New York Information...

josephml1

Hello fellow travelers from Cruise critic I need some help...I know all the New yorkers are always willing to help.

I will be in NY in The first week of November, I am going to have a Car to arrive to NY.

My first question is where I Can park the car, the nearest location to park and take the Subway to Manhattan, I am looking for a cheap place to park and ride the subway and be asap in Manhattan.

My second question is how hard is to drive a car in Manhattan? I always drive with the GPS and no problem but I am not sure about NY.

Also your local recommendations about what to do, where to eat, etc (Is my second time in NY)

Thank You all

Hello Joseph,

It is not difficult to drive in Manhattan if you can deal with all the traffic. The streets go from east to west and the avenues go from north to south-- most of them are one-way, and you may have to go a few blocks out of your way in order to go in the direction you want.

As far as the park & ride-- where in NY are you planning to stay? The subway system has many lines going to all areas of the city (except for Staten Island). There aren't any "park & ride" lots within the city limits that I'm aware of-- you just have to find the subway line you want and then find a parking lot or on street parking space near one of the stops. I've posted a link to the subway map

http://mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Hope this helps!

Marge

Hello Joseph,

It is not difficult to drive in Manhattan if you can deal with all the traffic. The streets go from east to west and the avenues go from north to south-- most of them are one-way, and you may have to go a few blocks out of your way in order to go in the direction you want.

As far as the park & ride-- where in NY are you planning to stay? The subway system has many lines going to all areas of the city (except for Staten Island). There aren't any "park & ride" lots within the city limits that I'm aware of-- you just have to find the subway line you want and then find a parking lot or on street parking space near one of the stops. I've posted a link to the subway map

http://mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Hope this helps!

Marge

Hello and thank you for your help.

I am going to stay with some friends in Jersey city,

Do you know where I can street park my car safely, cheap and then take the subway?

Thanks Again.

You will pay commuter parking rates in Jersey City. However, it won't be nearly as much as NY.

I've looked for the daily rate at the Journal Square Transportation Center, but I'm not finding it. You should ask your friend for advice. It may be better to just leave your car at one of the parking garages or lots at Journal Square, Grove St., Pavonia, or Exchange Place and take PATH to NY and the bus to your friend's.

We had no problems driving in Manhattan and we're from a very small town. It's mainly just lots of traffic but it's very easy to find your way around. Do make sure you have a map with you and not just your GPS. We found that we couldn't rely on the GPS because we kept losing contact with the satellites due to all the tall buildings.

Hey, is this the same Joseph from New York as a first timer? Welcome back (if you are the same one).

Hello Name Game, How are you... Yes I am the same joseph from my last post New York for a first timer...I am back to NY for a second time.:D

I don't know about Long Island City, but you can definitely park on the street in Brooklyn & take the subway from there. The closer you park to Manhattan-- the shorter your subway ride will be. It is very difficult to park in the Brooklyn Heights/ Cobble Hill area, but a bit easier in Carroll Gardens, Park Slope & Windsor Terrace ( F& R train lines). Bay Ridge( also R line) is further out & will take a lot longer to get to Manhattan. Just make sure you check the parking signs as they have "no parking" on certain days for several hours so the street can be cleaned. Here are a couple of links:

http://www.brooklyn.com/map.php

http://gonyc.about.com/od/mapsbrooklyn/Brooklyn_Maps_New_York_City_Brooklyn_Maps.htm

Hope this helps.

Marge

Hello fellow travelers from Cruise critic I need some help...I know all the New yorkers are always willing to help.

I will be in NY in The first week of November, I am going to have a Car to arrive to NY.

My first question is where I Can park the car, the nearest location to park and take the Subway to Manhattan, I am looking for a cheap place to park and ride the subway and be asap in Manhattan.

My second question is how hard is to drive a car in Manhattan? I always drive with the GPS and no problem but I am not sure about NY.

Also your local recommendations about what to do, where to eat, etc (Is my second time in NY)

Thank You all

Joseph, heads up the beginning of November is the NYC Marathon. Don't even think about trying to drive in the city November 2nd.

Joseph,

I don't understand. If you are staying with a friend who lives in Jersey City, why would you want to drive to Brooklyn or Long Island city in order to take the subway back into NY? You will pay a hefty toll to take your car through the Holland tunnel, and will have to find a parking place in an unfamiliar area.

