Elizabeth at Vila markets room 8

gizzigoo

A nice experience In Vila at the markets, it's a little difficult to put into words as it was such an emotional connection. As many of you know the kindness of the people of Vila is legendary.

I had purchased something at the markets and I thanked them in Bismala and she remarked that it was suprising that I spoke Bismala, I told her only a little as I grew up in PNG and the languages are similar, not that I can remember a lot. She was excited as she also lived there in Madang.

We chatted away about life in the pacific and I admired her traditional billum bag which she had brought from PNG. I used to have a couple but when my Mum's house was cleaned out someone in the family thew them in the skip.

Some time later that day she came running across the road and said she would like to give me the billum bag, and proceeded to unload her bag to give to me, I offered to pay and she said "no, it is a gift from my heart that you will always remember Elizabeth". Well even Bob had tears in his eyes.

We walked down the street and we were trying to think of something we could do to thank her and decided to head back to the markets and give her our address so that if she was ever in Australia she could stay with us.

Her sister Cathy was there and told us Elizabeth would come back later, so we headed back later and Elizabeth had caught a bus back in. We did the photos (they did not turn out great) and exchanged addresses and chatted for ages. Then Cathy gives Bob a shirt to remember her by and again would not take any money. I decided that I should buy all of my gifts from them and while I was doing this Elizabeth gives us a gift for our daughter wedding. It was just amazing and she is right, I will never forget Elizabeth and Cathy.

Elizabeth's husband is a missionary and they have travelled quite a bit around the pacific and nicer people you couldn't meet anywhere.

So when in Vila please call in and say hello to Elizabeth in room 8 at the markets, she sells souvenirs and trinkets that are perfect to give to friends and neighbours.

elizabeth_and_glenda.jpg

Wow Glenda. What a lot of lovely memories for you. They sound like lovely ladies.

How did your "Ground Hog Day" cruise go? I hope it all went well. :)

Hi Jo,

It was amazing, so totally different cruising with just DH, magic! And we certainly have loads of fabulous memories to replace the not so fabulous ones!

Hi Jo,

It was amazing, so totally different cruising with just DH, magic! And we certainly have loads of fabulous memories to replace the not so fabulous ones!

That's great! I'm really pleased to hear it. Now you can just wipe away all memory of the first one and and pretend it never happened! :)

So when in Vila please call in and say hello to Elizabeth in room 8 at the markets, she sells souvenirs and trinkets that are perfect to give to friends and neighbours.

Hi - That is a perfect example of why we love to travel.

We will be in Vila in December. I will be sure to look for Elizabeth in the Market and I will tell her that Glenda says "Hi".

Sandra

Hi - That is a perfect example of why we love to travel.

We will be in Vila in December. I will be sure to look for Elizabeth in the Market and I will tell her that Glenda says "Hi".

Sandra

It is lovely, and it is these moments that put the meaning into travel for me.

I will let Elizabeth know that she may get a few travellers calling in to say hello at the markets, she will be thrilled!

glenda

I will certainly go and look for her and buy something anyway and say hi from you.

did you want to me to take anything for her.

I am going to the shops tomorrow so could maybe get something then and say it is from you.

What do you think?

kaseyoz@hotmail.com

Karon thanks so much, that would be so nice and I know she would love it.

But trying to think what we could send her, any ideas?

oh how lovley is that!

glenda did you have a not so good cruise once?

Yep, but it didn't dent my enthusiasm! The small things that went wrong were.....ship broke down........son got ruptured lungs.......got ripped off in Vila.......and a few other things that I won't mention here.

However, I chose to remember the good things and there were many good things on that cruise, and because of what happened I booked the last cruise so that we could redo it over again (hence the name, ground hog day cruise) with the same places and get all new photos. And it worked in a big way, beyond my expectations. So even when things go wrong cruising is still great!

That's such a lovely story Glenda :) I'll make sure to stop by her stall when we're there in January :)

Thanks Jo,

I recieved an email back from Elizabeth.

"Good and very excited to recieved the email from. I love you both and sure I will be waiting to see who will pop in from the sailing boats. Im glad you did enjoy the holiday in Vanuatu"

It would be wonderful if every one calls to see her.

I will be stopping into Vila in January, so will certainly pop in to see her and buy a few things - do you know if she has any children? Or if there is anything that might help her day to day??? Or even something thats a treat - without being too OTT (and being to 'plastic')...

I will be stopping into Vila in January, so will certainly pop in to see her and buy a few things - do you know if she has any children? Or if there is anything that might help her day to day??? Or even something thats a treat - without being too OTT (and being to 'plastic')...

I think probably the best way to help would be to purchase a few things from her shop, this will grow her business which in turn will help many people. I think she will be really chuffed if people from the ship seek her out to buy from her shop.

She has children but they are not small.

It is hard to give things as she will want to give back to you as she has a very generous giving nature. She has travelled and is quite well educated and has worked as a missionary with her husband.

Glenda - thanks for sharing that lovely story. The best post I've read for some time.

It always gives you a good feeling when you've had an opportunity to speak with a local, and to get just a small glimpse of how they live in comparison with our own lives.

I'm on the 19Oct Rhapsody sailing from Sydney, so I'll also look out for your friend in room 8, and will plan to buy from her. Thanks for sharing.

Glenda - thanks for sharing that lovely story. The best post I've read for some time.

It always gives you a good feeling when you've had an opportunity to speak with a local, and to get just a small glimpse of how they live in comparison with our own lives.

I'm on the 19Oct Rhapsody sailing from Sydney, so I'll also look out for your friend in room 8, and will plan to buy from her. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Steven,

It was such a lovely experience and I am so grateful that it did happened. Sometimes we are so busy with shore tours and having to learn about the culture of the country that we forget that the best cultural moments can be found in the simplest interaction with the people who live and work in the places we visit.

Elizabeth will be stoked that people off the ship are seeking her out :D

Glenda ... looking at the photo - is she at the Market behind the town? (as opposed to the ones at the wharf?)?

Oh Yes, Linda, thankyou! I wasn't thinking, glad you brought this up as everyone probably thought I was talking about the wharf markets!

She is not at the markets at the wharf, she is in room 8 at the markets in town next to the waterside cafe and down behind the shops.

Oh Yes, Linda, thankyou! I wasn't thinking, glad you brought this up as everyone probably thought I was talking about the wharf markets!

She is not at the markets at the wharf, she is in room 8 at the markets in town next to the waterside cafe and down behind the shops.

Thanks Glenda ... we've never managed to get down to those markets - but will definitely make the effort when we're there next year and will do my best to see if I can find her! She sounds lovely!:)

Thanks Glenda ... we've never managed to get down to those markets - !:)

Us either as both our cruises we were in Vila on a Sunday & apparently they are not open (and I didn't see them). Next time thoug....not a Sunday:D

Now that cleared up that problem. I was looking in the wrong place.

Now that I can see the photo again I can see where it is, silly me.

Archived