Passport Requirement

jschafer6161

You don't need the passport for sailing, however, if you had an emergency in a foreign port- it was be really hard for you to fly home..... just a thought. I would go ahead and get the passport and then you are safe. Have a great cruise!!!!

I'm with the rest, go ahead and get the passport - never know when you will need it.

On a related note: My DD had to get a new passport as her old one was issued when she was 16. We had to do the entire application again. Took it to the post office, paid standard processing. It was sent from Dallas area, came back from South Carolina. THE NEW PASSPORT ARRIVED EXACTLY 1 WEEK AND 1 DAY AFTER IT WAS SENT OFF!

I hadn't even gotten to the point of thinking we should check on it's status - they have their act together now.

Di

A passport is always a good idea, however, the rule taking effect on June 1 2009 DOES NOT require a passport for US citizens cruising round trip from a US port (which includes San Juan).

The link above is correct, and eventually clicks through to this:

Cruise Passengers

U.S. and Canadian citizens arriving on cruises from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of identity and citizenship, such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. View complete list of acceptable documents at CBP.gov.

Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport when you dock at a foreign port, depending on the islands or countries that your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruiseline to ensure you have the appropriate documents for the stops you’ll be making on your cruise.

What finally prompted me to get my passport was what happened to me in April 07 sailing out of New Orleans. My flight from Buffalo, NY was delayed, causing me to miss my connection in Atlanta (I believe). In ATL, they got me on the last flight going to New Orleans that day and fortunately I was onboard the ship at 3:30...Too close for my comfort. Here's where I got really panicked though. I had trip insurance that would have helped me get to the first port if I missed the ship, but that first port was in Mexico. Without my passport, I was told I would not be able to fly into Mexico, and long story short, my whole cruise would have gone down the drain because all ports required passports to fly to. Two lessons I learned...1) GET PASSPORT, and 2) ALWAYS fly in atleast one day early!

Passports expedite the process.. The link above for the state department should help as this from carnival

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/EMB_travel_document.aspx

CRUISE TRAVEL

U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port must show proof of citizenship (such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate) and a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license). Effective June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in different U.S. ports, or begin or end in a foreign port, must have a passport or other recognized document. For a complete list of accepted documents, see www.travel.state.gov.

U.S. Alien Residents need a valid Alien Resident Card. Canadian citizens must present a valid passport. Non-U.S. citizens need a valid passport and a valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa, if applicable.

AIR TRAVEL

Passports are required for air travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, The Bahamas and Bermuda. This will impact all guests traveling by air to embark or debark in Vancouver for our Alaska or Hawaii cruises; and our Canadian guests that travel by air to or from any of our U.S. embarkation ports. This will also enable guests to fly from the U.S. to meet their ship at the first port should they miss their scheduled embarkation and allow guests that must debark the ship before their cruise ends to fly back to the U.S without significant delays and complications.

Carnival recommends that all guests travel with a passport valid for at least 6 months beyond the completion of travel. For more information or to obtain a passport application, visit www.travel.state.gov. Passport Services (www.passportservices.com/carnival) can also provide application assistance.

Guest names on travel documents (passport, Alien Resident Card, birth certificate, etc.) must be identical to those on the cruise and airline tickets. Otherwise, proof of name change (e.g., a marriage license) or a valid driver's license (or other government-issued photo ID) must be presented

As of right now, it does take effect June 2009. But, they have changed the effective date several times. If you are going to cruise often, it is better to go ahead and get your passport. You will have to have it eventually.

There is no policy that takes effect in June of 2009 that pertains to cruisers. US citizens on closed loop cruises out of US ports do not now, nor will they in June be required to have passports.

You will not need a passport to cruise at any time in the foreseeable future as long as you cruise out of US ports.

Archived