Nov. 21st Sailing on QM2 -- Formal Nights

Cruller

I just received my preliminary documents from my TA, and strangely one of the formal nights is held the very fist night of the cruise. I am sure it will be great, but I'm not sure if I will be able to have my outfit pressed in time.

I was also surprised that there are quite a few semi-formal nights (4 for an 8-night cruise + 2 formal + 2 elegant casual), two of which fall on the same days as our port stops. (Although I remember seeing somewhere that if the ship leaves port early enough, they may still have a fancier evening than elegant casual.)

I was just curious what other cruisecritic folk have experienced on Caribbean cruises.

I just received my preliminary documents from my TA, and strangely one of the formal nights is held the very fist night of the cruise. I am sure it will be great, but I'm not sure if I will be able to have my outfit pressed in time.

I was also surprised that there are quite a few semi-formal nights (4 for an 8-night cruise + 2 formal + 2 elegant casual), two of which fall on the same days as our port stops. (Although I remember seeing somewhere that if the ship leaves port early enough, they may still have a fancier evening than elegant casual.)

I was just curious what other cruisecritic folk have experienced on Caribbean cruises.

I am fairly confident that the first night will not be formal. That must be a misprint. Unfortunately, the dress code that appears in the cruise documents is often incorrect. I would think that two formal nights would be correct for an eight night cruise. The number of semi-formal nights may or may not be correct. The good news is that most passengers dress up every night so whatever you take for a semi-formal night would be fine to wear on a casual night. Have a fabulous cruise.

Beth

Thanks Beth!

I am pretty much a first-time cruiser. (The only cruise I ever took was when I was 8 years old, and I don't know which cruise line that was.) So, I didn't know what to think when I saw the documentation. Regardless of what it said in the documentation, I was pretty excited to get that preliminary packet!

I agree with my friend Beth.....you won't have a formal night the first night out. Some people might not even have their luggage yet for first seating, and with all the festivities of sailaway they wouldn't have a formal night. First and last nights have been elegant casual.

Our first 7 day Caribbean had 3 formals, 1 semi formal and the rest elegant casual. Last year our 10 day Caribbean had 3 formals, 1 semi formal and the rest elegant casual, despite the fact that the docs said otherwise. I expect the same will hold true for our Dec 9th Caribbean this year as the docs indicate 3 formal, 4 semi formal and 3 elegant casual. Since most people's elegant casual is usually dressy enough for semi formal, this confusion is usually not a problem. I'd not worry about it were I you.

Relax and enjoy the anticipation of your first QM2 trip...there is nothing like it!

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

I remember seeing somewhere that if the ship leaves port early enough, they may still have a fancier evening than elegant casual.

You heard correctly - generally if the ship leaves port around midday, or even in the early part of the afternoon, it will often be a formal night (particularly if the cruise involves very few sea days).

I agree with the other responders. I think it's highly likely that there has been an error about the first night. It's almost certainly not formal.

Jimmy

Thanks Beth!

I am pretty much a first-time cruiser. (The only cruise I ever took was when I was 8 years old, and I don't know which cruise line that was.) So, I didn't know what to think when I saw the documentation. Regardless of what it said in the documentation, I was pretty excited to get that preliminary packet!

Congratulations on your first cruise. You are certainly in for a treat with the QM2!

Why don't you join the roll call with others on your cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=719989

There are some very knowledgeable Cunard cruisers sailing with you. In quickly glancing at the roll call, there has been some discussion about the dress code stated in the documents.

Beth

Hi, I'm on the Nov. 21st cruise. The dress code in the docs is totally wrong. Please see the roll call as mentioned by my friend Beth.

According to Cunard I was told that the documents were not corrected when they re-scheduled this cruise after coming from dry-dock.

As Penny (Patwell) and I have discussed it can happen that what your docs say and what actually happens on the ship can vary.

LInda

I just wanted to thank everyone else for their comments. When I talked to Cunard to book my shore excursions, they also said the first night would not be a formal night. Phew! That makes my life easier. I am so excited for my cruise.

I will definitely check out the roll call.

Archived