end up spending a lot more than they plan to.

Thank you for bringing the article to everyones attention

Ruth & Jim

I'm sure that many don't do their homework, and many TAs won't bother to have a meaningful discussion with their clients about this. So they get onboard and have a heart attack at the end of the cruise when they get their bill! :eek:

It always pays to be an informed consumer.

:) :) I agree that we should do our homework before we board then you should not get unpleasant surprises! Even knowing how extras can mount up they can get a little out of hand. To be fair though extras like the daily drink by the pool is not thrust upon you if you do not choose to have it. Nor is the fact you are being charged for it hidden from you, you sign for it. Excursions ashore can be expensive but you only take them if you feel they are the best way to spend the day rather than just going it alone.

It boils down to deciding if the cruise is worth the cost to you or not. Me I love cruising and while I try to keep the extras to a minimum I do not scrimp to the point that would take the enjoyment out of the cruise.:)

Many years ago on a different cruise line sailing, our dining companions were a young couple on a very delayed honeymoon that were cruise newbies. They only packed jeans, t-shirts, etc. Their TA did not inform them of a dress code nor the tipping policy. They were shocked to learn all of this the unfortunate way - sitting across the dining table from 2 other couples dressed in suits/dresses and they were in jeans. I blame the TA for that not the newbies. If you a true cruise virgin then you aren't even aware of the resources like CC to get a cruise education prior to sailing. Happy Sailing!

In this information age, I think it fair to say most people age 35 and under are computer literate. Do any of us do much without doing at least a little research on the internet for just about everything in our lives? (I don't mean to limit computer literacy to only those young 'us.)

We have a local restaurant, very casual, that DH and I enjoy. They have been closed for renovations for a few months and we started to worry they were not going to reopen. A quick search on the net showed me the new name this restaurant will have and included the new menu they will be serving.

Maybe they're too busy to take the time to do minimal research to avoid really nasty surprises???

That is NOT the cruise lines fault IMO

I'm amazed at how many people dont do any research on their vacation choice before booking it. I've read lots of times here about someone saying "I booked a cruise on HAL and just found out they <insert your favorite here> -cater to an older crowd, -are boring, -dont have a rock climbing wall -, etc.

I think some newbie cruisers look at price and itinerary and assume everything else is the same.

And to the point of the article, I still hear of many people's TA's telling them a cruise is an "all inclusive"

In the case of my story, it was over 10 years ago and I don't think the internet was as informative a tool as it is today. Also, if you think your TA has told you everything you need to know for your cruise, why would you think you needed to do research? A newbie would assume that if it was important the TA would have said something about it. And yes, they did mention that they TA told them it was all inclusive so they were shocked about the tipping policy. Happy Sailing!

From the article: 'Lose your towel on deck? That'll cost you $20 to replace.'

Not an issue on HAL I guess since the towels are stacked at the pools. On the Caribbean Princess there were towels in the cabin but nothing happened when you left it at the pool. Which line could they be talking about?

One of the things a friend who cruises on Carnival every year told me was not to lose my towel. Apparently the ships she's cruised on have signs that say if your towel is missing your credit card will be charged for that towel as they assume you are taking it home with you.

Prior to our first cruise I found Cruise Critic by doing a Google search. Since I figured this was going to be my only cruise (DH said he wouldn't like it) and we were spending a lot of money on this vacation, I wanted to know as much as possible. Cruise Critic was great!! This was before I had a laptop and I would sit at the desk reading on my monitor for hours.

But, had I read the cruise lines brochure from front to back - I would have known that cocktails were extra, everything was going to be charged to my sail card, alternative restaurants are extra, tips were automatic etc.etc. Thank goodness HAL doesn't charge for leaving your towel at the pool or I'd never be able to sail with teenagers again.

I feel sorry for the people who cruise and don't know that they will see a bill at the end of their cruise. We usually will have a hefty bill at the end of 7 days - I like to have a cocktail before or after dinner, maybe 1 or 2 laying around the pool, we like to order a bottle of wine at dinner, sometimes we bring one from our cabin and pay the corkage, dinner at the Pinnacle, pop card, coffee card, internet minutes, we book our own excursions - but I do shop on board the ship for items here and there. I'm happy to pay for these things because I'm on vacation and I've earned it!! We usually will send laundry out 1 or 2 times and don't mind paying for that - again, I don't go on vacation to do laundry - although this time we're in a suite so it's included.

Travel agencies get paid for selling cruises. Generally speaking, the agency ( not the agent) is paid at least 10 % of the base price of the cruise. The more information an agent/agency discloses, the more likely a consumer might hesitate.....counter-productive to making a sale.

One is unlikely to get the best service/advice in the same package as best price.

The worse job the TA does in sharing necessary info about the cruise, the less likely (s)he will sell another vacation to that customer or any of their friends and family.
Absolutely! How many folks have been blindsided by charges or other elements of a cruise that their TA should have covered with them? I know there are lots of great agents out there, but I fear many are mainly interested in closing this sale and moving on. Customer base is EVERYTHING to a travel agent. Seems taking some time with new, or relatively new, cruisers would pay big dividends in future bookings.

Archived