Any must do's in Canada?

CarolNJ

FIRELT5,

I've been seeing your posts as we are on the Jewel -- same cruise as you. Maybe if we get a group to whine at the CC meeting we can get NCL to do dock closer to town --- especially if a better berth is open. I read on one of these threads that the berths fill up according to what ships dock earliest. I see that we dock earliest of three ships in Halifax but couldn't find a docking time for Quebec. Of course those times could change.

Let's just hope for NO rain! Thanks for all the good tips on "must do's" to all who submitted them.

See you in 18 1/2 days.

Ruth ;)

This is what I find so bizarre - dock 21 is free, yet the Jewel is still scheduled to dock at 103. Same thing today - went down to the dock tonight, 3 ships in but dock 21 unoccupied. The only reason I can see is that they've been doing some work near that berth, yet other ships have docked there this season...

Anyhow, I timed it, and if you get all green lights, it takes no more than 3 minutes to drive from dock 103 to the main docking area. And there appeared to be coach-style buses being used as shuttles. Can't confirm since they had no signs. However, these buses appeared to be going to the bus stop right beside the ferry, between docks 93 and 22, about 1-2 blocks from the Musée de la civilisation.

Here's a picture showing the Explorer of the Seas dockside at 103:

Sep29022.jpg

This is what I find so bizarre - dock 21 is free, yet the Jewel is still scheduled to dock at 103. Same thing today - went down to the dock tonight, 3 ships in but dock 21 unoccupied. The only reason I can see is that they've been doing some work near that berth, yet other ships have docked there this season...

Anyhow, I timed it, and if you get all green lights, it takes no more than 3 minutes to drive from dock 103 to the main docking area. And there appeared to be coach-style buses being used as shuttles. Can't confirm since they had no signs. However, these buses appeared to be going to the bus stop right beside the ferry, between docks 93 and 22, about 1-2 blocks from the Musée de la civilisation.

Here's a picture showing the Explorer of the Seas dockside at 103:

Sep29022.jpg

TNX for all of your help :)

You're on the Explorer of the Seas, right? If so, you're docking berth in Quebec City is, alas, not the best: dock 103, or the furthest one from the Old City. I think that ships who dock here have a shuttle to take them closer to the action

We have just returned from this itinerary and can confirm: Explorer docks at Pier 103 and there were shuttle buses (orange school buses, actually) which took passengers to Old Town, just a few minutes' drive away. From there, you can walk. They left continually from 9 am to 5 pm (or so - check when your ship leaves and when the last shuttle runs).

Halifax has some great local breweries. Also for lunch there I would recommend the restaurant Salty's which is right on the waterfront at Privateers wharf. One of the great local microbreweries in Halifax is called Garrison and is right by the pier... I am a travel writer and just did a review of some things in Halifax if you want to check it out: http://www.thetraveleditor.com/article/1438/Feature_Article_Experience_Day_10__Battle_of_the_Brews.html

Archived