VATICAN, Best PRIVATE Tours/Guides

I need some help from all you helpful, experienced cruisers!

Luckily, on our Summit Med cruise in November, we have two days and an overnight at the port of Civitavecchia/Rome.

I am joining a few other couples for the first day on a private tour with Rome In Limo for a Rome highlights tour (without the Vatican).

We plan to catch the train back into Rome on the second day and dedicate it to the Vatican, museums, Sistine chapel, etc. For this adventure, what is the best way to get the most value for this trip?

Who have you all used for private Vatican tours/guides and who/whom is recommended?

I'll post everyone's recommendations our our website.

Thank you all in advance!

Susan~

http://www.freewebs.com/summitnov1/

We used Romeinlimo about two weeks ago for our short stay in Rome. They were fantastic and arranged for us to get a private guide (Sara) for the Vatican tour. I suggest you contact Jany at romeinlimo and ask her if they can set up for the private Vatican guide for the second independent day.

A lot depends on your own personal preferences. Do you want a guide that will hit the highlights and be entertaining? Do you want someone who can answer just about any question you can throw at them authoritatively? Do you want a 2 hour tour or a 4 hour tour? Are you more interested in the Renaissance history and art? The religious aspects of the Vatican?

If you can answer a few of these questions, it would help to figure out what kind of guide or tour would suit.

jdm---thanks, I'll be sure to contact Jany again about the Vatican tour

cruisemom---this is my first cruise, and my first time in this part of Europe. I'm not even sure that I know what I want but a longer tour would be fine as we've separated the Vatican from the rest of Rome so that it won't be a rushed 2-hour tour! (a two-hour tour....a song comes to mind!)

Here's what I do know: I'm not Catholic but as a Protestant I still relish church and religious history. I also appreciate art and took my college art history course while studying abroad in Europe. I also appreciate a good story-teller and humor, so straight-laced fact-giving will probably bore me to tears! Regarding questions, I probably won't have any difficult questions for the guide so I won't be playing "stump the expert!"

Thanks so much~

Susan~

http://www.freewebs.com/summitnov1/

After reading your last post.....no doubt in my mind.

http://www.angeltoursrome.com we used them last November. Here's why I recommend them:

1) I am not catholic but also appreciate the history associated with the Vatican etc.

2) We had Eileen who has her degree (masters ?) in Art History as well as all the other guides for this co.

3) They are all Irish - so no boring stuff......I enjoyed her interesting tidbits probably more than the who, what, when, where, how etc....

4) But what questions I did have for her....she answered and with a smile. (Even when I asked some pretty dumb ones :) )

5) Since you are coming in on the train and not in need of transporation (which they can provide if needed) you would just meet them at the time you designate (if it is a private tour you can say when).

Not sure of the prices at this point......we paid 90 euros per person (180 euros) but again this was just me and dh with Eileen. We also used her for the Coliseum/Forum/Palatine Hill (same price).

If you want something a little more in depth, Context Rome offers excellent private tours as well as small group tours. They have two Vatican tours, one (Arte Vaticana) covers the Vatican museum, Sistine Chapel, and St Peters. It's about 4 hours. The second one (Vatican Collections) focuses just on the museum and Sistine chapel.

The guides are excellent, knowledgeable, but can be a bit scholarly. I have taken two tours with them and have learned a lot; but then I tend to do a great deal of reading and research before I travel -- so I don't want to hear the same stuff that I've already read.

Here is a link:

http://www.contexttravel.com/rome/

Susan,

Unless your two days in Rome are on the weekend (and the museums are closed on Sundays and crazy crowded on the last Sunday of the month: in that case you need to switch your tour days) you have the time in Rome, but don't know if you have the time to educate yourself. For example, the vatican museums provides a web site (who doesn't) so you can be preoriented. Maybe you can get ahold of one or more dvds about the Raphael rooms and Michelangelo and Bernini. If you have any access to this material it would be usefull and then you could decide if and what kind of guide you would want or need? We will return to Rome in May after 30 years and will be as prepared as possible (have become library and pbs junkies), just don't have much time!

If you are going to Florence, you can tie a variety of themes together about at least Bernini, Michelangelo, and Raphael. Michelangelo and Galileo are buried in the church of Santa Croce (Florence). Make sure that you see the Pantheon (Rome) and the cathedral in Florence (dome diameter is the same; Pantheom includes tomb of Raphael). Bernini's influence on both cities is remarkable and his history of dealing with popes and significant architecture in Rome is remarkable (see if you can get ahold of pbs program on the subject before you go: or, you'll most likely become motivated by this visit and then follow-up on your return!) Should be nice and cool, just be ready for any weather that comes your way (jacket and umbrella?).

Enjoy,

David

Texancruizer, How long was your tour with Eileen? Did you specify how you wanted to spend your time and where?

Even though we spent 2 nights precruise in Rome, timing only allowed us one FULL day of sightseeing (other than walking around on our own at night). Because of this, we booked the entire day with Eileen. We did the Vatican museums, Sistine Chapel and St. Peters in the morning. Grabbed a quick lunch at a pizza place (neat little hole in the wall place) that Eileen suggested (personal pizza, drink and desert for 5 euros) and then all taxied over to the Coliseum/Forum for a full afternoon there.

So. To answer your questions. We began early 9 a.m. and finished at the Vatican about 12:30. So 3-1/2 hrs. there. We did not so much specify how and where as much as we requested we definately wanted to get a good overall experience.

I have read lots of posts from people who either are much more scholared and knowledgable about the history and art there then we are..... or just prefer to do a TON of research on their own before they get there. But from my experience there is just SO MUCH to see that it can get overwhelming to those of us who aren't art or history majors !!!!! I just felt we got a good BALANCE of history and information along with interesting info and even some insight into living and working in Rome today. And to have someone there to answer every question was worth every penny we spent in my opinion. Here's the deal: I may or may not ever get back to Rome..... I plan on it but who knows ? If I don't, at least I feel that I did have a wonderful experience for the time I was there. HAVE A GREAT TRIP !

Texancruzer - do you know the name of the pizza place and where it is?? Always looking for cheap, good eats!

Sorry - but no. It was to the right of the Vatican (if you are standing in front looking at it) down about 1 block on the right side. Tiny, hole in the wall.... with BIG sign saying PIZZA 5 EUROS The owner was the cook, server and entertainment !!!

Hope this helps :o

Archived