Fortuna Feb. 18 Roll Call

ECCruise

Hi all

Just think this time next week we will have set sail from Barcelona enroute for Casablanca.. I’ve put together some snippets which may be of interest.

We are from England and to us the price of drinks didn’t seem to be too bad but whenever we visit America we are always amazed by how low American prices seem to be. I can only remember 2 drinks prices; cocktail of the day was €4.15 and a bottle of wine with dinner cost from around €16.00 upwards.

If our last trip was anything to go by we won’t be getting to Savona until around 4.30pm. I’d just sat down to read the information in the cabin- muster drill 5pm and looked at my watch 4.55pm, so after travelling over 12 hours still no time to rest. Muster drill seemed to be more a photo opportunity for the ships photographers than a safety drill and it lasted far too long.

In your cabin you will find a card that tells you which restaurant you are to use, which sitting and your table number.

I didn’t use the gymnasium at all; just looking through the door was exhausting so I can’t comment on it.

Although most European countries formed part of the Roman Empire, toga parties are not part of European culture, they are more an American thing. As the vast majority of passengers on this cruise come from Europe with only a handful from America, I’d be really surprised if there was one on this trip. There wasn’t one last year and I don’t think that a toga party would fit in with the ambience that Costa is trying to create on this trip. Italian night which is a formal Gala evening will replace it. We are already booked on the spring voyage of the Costa Meditteranea in April from Fort Lauderdale to Savona and there might be a toga night on that one. We’ll just have to wait and see.

All the ports we visit (with the exception of Casablanca are easy to get around on your own). Unfortunately we don’t spend very long it Barcelona (you would need more like 5 days than 5 hours) In the time allowed you could probably do a sightseeing tour (either a ships excursion or on the open top bus) and a walk up Las Ramblas.

I can’t recommend anything in Casablanca because I never get off the ship when docked in any Moroccan port. Years ago we had a vacation there and we were so fed up with being hassled and pestered by the locals trying to sell you things that you don’t want. That we vowed never to step foot in the country again. As the ship leaves the port in the evening you get a fine view of the mosque illuminated against the night sky.

It was unfortunate that when we visited Arrecife it was Good Friday and as this is a very religious country everywhere was shut except for a couple of kiosks. The place was full of people who were obviously passengers from the Costa Fortuna mooching around. This time it is a Wednesday we should be ok. Arrecife seemed to have plenty of shops and it was easy to get around. The National Park of Timanfaya is a volcanic landscape formed by intermittent volcanic eruptions over a six year period, 1730-1736,

We dock so close to the centre of Santa Cruz de Tenerife that shuttle transport is only for the infirm. It’s an easy 10 minute stroll into town. You walk through an underpass and come out in the Plaza Espana, which is where Nelson lost his arm in the battle of Santa Cruz de Tenerife. Here you can catch a little tourist train that takes you around the place for an hour. Tenerife is also known as the garden of eternal springtime, it certainly is an island of contrasts from the lush vegetation of the Orotava valley to the semi arid area around Playa las Americas to the volcanic fields enroute to Mt. Teide. Mt.Teide is the highest point in Spain and is literally breathtaking because of the altitude every exertion requires more effort. Around Puerto de la Cruz the Lido consists of 8 swimming pools filled with seawater is worth seeing and I found the botanical gardens quite peaceful. In the afternoon a free shuttle bus runs from the ship to the “Meridano” shopping centre

Funchal is my favourite part of this trip and I can’t think why, the pavements are uneven and every road out of town seems to be uphill. I wouldn’t like to drive around Madeira, apart from the motorways the rest of the roads seem to be twisting, narrow and steep. Madeira has been called a floating garden, it has a sub tropical climate, so it never gets cold and it never gets too hot. The panoramic tour is good but if you get a taxi from where the shuttle bus picks you up you can do the same trip but much cheaper, I can’t remember if it was €15 or €30 each for a half day tour but I remember it was good value. I always like to visit the market in Funchal they have allsorts but I particularly like the flowers and I always buy cymbidium pseudo bulbs there.

We don’t have much time in Malaga the open top bus round the town is good. You can catch the bus near the cathedral which is only a short walk from where the ships shuttle bus stops. The trip takes you past the bullring the Alcazaba and up to the Gibralfaro Castle from here you can get some great views on the town and see the Costa Fortuna in the port. I like these open top bus trips because you get a commentary on what you are seeing and if something interests you then you can get off and have a look around and get a later bus because you ticket is good for 24 hours. The trip to Puerto Banus should be good. Puerto Banus is a small harbour full of expensive boats and equally expensive cars. Last time I was there people were posing next to these cars to have there photo taken. It’s also the last chance to go shopping before we reach Savona.

John and Maggie

John and Maggie,

Thank you for the commentary! It was fun to read right before the trip. Mike and I are packed and ready to go which will ensure very wrinkled clothes by the time we unpack our cases on Thursday. I pray that the airport does not unpack my clothes as they will NEVER get it repacked, I swear the clothes will leap out of the bag if opened. We are packing for cold and warm weather, fancy clothes, regular clothes--too much stuff.

We'll be bringing plastic containers with Scotch, Makers Mark and Sky Vodka. Also picked up some cool diet lemonade packets that are just the right size for a large glass of lemonade (mix it with the Vodka). We have found we like a cocktail (or three) while getting dressed for dinner in the evening and it's easier to have it in the room then.

Looking forward to meeting much of you in CDG, and we'll meet up with John and Maggie aboard ship.

I'd mentioned meeting at the Solarium Bar, on Funchal Deck starboard side, between 4:00-4:30 after we board the ship. If John and Maggie don't get to the ship before 4:30 perhaps we need to set another time for the first day at sea to meet here? Or immediately meet after the safety photographic extravaganza, otherwise known as safety drill?

