Ship Time vs. Port Time

crusinpeg

Is the time noted on the itinerary port time or ship time?

Example for Costa Rica..my itinerary states 6:30 to 6:00

And I have an independant tour booked for 8:00 port time.

I think Costa Rica is a one hour difference, but I'm not sure which way.

So what time ship time do I need to meet my tour?

Princess usuallu adjusts the ships clocks to agree with local time. There will be an announcement in the princess patter the day before the change. I believe Costa Rica is one hour behind Eastern Standard Time. I am not sure if they have daylight savings time, so it could be 2 hours in the summer.

Is the time noted on the itinerary port time or ship time?

Example for Costa Rica..my itinerary states 6:30 to 6:00

And I have an independant tour booked for 8:00 port time.

I think Costa Rica is a one hour difference, but I'm not sure which way.

So what time ship time do I need to meet my tour?

It has been my experience that published itinerary times are in local time for the port. You should arrive in Limon, Costa Rica, at 6:30 AM local time.

Ship's time may or may not be different from local time. The majority of your cruise will take place in the eastern time zone (Limon in Central & Aruba in whatever east if eastern is). If ship's time matches eastern throughout the cruise, ship's time will be 1 hour ahead of local time in Limon.

I can't answer your last question without knowing if ship's time on Coral is changed to match local time during the cruise.

Enjoy!

On every Princess cruise I've taken, the ship has adjusted it's time to the local time zone. If the ship is getting into port at 6:30AM, that means it'll be 6:30AM local time. I have heard of some itineraries where the ship's time didn't change but it's not the norm.

I have an independant tour booked for 8:00 port time.

We've generally found that good independent tour operators know which ships operate on port time and which operate on ship time. We've always gotten a "heads-up" from the tour operator when there's a difference.

On my cruise last March, the Mexican Riviera, I think we had to change our clocks three times both going down to Acapulco and then coming back up to San Diego. However Acapulco was our first port it really didn't matter what time it was as we were out in the middle (sort of) of a big ocean on a big boat having a good time!!

It has been my experience that published itinerary times are in local time for the port. You should arrive in Limon, Costa Rica, at 6:30 AM local time.

Itineraries are always ship's time. Whether the ship changes to local time depends on the cruise line policies.

I found on both of my Carnival cruises, they ship stayed on eastern time the whole way. One was to eastern Canada, which is one hour ahead of eastern, and the other was to Panama Canal, which I can't remember the various time zones we were in. All that mattered was the ship sailed at 5 ship's time, and they warned us in the newsletter to ignore the local clocks.

On Princess to the eastern Caribbean, the ship moves ahead an hour to match local time (in the winter anyway). In the Mexican Riviera, the ship moved ahead an hour, which matched local time in Cabo and Mazatlan, but was still an hour behind Puerta Vallarta.

Archived