Underwater housing for Canon SD1100

Katiekakes

I just ordered an underwater housing for my Canon SD100. Has anyone used this? It was expensive and I am hoping it works well. I haven't received it yet, and also am hoping it isn't too bulky.

Hi,

I don't have this one but I do have another Canon model and have the enclosure for it. Assuming you have the Canon one, they aren't that bulky but I have, over time, found a few things you should consider before using it.

1) Buy some small Silicon Desiccant packs for underwater enclosures. You can do a google search and find quite a number of vendors that sell them, brand doesn't really matter much. Put a pack in your enclosure, might take some manuvering since the enclosures are pretty tight to the camera and don't block the lens. This will eliminate fogging inside the enclosure as the camera heats up from use and the water becomes cooler at depth (replace after each dive/snorkel session).

2) Get some RainX and go over the "outside" of the glass lens of the enclosure if you want to take those cool over/under shots since it really reduces water droplets on your lens. I have to reapply it after about every 5 dive sessions.

3) Get another rubber gasket immediately. Nothing worst than pulling off your gasket to clean it than to have it break just before you get in the water. Also clean it, and the sealing grove on the enclosure EACH time before you close your case. A leak will ruin your day!

4) Don't use the internal flash, even with the defusser in place unless the water is crystal clear. The flashes on Canons are too close to the lens and you'll end up with backscatter spots all over your pictures.

5) If you don't use a strobe, which is something you might do some time in the future, use the default underwater scene mode if your camera has one. It adds red to reduce the blue in your pictures and is geared for 15ft. or less under water. More than 15ft. you have to play with your settings.

I've been using canon's with enclosures for years and have had them in 36 degree water to 85 degree water and snorkel depth to 135ft. and I've never had a leak (I always am diligent about maintaining my enclosure) and the pictures have always come out great, dispite my picture taking capabilities. :D

Randall

I have the SD1000 and the canon housing and I like it. It's easy to use and pretty compact. I did have a problem with it on my first trip - it fogged in between the two layers of glass covering the lens. This was a bummer because it happened on the first day of diving and the pictures from the rest of the week were bad because of it. I bought it on Amazon and they replaced it, no questions asked, when I returned from the trip.

Thank you for all your helpful information. Are silicon desiccant packs those little white packs with crystals in them that come, for instance, in shoe boxes and other packing materials? Would that work just to stick one of those inside the housing? How often do you replace those packs?

Thank you for all your helpful information. Are silicon desiccant packs those little white packs with crystals in them that come, for instance, in shoe boxes and other packing materials? Would that work just to stick one of those inside the housing? How often do you replace those packs?

Hi,

Yep, same ones. But they do absorb moisture and then aren't effective. If you have some, you probably have to put your oven on low and put them on a cookie sheet for an hour or so to "bake out" the mositure then immediately put them into a ziplock bag so they don't start absorbing moisture from the air. I have some that actually change color as they absorb moisture so you know when they're no longer effective. I got them at www.preservesmart.com and they sell for as little as 50 for $13.

r

Scubaran,

Where did you get the extra rubber gasket? Nobody locally (south florida) seesms to carry it. Only place seemed to be thru Canon and they are pretty expensive (with their handing charge).

Sorry to say I had to order it through Canon. It wasn't an easy process either. I eventually called their service department who got me in contact with their parts department. I think mine was around $10. But considering the alternative, you know if they're going to break it's while you're in the Caribbean, I went and purchased another one for my kit.

Randall

• 2 weeks later...

Here is another little trick I learned about underwater camera housings. Put a piece of Alka-Seltzer in the housing before your seal it. If your housing leaks due to a bad o-ring , the Alka-Seltzer will contact the water and fizz. This will create a positive pressure in the housing and prevent further leaks until you can safely get to the surface.

Here is another little trick I learned about underwater camera housings. Put a piece of Alka-Seltzer in the housing before your seal it. If your housing leaks due to a bad o-ring , the Alka-Seltzer will contact the water and fizz. This will create a positive pressure in the housing and prevent further leaks until you can safely get to the surface.

Hummmm...... Interesting. But how do you clean the salt (alka part of Alka-Seltzer) out of your camera if you have a leak? Seems the fizzing action would put it into the cracks and crevases of your camera (including where the memory card goes). If your diving, I guess if you saw water in your case you could free flow your octo. to keep a layer of air around your case as you safely surfaced.... 'Course I believe in throughly cleaning my case before/after every dive and I leak test in the sink before I leave the ship (fresh water isn't as damaging). Knock on wood, hundreds of dives up to 135ft underwater and narry a drop. :p

Randall

Scubaran,

Where did you get the extra rubber gasket? Nobody locally (south florida) seesms to carry it. Only place seemed to be thru Canon and they are pretty expensive (with their handing charge).

Relatively so, but I order more than 1 at a time and anything else I think I might need. I don't want to take a chance with an alternative.

Another reason for ordering a few at a time is that sometimes they might be out of stock at the exact moment you want/need one. Sooner or later, your camera and eventually the case and finally the parts will be out of stock, so yet another reason to have more than 1 spare.

I never tried RainX becuase it says not to use on plastic without trying it somewhere safe first. At least now I feel a little more comfortable about trying it. They do have disposable RainX wipes available which I may try on my next outing.

We have the housing for a different Cannon model and found it works really well. One tip we learned was be sure to put your camera in the housing while you're still on the ship (in the A/C). Once out in the humidity of the Caribbean, if we took the camera out and attempted to seal it back in the housing the humidity caused much fogging that we couldn't combat.

I never tried RainX becuase it says not to use on plastic without trying it somewhere safe first. At least now I feel a little more comfortable about trying it. They do have disposable RainX wipes available which I may try on my next outing.

I use rainx on the "glass" lens cover only (the canon enclosures I've seen have "photographic quality" glass covers where the lens inserts. The rest of the plastic case doesn't need it since if it fogs it doesn't affect the pictures (though I have to admit I use it on the back where the LCD is so I can see my pictures without having water droplets all over the viewing area). As far as paddleaddict closing up the case on the ship. Good ideal or use the silicon dessicants in the enclosure (what I do) to minimize moisture in the case.

Randall

• 5 weeks later...

Just one piece of advice -- test the housing in a bathtub full of water before leaving on your trip.

We bought a housing for a small Olympus camera, and neglected to test it first. It leaked, ruined the camera, caused frosty relations between husband and wife for part of our cruise.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Archived