Tossing Flowers off Ship

You cannot release balloons, nor throw flowers, or anything else, over board. You'll just have to say goodbye without anything material.

can you cite one governmental source that says this? I cited a source that says you can throw a body overboard and flowers.

I agree that you can't throw plastic because of international treaties but flowers which are biodegradable(as is a body) are ok....

the cruise line however may prohibit it for other reasons...

Thank you all for weighing in on this.

Does anyone know what number I would call for Royal Caribbean customer support? I checked the website, and the numbers listed don't seem to cover pre-cruise questions like this. I'm afraid if I wait until the day we sail, the purser and/or environmental officer may not be available for questions. The spot is right outside the port, so we would need to know right away.

I know that whether or not we are able to toss flowers or petals, or blow bubbles (which is also a great idea), we will definitely be able to honor his memory, and that's what's important.

You could write to the Safety and Environment Department, 1050 Caribbean Way, Miami, FL, 33132-2096. The corporate information telephone number is (305) 539-6000...it's possible they might give you the department's telephone number.

(P.S. - I also love the bubble blowing suggestion!)

can you cite one governmental source that says this? I cited a source that says you can throw a body overboard and flowers.

I agree that you can't throw plastic because of international treaties but flowers which are biodegradable(as is a body) are ok....the cruise line however may prohibit it for other reasons...

No government source, just the rules of the cruiselines....nothing overboard, period. There's an issue of items being sucked into the ship's engines. The OP's question is about flowers from a cruise ship. The answers for that question are different from a question about flowers from a private boat, shore, etc.

Last year In September, my sister and my aunt cruised together for a cruise we called "Momma's Cruise". We lost my mom a few months earlier, and as she loved cruising, and her birthday was September 19 - we boarded the Sovereign of The Seas (one of her favorite ships). On the night before we returned to Port Canaveral, the three of us gathered at the back of the ship. We held hand and said a few prayers for mom. Then - each of us had a dried rose from her funeral. We said goodbye and threw the dried buds overboard.

We did not hide, we were out in the open, and nobody said anything to us. In fact, one of the ship's crew came over and stood with us while we prayed.

We only threw one single flower which we had dried, so I do not feel that we damaged anything in doing so. It was a solemn and moving moment, and I think my mom would have thought so too.

Is it possible that is the law off the coast of New Jersey but other states with coastal waters may have different laws?

I do know the laws of scattering ashes is a Federal law. As long as you are 3 miles off the coast, you are not violating any laws. You can not scatter on private property without permission, (and there are even restrictions from scattering on your own property believe it or not). The best advice given is to ask the cruise line, especially being in international waters. It is always nice to be discreet, however. Hope everything works out for you, as I'm sure it will.

Our experience was on Carnival, not Royal Caribbean, so your mileage may vary. Also, it involved scattering ashes rather than flowers. Nonetheless, maybe my story will help.

We had my Mom cremated and have scattered ashes at various locations that she loved. When Dad and I cruised Carnival to the Bahamas in 2006, we wanted to scatter a few at sea.

The cruise was booked last minute, so we did not think to inquire about scattering in advance. Once onboard, we approached the Purser's desk. Our intention was to quietly make our way to an unused bit of open deck and do the whole thing very discreetly.

The Purser spoke with the Captain, and arrangements beyond our wildest expectations were made. The Captain actually had to veer slightly off course in order to be far enough into international waters for scattering to be legal, so a time was set for later that afternoon.

At the appropriate time, two officers met us at our cabin. They took us below decks to a crew-only area at the aft of the ship. I believe a total of four officers were present, and we were also permitted to bring two friends that we had met onboard.

The officers did a small procession and stood at attention, then Dad and I took turns saying a few words and each scattered a bit of ashes while our friends looked on. We were surprised to see that our friends were crying and every one of the officers had tears in his eyes.

It was a short but highly moving experience. The dignity that Carnival gave to the proceedings was truly amazing to us, and it was something that we will never forget.

