1 NWA flight....

We are on a non-stop NWA flight out of MEM to MIA for our cruise next month. It is the ONLY NWA flight out that day. A few folks have told us that NWA is notorius for canceling flights at the last minute. Our TA said not to worry when I asked her about it, she said because this flight would be full of cruisers going to Miami. There will be one more flight out with another airline that day.

Should I be concerned or just relax.....

Hi, was this booked through the cruise line or did you book it on your own? Either way, my experience has been that if a flight is cancelled, the airline is responsible for getting you to your destination somehow. I've had times where it has been on a completely different airline, but I've gotten when I needed to be.

If you haven't purchased it, I would recommend you get insurance in case there are any extra charges.

Otherwise you should relax.

Host Miriam
Community Supervisor
[email]ldrscruisemir7@aol.com[/email]

I do have trip insurance purchased through our TA. The flight is not through the cruise line. Our TA made them and said she saved us about $350 booking them herself. I always like to have contingency plans but she said connecting flights from all over meet up in MEM to go on to MIA for the cruise lines and that there should be no problem. Of course, my DH thinks I'm being way to cautious.

I've been flying NWA for years and really can't remember them ever cancelling a flight. They work with Delta and Continental, so I'm sure they'll work hard to get you there in the rare event that your flight is cancelled.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;6;26;17;1;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Navigator of the Seas 6/26/04

<center>
<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/logos/time98.gif[/img]</center>

[This message was edited by PhoenixCruiser on 04-15-04 at 11:20 AM.]

Another reason to fly in the day before.

In addition to the cancellation risk, there's mechanical difficulties, weather, etc.

If any of those happen, I have no doubt they can get you to Miami - the question is whether they can do it before the ship leaves.

----------------------------------------------------------

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits" Mark Twain

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's formal night attire, poolside attire, child rearing practices, walk-talkie usage, chair hogging, seat saving, line cutting ..." Mark_K

mm25112....You are probably on a 9'ish flight out of MEM. It should get you there ok unless there are weather or mechanical troubles. We usually take the first flight out (5:00 am Delta), connect in ATL, and then get to FL around 10:30ish.

We have taken the NWflight a couple of times and have never had a problem.

A couple of recommendations:

First, make sure NW has your home phone number in your reservation. That way if they know there is a problem the night before or even during the night, they can call you. If they know ahead of time they might put you on another flight and call you to let you know.

Secondly, call NW as soon as you get up to make sure flight still looks as scheduled. If there are any problems at that time you would know ahead of time.

Third, get to the airport early. That way if there is a problem that they know about yet you might get put on an earlier flight that would connect in ATL or CVG and still get you there on time.

Finally, after you check in keep an eye on the "board". If there is any sign of a delayed flight, one of you get in line so you can be at the front of the line for changes and one of you go get on the phone on the NW 800# and see what they can do for you!

More than likely everything will go smoothly as planned but it never hurts to be cautious and stay alert.

Have a great trip.

Thank you all so much for the great recommendations. Our flight does leave at 9:20. The ship sails at 5:00. There are a few flights that arrive at 5:15 or so. Will the ship wait an hour if a flight is cancelled by an airline? I'll make plans to be at the airport by 7:30. That should give them and us enough time to scramble in case of a cancellation. I also thought about printing off the available flights after ours from Orbitz the night before and taking them with us to the airport. That might assist in finding alternate flights.

Thanks again, everyone [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

he ship wont wait if your flight is delayed unless there are people on your flight that booked the air using the cruise line to book.

After my first cruise I now go to the airport with a list of flights that will take place around the time of my flight incase something unforseen happens to the one I booked. I will then have the knowlege of what my options are.

Going NOWHERE
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Miracle, February 13, 2005
Legend, October 22,2004
Voyager August 31,2003
Victory September 22,2002
Regal Empress,June 2001
Sensation,August 2000

Archived