Tampa car rental info

momma5

We just returned from a Tampa departure so I thought I'd post what we did, hopefully it will help others out there! We really enjoyed our stay!

We flew into Tampa two days before our cruise, rented a car from Dollar Rental Car in the airport (use the promo code OCVB) we got great rates! We drove to Clear Water Beach (only 20-25 minute drive) and stayed at the Econolodge on the beach (great for a short stay-can't beat the price). Had two days of great food and a great beach. We went down to the public beach for a day and it was wonderful! (We had 3 kids with us so we bought some cheap beach toys at the Walgreens across from the hotel to use on the beach at Clearwater and even took them onboard the cruise, we used them when we visited the beaches at the ports of call.)

The morning of the cruise, we left the hotel a few minutes before 11 AM, drove back to the Dollar rental place in the Tampa airport and they shuttled us (no charge) to the pier. We were dropped off right in front of the entrance doors-didn't have to walk at all. The luggage people for the ship were right there to take our luggage. All this only took a little over an hour.

Dollar even picked us up when we returned from the cruise (no charge) and brought us back to the airport for our return flight.

Hope this helps someone! I would highly recommend going a couple days early and enjoying Clear Water Beach for a couple of days-it was a great start to the trip. And Dollar really made the transportation easy and stress free.

We are sailing out of Tampa on the Legend on Nov.2nd. We are flying in a day early and have already secured our car with Dollar. We were thinking of staying in Clearwater also. I will check out the Econolodge there. We are looking for something cheap in price yet clean. Thanks so much for your mini review. it definately helps with planning.

Momma5, Did you make arrangements with Dollar to pick you up on your returrn or do they have a shuttle bus waiting for customers at the port?

We are looking for a car rental post cruise for 1 day and not sure if we need to book in advance an ask to be picked up at the pier or just grap a shuttle bus to a rental office as we get off the boat.

Thanks in advance.

You should call in advance to set it up. We told them when we picked up the cars we would need a shuttle and they told us to call in the morning so they could be sure to have the shuttles ready for us. They picked us up after the cruise too, but we didn't have to call again since we set that up before we left-they were there waiting we we disembarked.

Since you're renting post cruise, make sure you call before you leave for your cruise to arrange for them to be there to pick you up.

Have a great trip!!

I forgot to post this in my last reply, but if you're flying into Tampa and renting a car from Dollar post cruise- call and check but I'm pretty sure they'll shuttle you to the port and pick you up

Call ahead and see what they say

We are sailing out of Tampa on the Legend on Nov.2nd. We are flying in a day early and have already secured our car with Dollar. We were thinking of staying in Clearwater also. I will check out the Econolodge there. We are looking for something cheap in price yet clean. Thanks so much for your mini review. it definately helps with planning.

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF ALAMO DOES THE SAME THING?

Archived