"Eleven Tourists Seized" in Egypt-BBC News

FinelyRetired

These people were way, way, off the beaten path! It's a shame but in this day and age, tourists need to stay with the crowds and not go trekking across the remote desert..

Actually two of the hostages are from the tour company, according to CNN, so they were not off on their own; it appears they were with their group.

We could see security up on the dunes surrounding us when we road through the desert on camels. That is a scary place. I am happy I was there and saw the awesome sights....but I would not go back quickly.

Here's the CNN link http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/africa/09/22/egypt.italians.kidnapped/index.html

Actually two of the hostages are from the tour company, according to CNN, so they were not off on their own; it appears they were with their group.

We could see security up on the dunes surrounding us when we road through the desert on camels. That is a scary place. I am happy I was there and saw the awesome sights....but I would not go back quickly.

Here's the CNN link http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/africa/09/22/egypt.italians.kidnapped/index.html

The poster said off the beaten bath not off on their own. This is not near the normal tourist sites. Its really is off the normal tourist path but it is very scary....and you can say the same thing about Miami where a number of tourist were killed because they made wrong turns and were in areas they shouldn't have been(Germans too BTW)...

I think most important to remember is that these people were way off the normal "tourist" areas....not that that makes it ok, it doesn't, but we all have a responsibility to make sure the areas we're touring are reasonably protected. We also have to avoid places where kidnapping is a career choice, not a crime. With respect to Miami, that was years ago and hasn't happened since car rental agencies stopped putting their logos on the bumper. I'm going to Egypt in Jan. and I'm not the least bit nervous about my safety in the Country.

No this was not really "way off the beaten path" just in the desert as many people even I have went on.

"it has become increasingly popular among adventure and eco-tourists" 'MSN'

Maybe most people would not go on a long trek, but many many people do.

I do wonder if the so called tour guides were involved in this, they are demanding a 6 million dollar ransom.

Since 2004, attacks on foreigners shifted to the beach resorts of the Sinai peninsula in northeastern Egypt, with a total of 121 people, including tourists, killed in a series of bombings. From the MSN story.

It is a shame that a country that could really really thrive on tourism, is ruined by these villains.

Germany TV is reporting the company involved as Aegyptus, a total of 19 persons are missing - 11 tourists and 8 Egyptians.

The attacked took place in the southwest corner of Egypt very close to the Libya and Sudan borders at a place called Gilf el Kebir.

Ron

Germany TV is reporting the company involved as Aegyptus, a total of 19 persons are missing - 11 tourists and 8 Egyptians.

The attacked took place in the southwest corner of Egypt very close to the Libya and Sudan borders at a place called Gilf el Kebir.

Ron

"There have been no known Islamic militant attacks in Egypt's Western Desert, where the Gilf al-Kabir is located."

I am sure the tourist felt safe do to that.

How sad, but a happy ending.

The poster said off the beaten bath not off on their own. This is not near the normal tourist sites. Its really is off the normal tourist path but it is very scary....and you can say the same thing about Miami where a number of tourist were killed because they made wrong turns and were in areas they shouldn't have been(Germans too BTW)...

That really wasn't necessary.

Every city has problems. BTW- I grew up in NYC - so when I say EVERY city has it's problems I know what I'm talking about.

That really wasn't necessary.

Every city has problems. BTW- I grew up in NYC - so when I say EVERY city has it's problems I know what I'm talking about.

why not? it was an example of what problems there are not just in Egypt.It was aimed at Florida but as an example, I also posted one about Rome. Egypt is NOT a dangerous place for most tourists. NY isn't particularly dangerous and its much safer now than it has been in decades(last year there were 460 murders in NY City down from a high of over 3000 per year....a major difference but they do happen.

Archived