Opinions needed for July 2009 vacation

cruznbelle

HELP! I’m stuck in analysis/paralysis and hope some of the veterans on this board can help me out. We are going on our 2nd cruise to Alaska July 2009 to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We’ll doing a NB on RCCL out of Vancouver. Last time we did the Island Princess NB which my DH says was the best vacation he has ever had. For good or bad (I’m not much a believer in repeats) he wants to do the cruise portion identical to last time in terms of excursions:

Day 1-2 Fly in early to Vancouver – open itinerary here – we did Victoria Island via floatplane last time. Thought we might check out the suspension bridge, Stanley Park. Thinking about the Pan Pacific hotel but not sure I want to allocate that much funds here.

Day 3/4 Leave Vancouver, Cruise Inside passage.

Day 5 Ketchikan – Misty Fjords w/ Island Wings – wonderful excursion

Day 6 Juneau – Pilot’s Choice Helicopter Glacier Tour

Day 7 Skagway – We disagree here – we did the summit train/ Liarsville last time. DH wants to do the same again. I want to consider Train/Bus to Emerald Lake. Liarsville is skipable in my opinion. Thought about a car but the train is just wonderful.

Day 8 Icy Strait – new port – thought we’d do the zip line / ATV tour, walk around.

Day 9/10 Cruise, arrive Seward

This is where it gets difficult for me. Last time we did the train from Whittier to Anchorage, picked up a rental car and drove to Talkeetna. There we did the summit flight over Mt McKinley which was absolutely breathtaking – definitely one of the top 20 things we’ve ever done and I recommend it to anyone. Stayed at the Talkeetna lodge and then drove back to Anchorage and stayed at the Captain Cook hotel and flew home.

This time I want a longer land portion but neither DH nor I want to drive. It simply holds no draw for us but I really don’t think a structured land tour would suit us. DH says we can skip Talkeetna as a been there – done that. Soooo this is what I was contemplating:

Day 10 Seward – 6 hr Kenai Fjords tour – leaning towards Major Marine – overnight ??

Day 11 Seward to Anc on 6pm train. Do Sealife Center, Exit Glacier, enjoy town – overnight ANC ??

Day 12 Fly to Fairbanks midday. Do Arctic Circle Tour – overnight ?? Wondering if we need a car here.

Day 13 Enjoy Fairbanks – seems like Sternwheeler / gold mine is popular?

Day 14 8am Train to Denali, arrive noon, overnight McKinley Chalet or Princess?, check out area.

Day 15 Kantishna Drive/Fly w/ Denali Back Country Adventures – REALLY unsure about this. We’ve already seen tons of wildlife in Canada driving around Banff and Lake Louise area – no bear though. Other thoughts are flight seeing to see the park and/or do a jeep tour outside boundaries. Perhaps midnight golf?

Day 16 Noon Train to Anchorage arrive 8pm – overnight ??

Day 17/18 fly home space available status which is an adventure in itself. Biggest issue for us is luggage. I wouldn’t mind figuring a way to ship home my cruise clothes on Day 12, although I’ve learned to pack mostly casual and mostly light. It’s those darn formal nights that I love so much.

A couple of items that would help to know about us.. we are early 50’s. DH is a pilot so naturally LOVES anything airplane or airport related. He is also NOT an outdoor person (unless you count golf :rolleyes: ) and has no desire to kayak, fish, hike, etc, but appreciates beautiful scenery – definitely a soft adventure type person who’s idea of roughing it is the Hyatt. At the end of the day we simply want to relax, have good food, a nice comfy room, and a couple cocktails… (Perfect cruise people huh?). So the long bus trip to Kantishna is a concern – unless it’s dazzling scenery, spending 6 hrs on a bus to see a Moose/Bear/Dahl Sheep thru binocs is just not that big a draw. But everyone seems so smitten with Denali, I’m so confused as to what I can expect or what I should plan. Also complicating things is he unfortunately is a smoker (please no commentary – he does not litter, is respectful of non-smokers and doesn’t smoke in the room unless it’s specifically a smoking room which in Alaska is not easy to find)– so the train to Anc (goldservice) and bus to Kantishna has me worried. Obviously he is fine for 3-4 hrs at a stretch but the last thing I want is a grumpy DH. Advice from other smokers would be welcome. Me - I’m a photography nut and am happy doing about anything except driving. What do you think?... with flying / train travel as a primary source of transportation, am I overlooking something? I'm really feeling challenged here.

Thanks in advance!