I would enlist your friend's help in finding free parking in Jersey City, which I am sure is available away from the PATH stations. Even if you take a local bus to Path, you can go either to the WTC downtown or 33rd St midtown.

I don't know about Long Island City, but you can definitely park on the street in Brooklyn & take the subway from there. The closer you park to Manhattan-- the shorter your subway ride will be. It is very difficult to park in the Brooklyn Heights/ Cobble Hill area, but a bit easier in Carroll Gardens, Park Slope & Windsor Terrace ( F& R train lines). Bay Ridge( also R line) is further out & will take a lot longer to get to Manhattan. Just make sure you check the parking signs as they have "no parking" on certain days for several hours so the street can be cleaned. Here are a couple of links:

http://www.brooklyn.com/map.php

http://gonyc.about.com/od/mapsbrooklyn/Brooklyn_Maps_New_York_City_Brooklyn_Maps.htm

Hope this helps.

Marge

Yes, you help me a lot thank you marge :) :)

Parking and riding from Jersey City will be much faster. Journal Square to 33rd St is 18 minutes and Journal Square to WTC is 11 minutes. The closer stations like Grove St. and Exchange Place are even less time.

What is your destination in NY? If you are staying in Jersey City, it will take you a long time to get through the Holland tunnel ($8.00 toll), across lower Manhattan to one of the bridges, and out to some place in Brooklyn where you might find a free parking space that probably won't be close to a subway station.

Parking and riding from Jersey City will be much faster. Journal Square to 33rd St is 18 minutes and Journal Square to WTC is 11 minutes. The closer stations like Grove St. and Exchange Place are even less time.

What is your destination in NY? If you are staying in Jersey City, it will take you a long time to get through the Holland tunnel ($8.00 toll), across lower Manhattan to one of the bridges, and out to some place in Brooklyn where you might find a free parking space that probably won't be close to a subway station.

Thanks 138east; do you remember how much cost the parking in Journal square park and ride? I am going to visit several places in NYC "sightseeing and shopping ;)

I've searched for current parking rates, but I can't find them. Perhaps your friend can assist or you can search yourself and make some phone calls for the current rates. If you can park by your friend's for free and take a bus to PATH, it will still be reasonable. PATH only costs $1.75 and it will take you to the heart of downtown or the heart of midtown. I can't imagine a local bus would be more expensive.

The only problem with Jersey City is that parking is restricted anywhere close to a PATH station, except on the weekend. However, I'm sure if you are further away, free parking may be possible. You really have to get local assistance on this one. I was at a friend's recently in Jersey City near Grove Street and that was the scenario. At night and on the weekend no problem, but during the day there were parking restrictions.

I've searched for current parking rates, but I can't find them. Perhaps your friend can assist or you can search yourself and make some phone calls for the current rates. If you can park by your friend's for free and take a bus to PATH, it will still be reasonable. PATH only costs $1.75 and it will take you to the heart of downtown or the heart of midtown. I can't imagine a local bus would be more expensive.

The only problem with Jersey City is that parking is restricted anywhere close to a PATH station, except on the weekend. However, I'm sure if you are further away, free parking may be possible. You really have to get local assistance on this one. I was at a friend's recently in Jersey City near Grove Street and that was the scenario. At night and on the weekend no problem, but during the day there were parking restrictions.

Great information you have been very helful.

Thnk you very much:) ;)

Thanks 138east; do you remember how much cost the parking in Journal square park and ride? I am going to visit several places in NYC "sightseeing and shopping ;)

Parking AT Journal Square is $12.00 per 24 hours

There are quite a few parking lots AROUND Journal Square. The one on Sip Ave has coupons sometimes for a discount. But some of the adjacent private lots close early (about 10:00PM) so check before you park.

I just park AT Journal Square.

Parking AT Journal Square is $12.00 per 24 hours

There are quite a few parking lots AROUND Journal Square. The one on Sip Ave has coupons sometimes for a discount. But some of the adjacent private lots close early (about 10:00PM) so check before you park.

I just park AT Journal Square.

Thank you very much for the info...:) :) :)

Great thank you very much...

One more question about the toll roads to enter NYC...

The price is just to enter or also to exit???

Thanks Again

Hi Joseph, here are some more links for you. Most of the tolls are one way, however some are both ways.

http://www.mta.info/bandt/html/btmap.htm

http://www.bts.gov/publications/state_transportation_statistics/new_york/html/table_01_04.html

Archived