Advice please

Chloebags

We are booking then throu Carnival since this is our first time on a cruise we decided to go with the ships own ones this time, but after speaking to some people we have been told to book them independantly.

Can anyone help me with who I should speak to for these trips we would like to take, and therefore save some money?

We are looking at week 1

Caymen

Discover Caymen - Stingrays, Hell and Turtle Farm

Rotan Island

Pirates, Brids and Monkeys

Belize

Radiers of the Lost Mayan Cave

Cozomel Mexico

Isla Pasion by Twister

Week 2

St Thomas

Downtown shopping & Magen's Bay Getaway

St Martin

Lagoon Kayaking Adventure

Chloebags I hope you love your first cruise and become an addicted cruiser like me.

Also welcome to Cruise Critics. A wonderful way to share your passion. If you go to the threads for Ports of Call and go post your question on each of the individual ports you will get a much better response. You can also read about CCers' experiences with independent tour guides.

good luck, have fun and again WELCOME.

You could certainly save money by booking excursions privately, but since you are a 1st time cruiser I'm not sure that is the best way to go.

One of the biggest risks when going ashore in any port is that you won't make it back to the ship in time. If you are on a private excursion and this happens then you will absolutely be left behind. If you're on a Carnival excursion and it runs late the ship will wait on you.

Two ports to be particularly careful about are Grand Cayman and Belize. These are both tender ports (meaning you have to get to the island via a smaller ferry boat). The problem with Grand Cayman is that you will probably be one of many ships in port and the tender dock can be very crowded and take a lot of time to get through. Plus the traffic in Grand Cayman is terrible and can cause even bigger delays in even getting back to the tender dock.

In Belize the tender ride is about 15 minutes in duration and if you don't make the last tender back to the ship then you're out of luck.

I would suggest that you visit both your roll call thread and see if you can hook up with other more experienced cruisers for independant excursions and/or visit the Ports of Call board to research various excursion options and what issues people have encountered.

Good Luck with your planning and congratulations on your 1st cruise.

Thank you very much for your advice.

I was firstly happy with just going with the ship excursions, but you know what it is like when someone puts doubts in your head you start to second guess.

I will put a note on my roll call page and see if we can maybe hook up with them and cut the cost.

Thank you again for your help and advice.

Cheers

A

Visit the "Destinations" Board here for recommendations & Experiences with independent operators at each port. Ask operators if you can pay when you arrive, or preferably after tour completed. Ask operators what happens when the ship is late, changes days, or can't make the port. Be aware that Carnival says they will hold the ship if you're late on a Carnival tour, but not if you book independently. Ken

Like another poster said, to get the most specific information go to the Roll Call's and Ports of Call. Odds are if you do a search in the Ports of Call you will find the excursions that you want to do.

As far as St Thomas Downtown shopping & Magen's Bay Getaway goes, there are taxis right at the port that you can take which goes to Magen's Bay (about $9 to go there and $4 to enter), on the way back you can go downtown ($5) than a back to the ship ($4). The price will vary a dollar depending on which port you're at.

-Mark

dolphin1313 is right about St.thomas. Don't book a Megans bay and shopping tour. Taxis will get you there and shopping much cheaper. I would also like to suggest that maybe you take a ship tour or private tour to Trunk Bay on St. Johns from St. thomas. Megans bay is beautiful...but Trunk Bay...wow....

In Grand Cayman, I would like to suggest Nativeways excursion of Reef Rays and Rum Point. It includes, snorkeling, swimming with stingrays in waist deep water, and lunch and beach time at Rum Point. the best excursion that I have ever taken in 18 cruises! Go to the ports of call boards and read more on this!

Have a great time!

Archived