Jill

Thanks for all the details! We are really ready to go now! Not as packed as you guys, Jill and Mike, but slowly and surely getting there! We are now leaning to the ship's tour to Rabat in Casablance since no one seems really comfortable about doing it on our own. That tour also does the Hassan II mosque to maybe we will get a decent overview. Also concerned about being hassled by vendors/guides/etc. although we have heard it is slightly less obtrusive in Rabat. Our car rentals are set for Arrecife and Tenerife and our driver in Madeira has confirmed. Sounds like most of us will be headed to Las Ramblas in Barcelona, and the hop on-hop off bus sounds like the ticket in Malaga.

Three days and counting....

Ed and Cathy

We will be on our way to Atlanta...booked early flights so we would have backups both to Atlanta and to Paris...thinking about weather related delays. Never in our wildest dreams did we think A) It would be 70 degrees today and tomorrow here in Richmond and B) That we would be headed somewhere chillier than where we left, LOL. Looking forward to meeting you all...Solarium Bar...did we decide after the Muster Drill?

Ed and Cathy

Good Question! I'm not sure if we ever decided before or after. Do you want to just make it after so that John and Maggie can make it?

It was 68 degrees here today but tomorrow it is supposed to cool off to the 40's.

It is so relaxing to be off of work officially now!

See you soon,

Jill

Hi All - We are leaving tomorrow at 4:30 PM CST. It has been warm 80 degrees yesterday and today so hard to look at our heavier clothes. We will be ready to meet up with all of you.

So is it after Muster that we meet at the Funchal Bar?? Please let us know and we will be looking for any Ed and Kathy's or Jill and Mike's on the CDG to GOA flight.

Ciao -

Pamela & Kim

See you all there after Muster. Hopefully we'll also meet in Paris.

I agree with Pamela, it is difficult to know we need warm clothes to go on the cruise, but maybe we'll all bring our warmer weather to Europe. We'll be on the hunt for Ed and Cathy, Pamela and Kim.

See you soon!!!!

Jill and Mike = ready to go

Hello to everybody,

I'm writing from Barcelona (Spain)I'm new at this forum but, I love cruise and I've cruised 3 times on Royal Caribbean ships.

I've read your comments about Costa Fortuna, I have visited this ship and it's great. In addition, I will depart on it march 2nd, I saw somebody else in this topic that will be also sailing in this date.

If anybody have a question, please feel free to contact me. You also will find me in the best spanish cruise web site: www.infocruceros.com as supertec.

Surely I will be here everyday to read what you are writing, I love to be well informed about the ship that i'm going to depart.

Best regards from Spain!

• 2 weeks later...

Not really sure if Fantastico is a word, but it sums up the great time we had aboard the Fortuna. What a super ship and crew, and what a EXCELLENT bunch of folks we met aboard her!!!!!

Mike and I arrived home last evening at five pm, flights were delayed about an hour due to the snow in Italy, Spain and Paris the day before, but no big deal. I hope Ed and Cathy who were flying home on Tuesday (snow day) got home alright.

Somehow I now have a cough, it started in Genova. It was so darn cold in Genova!!!! took away some of the ambience due to having icy legs, we'd walk a little duck in a bar to get a drink then walk a little more. I bought 6 of the Pasmina type scarfs to wrap around my head and body the colder I got, and looked like a mummy of many colors by the end of the night.

Looking forward to comparing notes with everyone when we get rested.

Jill

Hi all...

Was that a great trip or what? Nice meeting all of you on such a wonderful cruise.

Our trip home was pretty uneventful, great flight on Air France...2 decent meals, free booze and helpful attendants...in the back of the bus no less!

Organizing our pictures and will have them uploaded in the next week or so...the snow/ice on the pool deck and chairs is a classic as well as the one with the camel in front of us peeing in Lanzarote.

Hope everyone is home safely and easily and recovering. Seemed strange not be be in Conte Rosso last night with Michael and Aaron!

Ed and Cathy

Hello again!

Hope everyone made it home safe - still waiting to hear from Pamela and Kim - who were flying out on Thursday - the big snow day when they closed the Genoa airport! Hope you guys made it home safe!

Jill & Mike - somehow we didn't get your email address. You have ours, so please drop us a line so we can stay in touch!

Cathy & Ed

Hi Cathy and Ed!

I can't find your email info, so please email me at fosterscootie @ yahoo.com (of course no spaces) and I'll email back from our usual email addies.

I've been sick ever since coming home, started in Genova. I pray I'm able to go to work tomorrow. Mike is battling illness, too, I'm sorry to report. Let us know if you hear from Pamela and Kim. I didn't know Genova had a bunch of snow!

Jill

Hi everyone - It was great to meet all of you and we also had a Fantastico time on the cruise.

I'll try to make a long story short - we just got home last night due to weather complications everywhere we went. They did close the Genova airport so we couldn't fly out on March 3rd so we took the train and spent 2 more days in Rome. After Rome on Saturday morning we flew to Paris and the flight was late so we missed our connection. We had to spend the night at the Ibis Airport Hotel which BTW... I do not recommend. We did go into Paris and that was cold and sleeting. Kim is at home right now in bed with the flu.

More will come later as we are playing catch up!!

Ciao, Ciao

Pamela

We were concerned that you would be delayed but not that much! 2 days in Rome and a day in Paris, though, not too shabby as long as you were alright with work, etc. Glad to hear you are safely home and glad you guys, too, had a great time!

Ed and Cathy

Aw Pamela, Glad you are home finally. My heart is with Kim, I came home and spent four days in bed with the flu, too! I pray he is better and that you don't catch the flu as well. How are you feeling?

Email more as you can.

Take care, it was great to get to know you.

Jill

Archived