In Skagway, I would definately expand and not repeat a summit train and Liarsville. You likely have a long port day, enough time for your Emerald Lake interest. Split up if you are both set on your interests, would be my solution? (I just don't do stuff, I'm not interested in and ALWAYS do what I am :) )

Yes you can easily travel by train in Alaska, it just takes more time, which you have basically allowed. As for Fairbanks, a car is necessary in my opinion, (there is WAY more to consider than the boat and dredge tours) and it isn't doable for an Arctic Circle "tour" with a mid day arrival, UNLESS you are only looking at a round trip flightseeing?? Otherwise these are about 12 hour tours with the fly/shuttle, and longer for the round trip bus- which I never recommend.

Denali Park doesn't sound like it's for you?? You have many negatives in your post about it, that has accuracy. Why not consider a fly in for brown bear watching- of coastal bears instead??

I'm sure you are aware that Anchorage has extremely high load factors, over 95% in season, IF you have to get home, you may want to factor in nonrev an additional day over your current, since interline really is not a choice here. Depending on the airline of employment, you may only have 2 flights/day?

I can't help with your itinerary, but check out USPS flat-rate boxes for shipping home some of your stuff.

As for DH's smoking, we too smoke and ALWAYS have Nicorette with us, in case of emergency :) We can, if necessary, manage most of a day using it. Note that there are VERY few "smoking" hotel rooms available in Vancouver. This spring, this is what I found: Pan Pacific had one floor that was all smoking rooms, Empire Landmark had some, and Century Plaza had some as well. Without a doubt, the Pan Pacific is the nicest of the three, actually IMHO the nicest hotel in Vcr, with a great location and wonderful views. Empire Landmark (for the dates we needed in May, shoulder season) was about $150/night, as was the Century Plaza. The Pan Pacific was about $300/night. We chose a cheaper hotel, and it was okay, not fabulous. There's a hotel tax and a provincial sales tax on top of the rates quoted.

Budget Queen - not only do you give good advice but you have read my mind. I've been actually toying with the idea of doing the flying in for bear watching as we've not seen anything like that before. Still, I struggle with the idea of not going to Denali. You've got me thinking though... I would love to go heli-hiking in Denali or a remote lodge as long as it's not strenuous. DH said he wouldn't go snorkling on the Great Barrier Reef either.. but I went ahead and booked an excursion for two anyway and told him it was his choice but I was going... you can guess the rest ;) sooo.... I might just have to choose wisely and do the same thing again... Perhaps I should reconsider Talkeetna as a base instead of Denali since we'll have the option of Denali and flights to the coast..

In terms of the Artic Circle, I was just considering flying in/out on the midnight run. I need to do more research on Fairbanks. I usually try to alternate a heavy touring day followed by a slower paced day when traveling if possible. I will definitely plan on a car there.

And you are correct... the load factor is very tight. Non-rev travel is not what it used to be and cargo is always an issue now making it even more dicey at times. So it's a necessity for me to get down to a roll-aboard. It might not be worth the hassle :o

Thanks again for getting me thinking...

CowPrincess - very interesting name BTW.. I have no idea what it means but my grandfather raised Black Angus and your name evokes many memories - :D

Thanks for the info on Pan Pacific! We stayed at the Hyatt last time using Price Line which was okay, but I'm thinking the Pan Pacific for our anniversary - the fact that they have smoking rooms makes it even better. Nicorette is a good idea... for Australia DH got some kind of inhaler for the plane ride... really only used it twice.. but I think it just made him more comfortable knowing he had it if needed.

I didn't know the USPS has flat rate boxes. My suitcase is rather large though... I'd want to send home the whole thing and just live out of a roll-aboard for the land portion if possible. I'll have to check it out...

Thanks for the info!

May I suggest you contact "Off the Beaten Path" and have them design a wonderful post trip for you. They will make all arrangements/hotels etc. and it will be the trip of a life time. We know we did a custom tour of Alaska with them.

Hmmm.....now thats a thought. Seems like someone would have promoted it before now. Put a UPS office in the airport, and ship all your luggage home, before you leave, except for necessities. Sure would save a lot of hassle, and with airlines charging to handle your bags, wouldn't you rather UPS handle them, yeah, like right to your front door. Interesting........

There is a post office at the Anchorage airport, but by that time you don't need it...or do you?

I'm packing now for my first big trip since all the new fees went in. Usually I am a one bag girl and mostly carry on at that, but I have a serious climate change to deal with and a business meeting. Stuff is going in the bag and then coming back out again.