Since you know in advance that you want to have the memorial and toss the flowers, I would recommend coordinating with Royal Caribbean ahead of time. Let them know exactly what you want to do, and I would imagine that they would work something out for you.

There's an issue of items being sucked into the ship's engines.

How would that happen? I thought the ships propellers were driven by electric motors powered from diesel engine/generator sets? The air intake is way up high on the upper decks if not part of the funnel tower itself.

Not meant to be funny, but serious, I suggested to my DW that she consider leaving some of my ashes on a cruise ship somewhere that wouldn't get cleaned so I could continue to cruise BtoB for a long time. I'm sure the cruise line would not approve of that idea. The rest get scattered at sea in the Caribbean. Members of my family have used legal, ashes at sea services before.

Can you believe the number of EXPERTS that come forward when you have such a touchy subject surface ... or is it sink.

Exactly. And it's so funny because most of them are so matter of fact. Yet they are wrong. \:D

You cannot release balloons, nor throw flowers, or anything else, over board. You'll just have to say goodbye without anything material.

Hmm. I guess this is something you should let the cruise lines and countless other places that allow this know. This question has been posted before and in that thread and this one the cruise lines have assisted people in "throwing something overboard". Just waiting for someone to throw in the Green Peace comment.

How would that happen? I thought the ships propellers were driven by electric motors powered from diesel engine/generator sets? The air intake is way up high on the upper decks if not part of the funnel tower itself. quote]

I don't know how it could happen. I just know that on each one of our cruises, printed in the daily paper is a notice about not throwing anything overboard since it can be sucked into the ship. If I knew how to scan and paste here, I have 14 papers that say so. Maybe the cruielines print that just to scare people.

Exactly. And it's so funny because most of them are so matter of fact. Yet they are wrong. \:D

And you would be....right ?????:p

I think many of us have sailed on many cruises and each of us are coming from our various experiences on board. Perhaps the cruise you were on allowed people to throw whatever they wanted over board. I have not had that experience. It doesn't make me wrong. It just means that I'm writing from a different experience. Lighten up. It's a message board after all. I'm sure the OP will do whatever she wants to anyway. Most people ask questions and then do their own thing regardless of the answers they are give.

Years ago when I was a crew member on a cruise ship everything went over the side, in fact there was a garbage chute just off the galley. Now in these enlightened times a captain would be drawn and quartered if he allowed anything like this to happen. I am certain that we have all seen the sign posted on ships warning about throwing things over the side which are tempered as ships move further offshore. Yes I suspect it would be possible for a ship's mechanical systems such as cooling or de-salination to injest plastic materials such as ballons or bottles, however in this instance we are talking about a a few flowers. Once again I say this is a time honoured maritime event and I am about as certain as I can be that the cruise line will be happy to accomodate.

And you would be....right ?????:p

I think many of us have sailed on many cruises and each of us are coming from our various experiences on board. Perhaps the cruise you were on allowed people to throw whatever they wanted over board. I have not had that experience. It doesn't make me wrong. It just means that I'm writing from a different experience. Lighten up. It's a message board after all. I'm sure the OP will do whatever she wants to anyway. Most people ask questions and then do their own thing regardless of the answers they are give.

Hmm. My post that you quoted was not in response to your post. If it was I would have quoted you. Maybe you just felt wrong? :rolleyes: Yes everyone posts from their own experiences however if I don't know if something has been done I would say, "I don't know" or just not comment on the thread. I did not tell the poster what she could or couldn't do. I just said what I know took place on other occasions as opposed to stating matter of factly that it cannot happen because of whatever reason. Lighten up :D

I don't know how it could happen. I just know that on each one of our cruises, printed in the daily paper is a notice about not throwing anything overboard since it can be sucked into the ship.

Actually you are correct in general. They are cautioning about someone throwing a lit cigarette off and the wind etc., might suck it back onto a balcony or the promenade deck. I've sat on my balcony and watched cigarettes being thrown off at night from above me. Pull up to any stoplight and the gutter is littered with butts. That dirty habit is for a whole other discussion.

