Debating on which coat to take

I would really like advise from those of you who have been to Europe (Italy, Croatia) in the beginning of Oct. I leave on the 2nd for almost 3 weeks and I am trying to decide if I should bring a 3/4 length light wool jacket or a London Fog type rain coat. I am taking a sweater and plan on packing everything from short sleeve blouses to long sleeve, so this is one of my last decisions.

Thanks for the help.

This won't likely help you much, since I haven't been to Europe in the Fall before, but for what it is worth, I am going with the London Fog type raincoat with a hood for the first two weeks of October. I am more concerned about possible rain than I am about really cold temps. I am also taking a fleece sweater/jacket that I can wear under the raincoat if it is cold and wet :( .

I will be watching to see what others recommend. Have a great trip!

Bonnie

Last year we did a Transatlantic cruise Oct. 28th out of Rome. I brought entirely too much cold weather gear.

The only port we needed a light rainjacket was Livorno, it rained a little but wasn't really cold.

It was hot in Rome, hot in Spain, hot in Portugal. I would bring a very light rainjacket and skip something wool altogether.

I would really like advise from those of you who have been to Europe (Italy, Croatia) in the beginning of Oct. I leave on the 2nd for almost 3 weeks and I am trying to decide if I should bring a 3/4 length light wool jacket or a London Fog type rain coat. I am taking a sweater and plan on packing everything from short sleeve blouses to long sleeve, so this is one of my last decisions.

Thanks for the help.

Trenchcoat with a zip out liner.When I have been in Italy in Oct I didn't need anything,but who knows today re the weather!!

Thanks for the help.

When we cruised to this area it was HOT,HOT,HOT and dry. Our cruise was the last week of Oct. to the first week in Nov.. So, bring a light weight water resistant jacket just in case of foul weather.

I also would choose the London Fog.

We were there the very end of Nov/ early Dec. and only wore our coats at night while in Rome precruise and in Barcelona post cruise. Mostly wore my sweater and even then I sometimes carried it.

But ya' never know ;)

I feel the cold, however when I was in Rome+Florence+Naples in mid Nov2006 I didn't wear a jacket most of the time, whilst Italians all around me wore what I considered to be winter jackets. I suppose it's what you're used to. And I was lucky enough to not see any Italian rain.

So if I go in Autumn again, I'll again be taking a light rain/jacket.

We always take our 'raincoat/london fog'. Layering is good and they are excellent pickpocket deterents. It's tougher to get into if you keep your $$ underneath. The thieves are looking for easy targets not tough ones.

Thank you for the information, I will be taking the raincoat. I do get cold easily, but it does sound like I should be more concerned with possible rain than lower temperatures. We will be out in the evening during the trip but again I can layer the sweater under the coat and actually this coat does a fairly good job of keeping the warmth in. With luck I will not need a coat much during the trip and we will have beautiful weather, but of course no one can predict that. Thank you for the well wishes, we are very excited.

Archived