I'm thinking I'll wear the same business clothes for most of the business meeting and take mostly clothing for my vacation.

I'll get the packing done and not pay extra fees, but travel isn't as much fun as it used to be.

In Vancouver there is no question that the PP and Fairmont's Waterfront are 1,2 or 2,1. However you may care to look at the Hyatt Regency where we have seen some <$150 rates this year or perhaps the Terminal City Club's Tower Hotel, the Le Soleil, the Wedgewood or the Sutton Place.

Putterdude, the OP's husband smokes, and I don't think Wedgewood, Sutton Place, Soleil and Fairmont can accommodate smokers.... we had a difficult time finding smoking accom in Vcr. Of course, ALL the hotels you mention are lovely :D

Well you caught me flat footed on this so I have phoned the hotels directly...Wedgewood is non-smoking but permits smoking on its balconies, Sutton Place in completely non-smoking, LeSoleil has 2 smoking rooms and the Fairmont Waterfront has smoking rooms. So it must have been a matter that the smoking rooms were booked when you were making reservations.

the Fairmont Waterfront has smoking rooms

WOWWWWW!!!!! Around here there's been all kinds of advertising about Fairmont Hotels as being 100% smoke free chain-wide. So I didn't even try the Fairmonts (of course, I'd probably not have paid the price for them anyway :) )

I actually called 1-800-HELLOBC to gather most of my info, then went to various websites. Our neighbours recommended Wedgewood, but given the "non smoking" aspect we didn't even consider it. If we'd known about the balconies we may have!

Just a couple of thoughts-

If your DH is a pilot and you decide to go to Denali, check out Kantishna Air. They have living accommodations (not fancy except the outside) but it is generally NOTHING BUT PILOTS. And the flight from Kantishna STRAIGHT into the North Face of Denali is simply spectacular. Your DH will want to fly the plane.

http://www.katair.com/

Bear viewing for a couple of days (or even a day trip) would probably suit you more than spending time in Denali looking for bears. If you need further info, please post. I think I have taken most of the bear viewing trips in Alaska, so have some opinions.

JMHO, but Fairbanks is a waste. A trip to Prudhoe is a whole 'nother ballgame. Fly one way on one of the "mail run" planes, then take a two day road trip back to Fairbanks.

Just a few different ways to look at it.

There is a post office at the Anchorage airport, but by that time you don't need it...or do you?

I'm packing now for my first big trip since all the new fees went in. Usually I am a one bag girl and mostly carry on at that, but I have a serious climate change to deal with and a business meeting. Stuff is going in the bag and then coming back out again.

I'm thinking I'll wear the same business clothes for most of the business meeting and take mostly clothing for my vacation.

I'll get the packing done and not pay extra fees, but travel isn't as much fun as it used to be.

Don't you get "free" luggage via your elite status????

Ship the stuff via the Post Office by the airport. They still have General Delivery % of the post office if you don't have an address to send the stuff to. Priority Mail out of Anchorage is running about 4 days to Kansas City, 3 to Arizona.

You are so correct about travel not being much fun anymore. Next week, Missouri/NYC/South America-lots of planes, lots of airports. AA is even making me get on a plane from JFK to MIA, THEN change to the LAN flight to SCL. Wouldn't put me on the LAN nonstop out of JFK unless I was willing to pay an $800.00 price difference on the codeshare to Lima. No way-my time isn't THAT valuable.

Hey thanks everyone on the shipping info. We'll check out shipping at ANC airport at the postoffice. I don't know why... I always go to the UPS store at home - probably because our post offices are inconvenient to get to and there is a UPS store practically in every strip shopping center.

Thank you for your reply. I'm definitely adding a bear viewing trip, probably from ANC. Looking at Rust's Flying service going to Redoubt Bay. I'm worried the Katmai trip might be a bit long for DH and I kinda like the idea of viewing from the boat vs a platform... any info here would be appreciated.

I looked at the Kantishna Air... and the skyline lodge... but there doesn't seemed to be much to do there other than hike which would not work for DH (he has arthitis which comes and goes unpredictably but once it flares, it stays around for days and days). The flightseeing from there looks to be based on 3-4 people mins other than the fly-in/out.

I really would like to do a Denali w/ a glacier landing, so I'm still debating on whether to just do a flight w/ landing or the bus in/fly out w/ katair. It's so hard to determine exactly what to expect with the bus portion.

Thanks again

Archived