I'm sure the OP will do whatever she wants to anyway. Most people ask questions and then do their own thing regardless of the answers they are give.

Excuse me? You don't know me. Why would you even make a flippant comment like that.

Thank you to everyone who has been so helpful on this subject.

DaisyGirl55 and blackrose602, thank you so much for sharing your own stories of loss and honoring your loved ones. I'm sorry for your losses.

Excuse me? You don't know me. Why would you even make a flippant comment like that.

Thank you to everyone who has been so helpful on this subject.

DaisyGirl55 and blackrose602, thank you so much for sharing your own stories of loss and honoring your loved ones. I'm sorry for your losses.

I make that comment because this board is full of opinions. Posters ask a question, get a wide variety of answers/opinions, but in the final anaylsis, the original poster will do whatever they want to. We who answer never know the outcome, but we all do what we want regardless of answers we read on the board.

Our experience was on Carnival, not Royal Caribbean, so your mileage may vary. Also, it involved scattering ashes rather than flowers. Nonetheless, maybe my story will help.

We had my Mom cremated and have scattered ashes at various locations that she loved. When Dad and I cruised Carnival to the Bahamas in 2006, we wanted to scatter a few at sea.

The cruise was booked last minute, so we did not think to inquire about scattering in advance. Once onboard, we approached the Purser's desk. Our intention was to quietly make our way to an unused bit of open deck and do the whole thing very discreetly.

The Purser spoke with the Captain, and arrangements beyond our wildest expectations were made. The Captain actually had to veer slightly off course in order to be far enough into international waters for scattering to be legal, so a time was set for later that afternoon.

At the appropriate time, two officers met us at our cabin. They took us below decks to a crew-only area at the aft of the ship. I believe a total of four officers were present, and we were also permitted to bring two friends that we had met onboard.

The officers did a small procession and stood at attention, then Dad and I took turns saying a few words and each scattered a bit of ashes while our friends looked on. We were surprised to see that our friends were crying and every one of the officers had tears in his eyes.

It was a short but highly moving experience. The dignity that Carnival gave to the proceedings was truly amazing to us, and it was something that we will never forget.

Since you know in advance that you want to have the memorial and toss the flowers, I would recommend coordinating with Royal Caribbean ahead of time. Let them know exactly what you want to do, and I would imagine that they would work something out for you.

How very nice and touching! I like very much that they took you to an area away from the public and that they even participated. That was a Purser and Captain with their hearts in the right place.

I make that comment because this board is full of opinions. Posters ask a question, get a wide variety of answers/opinions, but in the final anaylsis, the original poster will do whatever they want to. We who answer never know the outcome, but we all do what we want regardless of answers we read on the board.

You know, not everyone who asks for advice just turns a deaf ear and does what ever they want. I would think that at least half who ask for advice or info really are seeking the right thing to do and not just looking for someone to agree with them. And I find it humorous (and quite sad) that you didn't even recognize the poster as the OP!

And no, we all don't do what we want, or I would have used far stronger but still acceptable language in this post!

WeBeGone,

You have some advice on what places not to miss while on an overnight in Egypt. You suggested Eyewitness Travel book. I have the book, but there is too much to choose from. Can you email me at portsofcall at rocketmail dot com :confused: thanks...

on it's way

Sorry for your loss, and I appreciate your desire to have some sort of memorial service. Maybe you could release some balloons after your prayer.

Please don't release the balloons - they would cause more pollution than the flowers. At least the flowers will decompose. I am only noting this because I help clean up a local island and you would not believe all the trash that washes up on shore (shopping carts, t-shirts, cans, etc.). This year we took at least 1 ton of trash off and didn't even put a dent in the island.

I would worry more about animal eating the flowers and it possibly being poisonous to them. I would stick with saying a prayer.

Archived